Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Crossfade not working when listening albums

Crossfade not working when listening albums

I found a weird bug when crossfade is not working when playing music by albums.

29 Replies

Hey @Denial94

That's a weird issue!

Could you tell me:

1. when this started happening?

2. if the issue is still there when you use Spotify on another computer (if possible)?

3. is the issue still there when you toggle crossfade off and then back on?
4. does this happen to all the albums, or just some specific ones?

The best I can offer right now is performing a reinstallation of the client. This should wipe out weird issues like this.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

1. I noticed it month ago I was not taking care about that before.

2. It's happening on PC, Android. All apps are updated to latest version

3. Yes, It's happening all time after reclicking crossfade option on PC and Android.

4. It's happens to all songs when next song is from the same album.

For example:  I have music album with tracks 1-3.

Crossfade is not working when Track 1 is ending and Track 2 starts to play.

But, when Track 1 is ending and then Track 3 is starting to play (shuffle) then crossfade is working.

Can you check it on your PC/Android  device? Enable crossfade and then start to play any music album. Once with shuffle off and once with shuffle on.

@Denial94

So I pulled Spotify up on my father's machine (fresh install and everything).
Win7 64bit on a Latitude E6410.

Set crossfade to 12 seconds (just to make it as obvious as possible).
Shuffling the album, crossfade works neatly. Very good.
Taking shuffle off... It doesn't seem to work. It may play into another song, but without any smooth fading. Tried turning hardware acceleration off, doesn't work that way either.
Playing an album where songs are already running into one another sounds more like as if I'm playing the CD, gapless, no crossfade whatsoever.

I don't have an Android device to try this on, sadly.

Maybe when playing the album as is, crossfade is turned off for... more authentic album playback? I know quite a few albums where songs already are running into each other. I sadly can't find any information about it, but you're not the only one.

SebastySpotify Star

I seem to be having the same problem. Crossfade only works if the next song is not on the same album as the song currently playing. Doesn't matter if I'm on an artist's page or a playlist.

This is extremely dumb. Its pretty much only when I'm listening to albums that I want them to crossfade. 

I'm seeing the same issue. Crossfading does not work when you're playing two songs that are sequential on an album. I understand wanting to listen to an album "as is," but if I wanted to do that I would turn the crossfade feature off. Would love to see a fix for this!

EDIT: I should note that I'm on a Mac, not Windows, and am still seeing this. I came across this thread via Google while searching for a solution.

bump

fix this idiots

bump

same goes for me.

/bump

Hello all,

For respecting the way an artist has organized an album, crossfade is only working on playlist.

If you want listen an album with crossfade, it just needs to insert it in a playlist.

Have a good listening 🙂

twitter.com/soundofus

www.soundofus.com

SoundofusSpotify Star

Me too... wish to have it!

thanks.

Wow, thank you so much for your responce.

The reason a 1 second crossfade would be appreciated in albums is due to the small "glitch" that manifests itself when moving from one song to the next on albums intended to have a smooth transition.

Placing the albums in playlists solves this probes though, as it is only on a select few songs and albums this applies!

Its weird because its still not working. 

Hey @Denial94

I've been confirmed that this is not a bug, it's intended to be so. There are many albums with songs that already fade into one another, adding crossfade would mix it up pretty badly.

I believe the artist wants listeners to hear the album the original way (as intended by the artist). If you want to hear the album with crossfade, add it to a playlist. You can also try shuffling to get crossfade, but I'm not 100% sure if it worked on a single album (works perfectly on artist pages).

Have a nice day 😞

SebastySpotify Star

As I said, adding album to playlist doesnt makes crossfade working, when I will play 1st song and then 2nd and then 3th etc.

If you mean a playlist where you have around 500 tracks. And then you want to play songs from one album . 1 by 1. 1st, 2nd, 3rd , 4th etc. Then it doesnt work its fvcked up. Spotify is.sicking so hard.

Edited

@HeraZeus

When you buy a physical CD or a Vinyl, unless it has been realized that way, you can't crossfade the tracks when you play it.

An album has been recorded, mixed and mastered a certain way. It needs to respect the work of the artist as the album has been created.

So there is nothing wrong to not be able to crossfade an album when you play it from the artist page or the album page.

Playlist is different as when you create it, you organize the songs like you want. So, in this case, crossfade is a very useful feature.

twitter.com/soundofus

www.soundofus.com

SoundofusSpotify Star

Edited

Suggested posts