Controlling Spotify on Windows PC from Google Home

Re: Controlling Spotify on Windows PC from Google Home

Lysdestic

honestly, the best thing for any of us to do is to cancel our memberships.

There's no point in asking spotify to *improve* their service by adding features when they are so dead-set on axxing popular features from the app with every subsequent release and laughing at their userbase.

EVERY release we lose something new, I don't even know why I bother even checking to see if somone has asked spotify to *add* something like this when I'm wondering if Spotify can do it. It seems like every time I come here it's either a) a thread asking (with no response from Spotify) for a new feature, or b) a thread asking why [x] was removed, 50 replies agreeing, and one canned response from a dev saying "Oh, users like this? We'll look into it!" and then they never do. Have you tried using it in landscape mode recently? Remember how we used to get notification dots when a new album released our a favorite artist was in town? Remember how collab playlists used to be WORTH collaborating on? Sorting of search results? In-app messaging? Starred playlists? Gone, adios, buh-bye!

I've been a user since 2011. This month I'm done. I've kept Google Music this long because ad-free youtube is awesome and an included perk. More beer money for me, and even  better, Google Music is much better for curating your own uploads to have available ANYWHERE. So for you fellow local band folks out there, it's a major plus.

I've stuck around, browsed these forums hoping that a dev somewhere cared enough to actually hear from threads like this when things are canned or requested. But hear this: THEY. DON'T. CARE.

I'd advise anyone reading this to stop bending over backwards to accept the continually gutted shell that used to be spotify and switch to one of the many alternatives. I'm cancelling, myself. This song and dance is so tired and old.

They don't listen, they won't listen, and are very aware that we keep paying.

Show them why they're wrong. Make them change.

seskoi
Casual Listener

Hey guys,

Since Spotify won't implement this basic and nice feature, do you know if it's possible to do with Google Play Music?

If so, I'll switch for sure.

I looked a bit around, but I can't find any confirmation. 

Thanks !

NickParente
Casual Listener

Yup it does. I actually came from GPM. Spotify does have a lot of features I like better than google's service, but casting is certainly not one of them. 

seskoi
Casual Listener

Thank you very much Nick for your answer!

And what are those features that Spotify has but not GPM that made you change? 

I'm asking because I'm seriously considering going to GPM for this reason (casting) and also for the better integration of tracks that are not available on the service (it's a real pain in the **bleep** to add non-Spotify tracks to the library for them to be available on all devides). 

Thanks again! :) 

NickParente
Casual Listener

Spotify just feels much more alive and relevant to me than GPM. I like things like Discover Weekly and the Daily Mixes it creates. I think Spotifys playlists are better integrated, and better curated than google's (as well as playlists created by artists) The interface overall I like better, like the ability to easily see an artists merch and tour dates, and follow specific artists. And I like the community element, like being able to see what your friends are listening to (although I still think they could do a better/more fleshed out job of integrating this). 

Also I'm fairly sure that GPM is being combined/integrated into Youtube Music at some point. Not sure how that'll manifest exactly. But yeah, the ability to add your entire library of local music to GPM is pretty great.

gb79a
Music Fan

Well after continually ignoring users asking for new, useful features and the ridiculous removal of features we DO use (where TF has my widget gone?!) I'm cancelling my premium Spotify.  The only way they'll realise is when it starts to hit them in financially as people leave.

I've just started a TIDAL HiFi trial (FLAC-quality streaming? Widget for the app? FOOK YES!  It's like it's 2019!) - I've realised I don't use Spotify that much on Google Home now so I'm going to move on.

NickParente
Casual Listener

Does Tidal have nearly the music library that Spotify does? If so then you've just convinced me to change. 

Highlighted

seskoi
Casual Listener

Wow, yeah the removal of the widget is the nail in the coffin for me. 

How can they not listen to the community like that ?! 

gb79a
Music Fan

TIDAL = 60m songs

Lossless sound quality (FLAC/ALAC @ 44.1khz 16Bit).  Also has MQA ultra-high quality if you have kit that can play it.

Has a widget

£20/mo.

Spotify = 40m songs

Compressed 320kbps

Does not have a widget

£10/mo.

https://www.whathifi.com/tidal/review

The only thing I can't do is control TIDAL via Google Home but I CAN cast it from the phone to individual Google Home Max speakers or the whole Home Group.  Small sacrifice really if I'm honest.  Surprisingly you can really hear the benefit of FLAC - I didn't think it would be that noticeable but it is.

I can't see me ever coming back to Spotify now.

SUGGESTED POSTS