Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Data on "C" drive still grows even when I select offline storage to be on a completely separate driv

Solved!

Data on "C" drive still grows even when I select offline storage to be on a completely separate driv

Data on "C" drive still grows even when I select offline storage to be on a completely separate drive.

I thought that I could keep my "C" Drive clean and slim by selecting an alternate offline storage location and have all the listening related data going to that location instead of my "C" drive.

Previous desktop versions worked in this fashion and I am hoping that you have a solution to address this for me.

the default "c" drive data folder = 6.18GB

(C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic_zpdnekdrzrea0\LocalCache\Spotify\Data)

and the "offline storage" folder = 4.82mb

(Y:\Spotify offline storage) I created on my "y" drive (a separate internal SSD data only drive).

As you can see, my data is still going to and being stored in the default "C" drive installation location. I have not yet selected any music to be downloaded for offline listening and that is why the "y" drive location is so small.

Thanks in advance for your attention and help.

Plan - Premium

Country - Canada

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro x64

Spotify storage issue - Annotation 2019-08-04 211633.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

The location on your C Drive you are referring to is only cache. You can't change the cache location within the App, only the Offline storage as you already did.

Offline storage is used for downloaded songs.

You can make a symlink to another location.

Delete the folder you want to be stored at a different location, open elevated CMD and use mklink.

Example:

mklink -d "old directory path" "new directory path"

mklink -d "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic_zpdnekdrzrea0\LocalCache\Spotify\Data" "Y:\Spotify local cache"

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

@DAT wrote:

Question - will I need to repeat this when the app gets updates ?

No, both changes are transparent to spotify.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Marked as solution

The location on your C Drive you are referring to is only cache. You can't change the cache location within the App, only the Offline storage as you already did.

Offline storage is used for downloaded songs.

You can make a symlink to another location.

Delete the folder you want to be stored at a different location, open elevated CMD and use mklink.

Example:

mklink -d "old directory path" "new directory path"

mklink -d "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic_zpdnekdrzrea0\LocalCache\Spotify\Data" "Y:\Spotify local cache"

As you use the Windows Store version you can also try to move Spotify entirely to your Y Drive.

In Winsows open Settings --> Apps --> Search for spotify --> move to different drive.

Thanks - this worked with a little tweaking.

Combined this with moving the app to my data drive using the settings in Windows.

Will monitor - but all looks good with these two changes

Thanks

Thanks for the idea - forgot about this Windows feature.

Combined with the symlink suggestion which addresses the huge local cache issue - I have incorporated both suggestions and thank you both.

Marked as solution

@DAT wrote:

No, both changes are transparent to spotify.

Excellent !!!

Suggested posts