Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] All share party members can pick / pause / play songs

Solved!

[Desktop] All share party members can pick / pause / play songs

Spotify should implement the ability for both party members in the share function to be able to select, pause and play songs - not just the host who created the invite. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey again, @AHHB00 

This way, I recommend that you take a look at this following live ideas and check if they cover your suggestion:

If they don't, remember that you submit a new suggestion anytime on the Idea board. You just need to make your suggestion clear and unique. 🙂

If you have any other further questions or need more help, let me know! I'd love to help!

Best Regards,
hezorg

LuanSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Updated on 2020-06-22

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange. 

First of all, I'd like to have a greater look at your suggestion, so make sure you've taken a look at this article:

Have you already tried the steps on the support article above? If affirmative, what happened? Have you tried any troubleshooting steps?

Keep us posted! 

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

LuanSpotify Star

Hi! 

This seems like exactly what I was referring to in the post - but this feature is only currently available on tablets / mobile it seems? I've edited my original post to reflect this for the desktop platform specifically. 

Thanks! 😁

Hey again, @AHHB00 

We've made some tests on backstage and arrived at the conclusion that this feature is already available on desktop too. It’s possible to control the queue, add tracks in the queue and pause from the desktop as long as someone is joined properly. It looks like it should be possible to control the queue, add tracks and control the queue from any desktop/mobile device. However, you cannot start a session directly from the desktop. This way, I recommend that you support this Live Idea

Kind Regards, 

hezorg

LuanSpotify Star

Hi @hezorg, 

I appreciate you taking the time to test this out, it's great to know that this is possible. Could you please tell me what testing / steps you did to make this possible? I think I've tried out the queue function before whilst in a sharing party, but I thought queues were individual, so whatever I added to my queue / played from my queue would not be reflected to the other person if I'm not the leader. 

EDIT: Just realized you said 'cannot start the session directly from desktop' would this mean I need to start it on mobile? How would I then be able to transition this to desktop? Thanks

Hey again, @AHHB00 

My apologies for the delay...

In order to control the queue from their desktop, you'll first need to join a group session from a mobile device.

The steps to joining one are here but you can also follow them up here:

1. From a mobile device, tap the Now Playing bar at the bottom of the screen.
  2. Tap 68747470733a2f2f737570706f72742d61727469636c65732e73706f7469667963646e2e636f6d2f61727469636c6573322f696e6c696e655f69636f6e732f69636f6e5f636f6e6e6563745f6465766963652e706e67.png.
  3. Find the sharing code under Start a group session.
  4. If a friend has shared a code to join, tap SCAN TO JOIN
  5. Point the camera at the code.
  6. Once you've joined successfully your friend's group session, you should see a brief pop up message about this. Click GOT IT.
  7. Now you can add to the queue and control what is being played, either from the mobile app or the desktop app (provided you're accessing the same account).

Let me know if you have any other doubts about it.

Kind Regards, 

hezorg

LuanSpotify Star

Hi!
Apologies from my side for slow response, also. I've just tried this out, and it still isn't what we're after. While I'm able to start a group session from my mobile device, my friend is able to join, but as soon as one of us transfers back to the desktop (set 'listen to' device as Desktop), it'll say that we've left the session / are unavailable.

So there's no way for both of us to listen to the same song while we're on desktop, while also letting us BOTH select, queue and pause / play the songs we want - only the host is allowed do these things 😞

Hey again,
After checking everything, we’ve arrived at the conclusion that perhaps you’re experiencing a little issue when reproducing songs on your desktop. I’d like just to let you know that we’ve made some tests on our side and we were able to join a session and control the queue/play/pause and everything, but we couldn’t switch the playback from Connect. Just summing it up, when you’re a party session with someone else, you should both be able to control the music using the desktop app. While the host can switch the device that is playing music from the mobile app to their own desktop, the person who joined can't do that for their own desktop.

But just for your information, you cannot listen to the same song remotely. The party session is a feature that allows multiple users to control the song in one device per time, only.

After all this explanation, if you are experiencing an issue controlling the party queue from your desktop, we can try some troubleshooting. First of all, try to log out and log in back to your account on desktop and check if the issue persists.

Keep me posted!

Kind Regards,

hezorg

LuanSpotify Star

Hi there, 

Yes I think that's the issue here, it's only playing through one device. I'm not sure what the feature is called which allows you to listen to music with a friend on Desktop (the 'listen along' feature?) but the idea of this thread was essentially the exact same as this, except allow both party members to play and pause whatever song, not just the host who created the invite. 

The issue with 'group sessions' is that it will only play via the host device, I'm looking for a way to play the same song on two devices, but allow both listeners to take control of what's playing. 

Marked as solution

Hey again, @AHHB00 

This way, I recommend that you take a look at this following live ideas and check if they cover your suggestion:

If they don't, remember that you submit a new suggestion anytime on the Idea board. You just need to make your suggestion clear and unique. 🙂

If you have any other further questions or need more help, let me know! I'd love to help!

Best Regards,
hezorg

LuanSpotify Star

Happy to know that my answer was useful to you. And remember that you can count on us, always, when necessary! 💚

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5vGN4cBFPYeMun4GR8EryF

Kind Regards,

hezorg

LuanSpotify Star

Suggested posts