Premium

Country

Canada

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows

My Question or Issue

So this started this morning, but my spotify desktop app won't play anything.  I can search music just fine, and if I hit play it will show progress on the song, but no audio is coming out of the speakers.  Other sounds work fine, and oddly enough I can still play spotify through the web app (not ideal with my setup at the office) and the desktop app is connecting, because when I am playing things through the web-app it's showing that it's playing the music through the web player.

The following steps are what i've tried so far:

Restart Laptop, log out and in from desktop app, reinstall desktop app

Anyone have this happen, and know what I can do to fix it?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @usbprime,

Thank you for keeping us in the loop and for the info sent.

Since you've mentioned that this is a set-up made in your office, are you using a VPN for work? If so, we'd suggest turning it off while testing your app as VPNs could cause different connection issues and it's not recommended.

If you're not using a VPN, could you try downloading the version of the app that is available on the Microsoft store (as it is more Windows specialized) to see if it makes any difference? 

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Hey @usbprime,

Thanks for posting in the Community!

This sounds odd indeed, and it's good that you've done some troubleshooting already! This could be so cache related issue with the app on your PC device. It's worthwhile to perform a clean reinstall of the app, as this is more thorough than the normal reinstallation and ensures that no cached data will cause interference with the new instance of the desktop app. Please follow the linked guide and see if this will make any difference for you.

If the clean reinstall doesn't help you, please report back to us with a short video of the situation, as well as the exact version number of the Spotify app.

Hope this does the trick for you, reach out if you need more help!

Kiril Moderator

Good Morning @kiril,

So I did the complete uninstall, cleared my Cache, and still no luck.  I recorded a video, but it was too large to post here, so i uploaded it to Youtube.  You can find the video link here https://youtube.com/shorts/GqLOi9VkDQ8?feature=share that shows the issue.

Hey again @usbprime,

Thanks for your response and video.

Sorry to hear that the clean reinstall didn't make any difference for you. The situation looks odd indeed, but could be specific to your particular setup, as so far we weren't able to replicate it on our end. Could we ask you to share with us what is the version number of the desktop app installed currently on your PC? You can find and copy the version number from the 3-dots menu on the top left corner of the app by going to Help>About Spotify. This info will help us in investigating this further and giving you a better advice. 

Keep us posted, we'll be on the lookout for your reply.

Kiril Moderator

Hi @kiril,

my version is 1.1.86.857.g3751ee08.

Marked as solution

Hey @usbprime,

Thank you for keeping us in the loop and for the info sent.

Since you've mentioned that this is a set-up made in your office, are you using a VPN for work? If so, we'd suggest turning it off while testing your app as VPNs could cause different connection issues and it's not recommended.

If you're not using a VPN, could you try downloading the version of the app that is available on the Microsoft store (as it is more Windows specialized) to see if it makes any difference? 

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator

@oscarDC VPN on or off didn't change the behavior. I downloaded the app through the windows store and played a song, and at first it wasn't working, but about 10 seconds in, the audio found it's way to my speakers.  It seems to be fine now.  I half wonder if the app isn't selecting audio devices in the background (there's no setting that I can see to manually pick that) and my office setup has multiple audio input and output that I change for various reasons, so mayhap it was selecting the wrong audio device and was sending the audio to something that wasn't hooked up/turned on.  I'll watch this to see if there's further issues.

Thank you and @kiril for your help. 😄 

Hey @usbprime,

Thank you for keeping in contact. 

We're glad to know that everything is working fine by now. We appreciate the time you took following the troubleshooting process and sharing the solution.

It's always a pleasure to help. If anything else comes up, remember that we're just a post away.

Cheers!

OscarDCModerator

This fixed it for me.  Spotify suddenly stopped playing mid-track.  I restarted it, tried playing other tracks, and nothing.  I found this answer, so I turned off my office VPN (which I'd turned on quite some time earlier) and suddenly Spotify (on Windows) came alive again.  Spotify gets broken by corporate VPNs, it seems.

this has suddenly happened to me today. uninstalled/reinstalled, no change. installed from Microsoft Store, no change. turned off VPN, no change. what next do you think? Maybe it might clear up by the morning.....?

seems resolved now. I simply had to switch my audio output (left click speaker icon - bottom right, Win10) from DAC to internal, then back to DAC.

Suggested posts