Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Control + F (Search within a playlist)

Control + F (Search within a playlist)

Im not sure why this feature would be removed, but please bring it back. Its essential.

34 Replies

I don't seem to have the feature in my playlist, yet my roommate does, and we are using the exact same version.

Update:

So my roommate and I both updated Spotify at the exact same time (to the version that came out /13/2015 around noon). She still has a Filter bar and I do not.

Attached are the photos of our computers. We are on the same collaborative playlist, with the same version of Spotify. 

IMG_1594.jpg
my spotify screen.PNG

@user-removed

Interesting is this only happening on collaborative playlists or every playlist that you yourself created with no Ctrl+F feature? You might have either found a bug in the playlist search feature with regards to collaborative playlists, or the search feature has not been expanded into collaborative playlists yet, or something is off.

Can you try going to a playlist you have created that is not collaborative, and when in the playlist try the Ctrl+F to see if the search bar pops up? The search bar will be all the way at the top of the playlist song list. Depending on which version of search you got which is random if you click anywhere it could disappear, so be all the way to the top of the playlist and then do the Ctrl+F again to be sure and not miss it popping up. There are two versions of the search bar being tested currently.

It's happening everywhere for me, in my own playlists that are noncollaborative. 

spotify screen july 14 2015.png

That is just odd two users with the same app version, one has the search and the other doesn't.

Just to be sure before you go the support option, you have also tried doing a fresh clean reinstall of the new app version as well too? Sometimes the updater process inside the app does not work so well and messes things up. And using the full offline installer makes things run correctly. You might as a last resort try doing a clean reinstall of the app using the offline full installer from here http://download.spotify.com/SpotifyFullSetup.exe and see if there is a difference.

To do a clean reinstall.

1. Log out and exit the desktop app, and now uninstall the app using the windows program uninstaller feature from the control panel.

2 . Do a system wide keyword search for Spotify and remove all folders left behind from the uninstall, as the main app folders will still be left behind from the uninstall process by Windows. Empty your recycle bin of anything with spotify in it.

3. Shut your system down completely, not just a reboot.

4. Start your system back up and go here http://download.spotify.com/SpotifyFullSetup.exe download and install the full offline installer.

5. Log back into the app and now go to a noncollaborative playlist that you created and see if the search feature is there. The search box feature should pop up within the top bar above the song listing in the playlist.

If that does not work you might try contacting Spotify support and maybe something just needs reset on the back end for your user account.

To do that you will need to contact spotify support, please go to this url https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/?contact and fill out the contact form. If you get an automated response directing you back to the community boards reply back to that email, even if it is from a noreply and a customer support rep will get with you shortly.

You can even provide a link to your thread post from the community in the information box field, so support can get a better idea of your search issue with the newer app version.

That is really all I can suggest at the moment.

Hey JayLB,

I had the same problem as OP, my friend had an identical version of spotify and yet I didn't have the search function and he did. I tried reinstalling it, and it didn't work. Instead, I created a new spotify account; instead of using Facebook login. The new account I created could search within playlists, and yet the facebook-account login could not. I noticed that when I clicked "edit" button on the facebook-account-login, the option to search was NOT there. 

http://imgur.com/Kgzn2GV

On the other hand, the new account I created DID have the option of searching. (filter - control + f) 

http://imgur.com/99xREXi

Perhaps then, the problem is to do with facebook login and the spotify player? 

Anyway, I hope I've helped. Can you confirm with OP that if she creates a new account her problem dissapates? 

Thanks, 

Seb

Seb and JayLB,

I actually have two Spotify accounts, I made the one through Facebook a long time ago, didn't use it, and made the non-Facebook one that I use now. I just now tried both accounts; my Facebook login accound DOES have control-F search, while my non-Facebook account does not! Which is a shame, because I only use my non-Facebook account. I hope this gets fixed soon!

Huh, well looks like this is something a dev will probable have to look into then. I have had a facebook-spotify account since Spotify first became available in the States, and I have the search feature available for 1.0.9.133. Not sure what the issue is now really, the only conclusions I can draw is that there is a local system file corruption on some of the user devices preventing the search feature becoming available for certain customer accounts, even devices that update to newer app version. That is why I suggested maybe trying a fresh clean reinstall of the app, but seems that does not fix the issue. Well maybe a Rockstar will see this post and escalate the issue for everyone. I do not have access to the board area for escalations purposes anymore, so another Rockstar will have to escalate this issue for everyone.

Okay. Is there a way to tag a Rockstar or something? I understand if there's not. I'd just really REALLY love to be able to access the Control F feature because my playlists are typically very long.

@user-removed This should be possible now. What version of Spotify are you using? 

1.0.10.107.gd0dfca3a

Like I said, I DO NOT have Control + F on my non-Facebook connected Spotify account, but as soon as I log in to my Facebook-connected account, I magically have the Control + F feature.

I have the same issue. Created a new account to solve it.

I did find a work around some time ago:

• Open desired playlist
  • Wait a few seconds (3 to 5)

• Hit CTRL+P
  • Turn "Show unavailable tracks in playlists" on
  • Turn "Show unavailable tracks in playlists" off
  • Open same playlist as in step 1
  • Filter button should now be visible.

It's far from an ideal solution, but it works if you only need to use the filter function on rare occasions.

You're right, strangely enough that works! But you can only click that filter bar and use it ONCE, and then it goes away and you have to repeat the process. Like you said it is far from ideal but it's nice to know. 

Hopefully this will get remedied in the future, because I really don't want to create a new account.

Just a reminder.

Search still does not work in : 

Local Files

Albums in Your Music

Artists in Your Music

When will this be updated? Today is about a year from this post claiming it will be fixed, and it still has not been, at least consistently..

Suggested posts