Premium

Country

UK 

Device

Windows PC & Google Home

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro, Google Assistant 

My Question or Issue

It's 2019 and I'm busy telling a small white plastic pot to do things in my home.  It's pretty cool.  I can even control Spotify with it - neato!  I can get Google Home to play Spotify on any device in my home except my PC; annoyingly this happens to be attached to the Big Amp with the Big Speakers and is where I would most like to hear Spotify 99% of the time.

I can control playback on any device FROM the Windows PC - why can't I control playback TO the PC from any device?  Why can't Spotify present my PC as an audio playback device to Google Home?  What makes it all the more confounding is that I can send Spotify from the app on my Android phone (Pixel 2 XL since you ask) and play it on the PC.  All my devices can clearly all see each other: why can't I do this with voice?

And before anyone suggests it I don't want to have to add another device (such as Chromecast) which would mean having to switch inputs on the amplifier or TV or other such faffing about - I just want to be able to be able to say, "Hey Google; play Spotify on the PC..." and have it play.

Is it a Spotify issue or do I need to go and moan at Google?

18 Replies

Re: Controlling Spotify on Windows PC from Google Home

gb79a
Music Fan

I'm so glad I took the time to ask this question...

Thanks Spotify...

sambahadori

Please make this happen Spotify, this is a big feature with great value and with a small implementation!

Bennyball

This is something I'd really like to do too, come on Spotify!

PeterTz

I'd love to see that happen sometime in the (hopefully near) future!

That's the only thing stopping me form gettin a Google Home device...

madmeech
Regular

I also just realized that I couldn't select my Google Home speaker from my PC. I can select my XBox 1 and PS4 but not the Google Home device.

NickParente
Casual Listener

I gotta assume this is a spotify issue, because I can cast to my Google Home from Google Music on my PC, or youtube, or chrome in general. Once I have begun casting to my Home via my phone, I can control it via my PC, which is cool, but it would be much more convenient to just start it from my PC itself. Please help spotify!

Chewiiie
Gig Goer

I have exactly the same issue. I have a mediacenter running windows10 connected to a set of 5.1 speakers in the living room and would love to use my Google Home to control Spotify on it !

JohanDavidTurga

Usa IFTT, Join y Eventghost

Tyso900

Have been researching a fix for this exact problem for some time now, can't tell if spotify has said anything on the topic yet. Tried IFTT + pushbullet with no luck... I would prefer not to have to rely on third party software to do such a simple thing with my google devices and premium membership for 2+ years. Pixel 3 xl, Google Home, Windows 10 + external speakers. 

SUGGESTED POSTS