USA

Device

Windows PC; Pixel 5a

Operating System

Windows 10

Spotify Version

Windows 1.2.5.1006.g22820f93 and Android 8.8.12.545

My Question or Issue

Connect to devices (in my case, a Sonos) doesn't work. I try to connect to a Sonos, and (at best) playback just stops, but mostly it also clears my queue/playlist. This happens from desktop app and Android.

Yes: I've restarted/reinstalled/refreshed a dozen times. This has been an ever-more-frequent problem for about a year.

It's maddening considering I pay for Spotify premium, but I guess I may cancel soon if I can't use it.

14 Replies

Hi there @Artiloop 

Thanks for reaching out. Could you connect all devices to a different network and see if that changes anything? If necessary, you can make a hotspot with your phone. Additionally, a video showcasing the behaviour would be very helpful to us.

Keep us posted.

JoanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

See attached screen cap. My network is the only one available, but I've rebooted the router many times. This is a sporadic, but increasingly frequent, issue.

You gonna respond maybe?

Hey there @Artiloop

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

We suggest that you check if the firmware of your speakers is up to date. 

On another note, we'd like to know if the Connect feature works fine on other devices. If the issue is only with Sonos, we'd recommend removing the accounts and re-adding them. 

Let us know how it goes. 

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Thanks for the reply. All my firmware is up-to-date, and I've removed and re-added accounts more than a few times. I have two Sonos speakers - a Play and a Roam - and this issue happen with both (occasionally, switching to play from my phone and then to one of the speakers rather than direct from the desktop will work, but just as often it also fails and wipes my queue). All this to say: the issue is in the Spotify software.

Hey @Artiloop,

Thanks for your reply.

Would it be possible to try connecting the devices to a hotspot as suggested by @Joan above? This will help us narrow down the possible cause of the issue.

Cheers,

MihailYModerator

As I noted above, I don't have access to another network or hotspot. I've rebooted my router too (and factory reset it at least once for different reasons too) - doesn't make a difference.

Hi there @Artiloop 

Thanks for the reply. You can make a hotspot using your phone and connect your devices to that. This can help exclude any possible network issues. In any case, could you also double check with the Sonos support team to see if they can offer any insights on the matter? We will try to investigate this further on our end in the meantime.

Keep us posted.

JoanModerator

Tried that, same issue. I'm getting tired of paying for functionality that doesn't function.

@Joan - another thing I have discovered: as posted above, Spotify blanks after trying to connect to a speaker. If I then close the program, restart it, clear cache, and then re-attempt to connect to speaker, it works about 30% of the time. Not a complete fix, but might help the bug hunters.

Hi @Artiloop,

Thanks for the info. We will cascade this to the appropriate teams and look for a solution. In the meantime, as mentioned before, could you please also get in touch with the Sonos team and double check with them to see if there are any known issues on their end that might be causing this?

Let us know how it goes.

JoanModerator

I'm waiting on feedback from Sonos, but I will repeat that this same issue happens (albeit somewhat less frequently) when I try to move from desktop to phone using Spotify app on both. This is very obviously a spotify problem.

Sonos confirms that this isn't a problem with their software, as is consistent with the cache issues described above. Does Spotify have any intention of fixing this issue?

Hey there @Artiloop

Thanks for your reply and for all the info you've sent so far. 

Just to rule out this isn't an account specific issue, would you mind asking a friend or a relative to log in to their account on your phone or PC to see if they can replicate this issue with their account?

On another note, in order to investigate we'd need some more info from your end such as:

• the exact firmware version of the Sonos devices you're having issues with
  • the ISP you're using
  • your average internet speed
  • more info about the modem you're using
  • a video from both desktop and mobile where we can also see the queue disappearing after the issue happens

We'll pass this info on to the right teams to be looked into, however we cannot commit to a specific time frame to when or if this will be fixed as it looks like an issue with your specific set up.

We'll be waiting for your reply. 

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts