NEXT STEP

Clicking Now Playing Album Art jumps to wrong entry in re-sorted playlist

Solved!

Clicking Now Playing Album Art jumps to wrong entry in re-sorted playlist

Plan: Premium

Device: Windows 10 16gb/i9 Dell

Operating System: Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Playlists have a default sort, which may just be the order the user put the songs in at creation.  When playing songs from the playlist, the album art in the bottom left corner is clickable (thanks for fixing that!) and when clicked, will jump the blue song cursor to the currently playing song in the current live playlist (this song is also highlighted in Green color on the font).  This is as expected and as long as the list has not been resorted by the viewer, this works.

However, when the sort order is changed, the cursor still uses the previous order and therefore bounces to the wrong song.  This is easy to replicate: Sort any playlist by any of the fields (reverse alphabetically by artist, or by time ascending, or whatever).  Turn on random, and hit play.   The album art is clickable for each song, but the blue cursor will rarely find the correct currently playing song, jumping to the right index row but since the list is re-sorted, actually showing the wrong song.  Restoring the original sort order allows the jump to work correctly.

This is a common problem when one part of the program doesn't realize that a view has been updated.  It should be an easy fix. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this.

This is an issue which we're aware of and which we're currently looking into, but we're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix - more info here.

We recommend you keep your app updated at all times to ensure you're rocking the latest version containing fixes for issues such as these.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

15 Replies

Hey @mwexler!

Thanks for mentioning this. 🙂

However, I would suggest you to submit this to "Ongoing Issues" here.

That way it'll be easier for everyone to find it.

All the best,

Felix

Thank you.  However, I don't see a "start a topic" button in that board.  It appears that I don't have access to create an issue, just search one.  Is there a specific way to report this issue to that board?  

Oh, my bad. Seems like only Moderators can mark posts as Ongoing Issues.

However, I think a better place for this is the Ideas page then. You can submit a new Idea here. Make sure to search if this Idea has already been posted by users before.

Let me know if you still need help!

Best,

Felix

This is not a new feature, it's clearly a bug.  I'm not asking for something to be added to the experience, I'm asking for existing functionality to work even when a playlist has been sorted.  It's a minor bug, to be sure, and one that I've seen in multiple applications where the view is out of sync with some retained pointer into a list.  It's usually easy to correct.

Any thoughts on how I can get a moderator to mark this as a bug so it get's fixed?  It's esp. problematic on long playlists.

Thanks, Michael

I understand you. Perhaps @Katerina will see this and be able to mark this as an Ongoing Issue.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

All the best,
Felix

Ping.  This is still happening.  How can I get this added as a bug?

Hey there @mwexler,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community!

We're having troubles reproducing this on our end.

However, let's first try some troubleshooting steps. For example, does the issue persist for you after a clean reinstallation of the app on your desktop device? If you haven't tried that already, you can follow the steps in this Spotify Answer to do so. 

If you're still having troubles after that, it'd be helpful if you could send us a screenrecording of what you see so we can take a closer look. Just make sure that there's no private or sensitive info included.

We'll be keeping an eye out for your reply. If you have any questions, we'll be happy to lend a hand.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Thank you, Katrina.  I've recorded a screenplay demonstrating the problem.  I grab whatever list Spotify has on front page, "Dark and Gothic".  It displays with the default sort.  Shuffle is enabled.  Double-clicking the first song, its starts to play (Lovecats by The Cure).  Skipping to a new song (with shuffle) jumps to another Cure song... but doubleclicking the album art puts the cursor one off (actually, this used to always work, but broke in a recent update.), but close.  The song playing is correctly "Greened" with a speaker icon, but the cursor is not on it.  Repeat with Siouxsie, and again with Lydia Lunch and Lene Lovic (these were way off, actually, which is not great; this used to work well in the past. )

Now, I sort the list by date added (up or down, doesn't matter).  Double Click the first song (well, 2 are not available in the US, but first available) to start playing Bauhaus, and then skip to next track (to Joy Division).  Clicking the album art puts the cursor nowhere near the playing track (it's not even on the screen).  Next track to Killing Joke, click the album art, totally wrong track.  Again, same thing with Sisters of Mercy. 

Go back to default sort, try again... it's back to being "close" but still off.   

So, the green font and "speaker" icon are on the proper track, but the highlighting via the album art is defective.   I hope this makes more sense now.

Windows 10, 1.1.16.522.g55a4b852, Spotify Premium Family.

I have the same problem on two win10 machines (both Enterprise edition, one - v1903, the other - 1803).

Yesterday I tried the advice to reinstall the app, and it solved the problem on both machines.

Today it's back.

Have we got an update? I eagerly update each week, hoping this is fixed, and it's still present, Windows and OSX.

Just checking.  Latest Windows version downloaded 1.1.19.480.g7d17e3ce still has this problem.  Same on OSX.

I'm experiencing the same problem and for me there is a clear pattern. When I change the sorting of the playlist and clicks the album cover for currently played song, I get to the place where the song originally was placed. So if the song currently playing was #4 on the list before, the song that is currently at #4 (with the new sorting) gets marked instead.

Ping.  Still happening.  Any bugs filed or updates?

I have the same problem on any client. Just start any playlist, resort by date and click on the album title. You will be directed to where the song would have been, had you not changed the order of the songs beforehand.

Marked as solution

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this.

This is an issue which we're aware of and which we're currently looking into, but we're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix - more info here.

We recommend you keep your app updated at all times to ensure you're rocking the latest version containing fixes for issues such as these.

Thanks!

Suggested posts