Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Deleting and limited cache size

Deleting and limited cache size

Hi

Is it safe to delete the cache files in the windows spotify app, only now that you have removed the limit setting. its growing to stupid sizes. currently over 8GB!

So, is it safe to delete them? and is there a way to limit it in the future.

2 Replies

Hey ukwizard,

Deleting the cache files is perfectly safe, unless you have Premium and downloaded songs, in which case those will be deleted too. However, if you limit the cache using the below method, the cache will be automatically trimmed to the size you set. To limit the size of the cache, navigate to

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Spotify

in Windows Explorer's navigation bar. Open the prefs file with a code editor such as Notepad++ or Geany or some such equivalent. Attempting to open it with Notepad will result in a mess. At the end of the file, you're going to want to add the line

storage.size=

and put a value in megabytes right after the equals sign. So

storage.size=1024

will limit the cache to 1GB. See the attached picture for an example of how it should look.

Hope this helps!

gryffyn

Was my response helpful?
Please like it and accept it as a solution 🙂

It would be beautiful if you guys add this limits into the Preferences inside the application, they could be located inside the "Advanced Settings". So you cold select how much space the app is allowed tp take take of cache on your hardisk before erasing and restarting that cache.

Right now I've almost 4gb with no offline songs saved in it... So I really don't understand where does ALL of that cache comes from. Cheking around those files I can see that they are storing things like... What the persons I followed had recently added to their lists:

(added_by grimes_spotifyx
timestamp
1515290055x added_by grimes_spotifyx timestamp
1515287185x added_by grimes_spotifyx timestamp
1515286299x added_by grimes_spotifyx timestamp
1515288071x added_by grimes_spotifyx timestamp
1515286263x added_by grimes_spotifyx timestamp
1515287187x added_by grimes_spotifyx timestamp
1515284646x added_by grimes_spotifyx timestamp
1515899289x added_by grimes_spotifyx timestamp
1515287668x added_by grimes_spotifyx timestamp
1515287980x added_by grimes_spotifyx timestamp
1515899549x added_by grimes_spotifyx timestamp
1515284088x added_by grimes_spotifyx timestamp
1515900242x added_by grimes_spotifyx timestamp
1515287424x added_by grimes_spotifyx timestamp
1515284069x added_by grimes_spotifyx timestamp
1515904020x added_by grimes_spotifyx timestamp
1515287395x added_by grimes_spotifyx timestamp
1515284105x added_by grimes_spotifyx timestamp)

But some of this info are years old! Why should I want to store that much of useless info into my machine!? That dosen't event makes the app faster from where I'm seeing and comprehend...

I'm sorry if I'm rambling about this issue, but for real, it's really anoying when you have machines with not that much disk space and this app is always in the top 3 space consuming things on it.

xx

Suggested posts