Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Collaborative playlist sharing is broken

Collaborative playlist sharing is broken

It seems that there has been an update to the sharing functionality, and now I am not able to share content directly to Spotify users - instead of that, a dozen of different social media platform sharing options are offered.

This is fine for sharing, but actually removes the ability to invite collaborative users. I can change the playlist to "collaborative" but I do not have any option to invite other users as the "Share" function now only offers social media sharing options. Is there some magical way to actually invite users to my playlist, or have you accidentally destroyed this option?

Looking forward to your answer!

6 Replies

Hey @tszajko, thanks for posting! 

Are you asking about the share as a private message / inbox? 

If so, sadly this feature has been taken down from the app a while ago. 

Here's the thread where you can read more about this and leave your feedback : )

MartinStoichkovSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi!

Thank you for reaching out, but I am afraid that you missed my point. My problem is very simple: Spotify allows you to create "collaborative" playlists that allow multiple users to edit the playlist the content. This function is still operational as you can see it in the attachment. However, I can't add people to the playlist.

In the earlier version of the client, adding people to a collaborative playlist was done via the "Share" option where I could select the Spotify users that I wanted to share the playlist with. After selecting them, they became co-owners and were able to edit the playlist on their own. The new sharing function does not allow me to do this, as there is no option to share with Spotify users - therefore I can't add anyone else to the playlist.

I hope this message helps to clarify the issue. 

Best regards,

collaborative.png

Hey back! 

Yes, I got your message, but as I said in my previous reply, sadly the feature to "share in a private message in the app" has been removed from Spotify. 

Anyway, you can still copy the link to the playlist and send it to your friends via message on facebook or somewhere else. Every user who follow the playlist will be able to add songs to it  🙂 

For reference, you're talking about this, right? 

Screen Shot 2016-01-21 at 10.36.13 PM.png

MartinStoichkovSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I rePosted my suggestion at the following Reddit link

https://www.reddit.com/r/spotify/comments/5q9lf6/your_music_10_000_tracks_limit/dg2y487/

Cheers . . . .

I am using the desktop app.  My friend made a playlist collaborative, shared the link with me via email, I found the playlist by searching the link he provided, I am following the playlist, but when I click the elipses next to a song and drag my mouse over "Add to Playlist" his playlist is not an option.  Additionally, when I click the elipses next to a song on his playlist "Remove from this Playlist" is greyed out and unavailable for clicking.  

Essentially, as a non-owner, I cannot add or remove songs from a collaborative playlist even though it is set as collaborative and I am following it. We keep playing around with it, tried logging out and back in, tried re-following the playlist, but we can't figure it out.  Please help!

Good for you, @amye1!  And welcome to this world-wide discussion of what works and what Might work, if you know what I mean . . . .

This problem has happened to me several times in different combinations.

What worked for me before was trying several things.

* Make both of you follow each other-- So that, for example, the "View, Friend Feed" works for both of you.

* Start from a new playlist-- Make the playlist "Collaborative" without making it "Public"-- Sometimes I guess, the "History" of the playlist interferes with "Collaborative additions of tracks".

* Don't use the ellipses next to a song.

* To Add a song to the Collaborative list-- Highlight the song in the SourcePlaylist, LeftClick and drag the song onto the TargetPlaylist in the left panel, keeping the LeftClick button down-- When the TargetPlaylist opens, drag the track into the desired position in the TargetPlaylist.

Start there, does any of the above make it work for you?

Cheers!  And great listening!

Suggested posts