Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Desktop app stuck on black screen

Some users have reported performance issues with the desktop application. Users are able to log in to their accounts, but the app then displays a black screen. This is being investigated.

Hi there folks,

Recently it seems this issue persists on MacOS and Windows 11. We're continuing to investigate this on our end and are hoping to find a solution soon. In the meantime, if you have this behaviour, please consult the steps below:

For Windows 11, please provide us the following info, alongside the Windows version and app version:

1. Could you please provide us your pref files? This can be found in the following directories:
    1. For the Windows store version: 
      %appdata%\Local\Packages\SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic_zpdnekdrzrea0\LocalState\Spotify\prefs
    2. For the non-store version: 
      %appdata%\Roaming\Spotify\prefs
  2. Is this happening with autostart or regular manual starts of the app?
  3. Does this occur with Hardware Acceleration disabled?
  4. Can the user hit the maximize/minimize buttons? Does doing so resolve the issue?

For MacOS, please provide us the following info, alongside the device model MacOS version and app version:

1. Could you please provide us your pref files? This can be found in the following directory:
    /Users/{username}/Library/Application Support/Spotify/prefs 
  2. Does this happen when manually launching the app from the Finder or when the app starts automatically on machine startup? Or does it happen with both?
  3. Do you have hardware acceleration enabled? If so, try disabling it and let us know if that makes a difference.
  4. When you get the black screen, could you try maximizing the window? That can cause the app to re-render and may resolve the issue. You can do this either from the three buttons at the top or from the View drop-down menu
  5. In the settings for launching the app on startup, try using "Yes" instead of "Minimized" and see if that makes a difference.

Keep us posted. In the meantime, we will post any updates as soon as we have them.

Comments
AlexHt

Hello,

The new version of spotify is just a black screen. I have to reinstall it with the spotify offline installer. Tried these steps before :

-Installed it from the MS Store
-Installed it from the Spotify website
-Uninstalled it, deleted all the registry keys from spotify, reinstalled it
-Disable every app and lanuch spotify, same issue
-Launched spotify in windows safe mode, it works ! Back to windows "normal" mode, the black screen is back again !

Let me know if you need anything !

Dian

Hey @AlexHt,

Thanks for posting in the Community and all the troubleshooting tried so far.

Have you tested if the app behaves the same on a different device with the same operating system?

If it works in Safe Mode (Windows, right?), then it is most probably related yo your particular device. In that case you can try reinstalling the operating system.

Let us know how that went,

Cheers!

seanv1

I've been having this issue since yesterday as well. I've uninstalled, reinstalled from both MS store and Spotify download.

AlexHt

Spotify works perfectly on a different pc, same antivirus, except its on Windows 10. I'm on Windows 11. As I have the old version of Spotify working via the offline installer, and blocked auto updates, I don't want to reinstall Windows completly. So it's not a big deal for now, but I hope it will be fixed in the future, as I dont want to be on this outdated version for too long.

AlejaR

Hey folks,

Thanks for your replies and for the info shared.

@seanv1, would you mind sending the make/model and OS of the affected device along with the Spotify version you're running there?

On another note, ad mentioned by @Dian above, can you try running the app in Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking to rule out any issues with your default Windows settings and basic device drivers? Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

@AlexHt, do you use a VPN? If yes, try switching it off. Is this happening if you change the internet connection you're using? Is this happening over WiFi? Ethernet? Both? If possible, you can create a hotspot from your phone and connect your computer to it, to see if you notice any difference. Give it a try and let us know if changing the connection makes any difference.

On another note, you might need to check for any local settings on your device that could be blocking the app. In case there's an antivirus software or such that could be restricting access to the app, try whitelisting Spotify. 

Keep us in the loop!

seanv1

It is a desktop, not prebuilt.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621

I won't have a chance to try safe mode for a few days.

AlejaR

Hey @seanv1,

Thanks for your reply.

You can take all the time you need to test the safe mode. Would you mind sending us the Spotify version you're running? 

Meanwhile, is this happening if you change the internet connection you're using? Is this happening over WiFi? Ethernet? Both? If possible, you can create a hotspot from your phone and connect your computer to it, to see if you notice any difference. Give it a try and let us know if changing the connection makes any difference.

Just to confirm, do you use a VPN on the affected computer? If yes, try switching it off.

Keep us in the loop!

AlexHt

So I tried updating the app with my phone connection, same happens. I suspect BitDefender to be the problem, even if I already tried to disable it. @seanv1 can you tell me which antivirus you are using ?

The version that works for me is the 1.2.5.1006 one.

edit : sorry for the delay, I don't receive any emails from this, even if the option to receive one after getting a reply is active...

seanv1
Just Windows defender
seanv1
My desktop is wired. I can test the phone tethering when I get back home.

No vpn running. I am running pihole on my network, I checked the logs there and didn’t see anything blocked.