Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Lost Features, no friend tab, etc.

Solved!

[Desktop] Lost Features, no friend tab, etc.

Since a few days i lost a few features which i would like to have back.

Plan

Premium

Country

Austria

Device

Lenovo Laptop

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

My Desktop Version got updated all of a sudden and now i got a completely different look. I don't have the friend activity bar on the right side, i can't change my playlists covers or description. I can't even see my own profile like before on the top right. It is like the phone version because i honestly can't customize anything anymore.

Same on the Web player. I downloaded an older version already, which helps, but it updates itself automatically and gets back to the new(?) design. Is there anyone with the same issues or with a solution?

Thanks.

Spotify.PNG

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there folks,

We received valuable feedback during recent weeks and we are very grateful for that. 

The team will now take the time to analyze it together with the ideas proposed by the Community.

In the upcoming weeks, you'll continue to notice changes to the Desktop client - try restarting or logging out periodically to see these changes. At Spotify, we’re always testing new ways of improving the experience for our users. As with any of our tests, some could potentially make its way onto Spotify, while others are mainly aimed at capturing valuable insights.

Please continue to create Ideas and vote in the Community, this really helps us to understand what's most important to you and your listening experience.

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I pinged them on twitter and looks like they fixed it. I can confirm that after logging out and logging back in I see the normal desktop version on the desktop app.

https://twitter.com/SpotifyCares/status/1276176654088445954

View solution in original post

344 Replies

Hey @mcoutlook 

Just to get a better picture, I'd like to know what version you're currently running and what was the version of the older client you tried installing? 🙂

You can see the version in menu dots - Help - About Spotify.

The Friend Activity should be enabled by clicking on the menu dots - View.

Let me know 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi @Sebasty,

thanks for reaching out.

I'm currently on the version 1.1.28.721.g5b5ee660.

The earlier version i downloaded was 1.1.24.9.

As you can see in the screenshot i don't have any options under 'view'.

Thank you for helping!

Screenshot (2).png

Free

United States

Macbook

iOS Catalina

I was able to before- but now for some reason it isn't working. I own a mac and I have the desktop app. I've tried left and right clicking everything but nothing seems to work! I've tried restarting my laptop, closing out of the app, and even downloading the app again but it doesn't work. Please help me edit my playlist cover. I'm just tryna make a cute playlist for my bf.

Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 12.49.01 AM.png

The screenshot looks like it’s taken from the web player.

sorry, I uploaded the same image-

Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 3.57.37 PM.png

Hey @spoonies_, welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

As @AeroZ mentioned you are using the web player, not the desktop app of Spotify.

Currently you can only use the desktop apps to change a playlists cover and descriptions.

Learn how to download the desktop app here

Thanks and take care 🙂

Free

United States

Macbook Pro 2015

iOS Catalina

I have the spotify app on my Macbook and it no longer lets me edit my playlist cover. How do I fix this?

Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 3.57.37 PM.png

I have the exact same problem, it seems like windows automatically changes the win32 spotify version to the windows store app version (which sucks). any comment on how to prevent this would be very much appreciated.

It looks like it shows the webplayer view in the desktop app. Not sure what to think of this. Bug I hope.

yeah i know i also can't edit anything.

i also don't see any numbers or the popularity o songs when i'm on an artists page like i used to. and when i open an album and go back to the artist's page via the arrow the album is no longer visible on the page. it is also kinda laggy. a solution would be really nice.

Could this issue and a few other threads with similar issues be escalated and investigated? I don't think this is working as intended.

I have the same issue as the other person. I've tried redownloading Spotify from the link @Loxer posted twice now, however it still looks like the web player not like the desktop app.

Device: MacBook Air, 2018

Device operating system: macOS Catalina 10.15.3

Spotify 1.1.28.721.g5b5ee660

@AeroZ 

It has been escalated. I am waiting for information on this. 🙂

Have a nice day!

SebastySpotify Star
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks 🙂

Hey guys,

This seems to be an A/B test by Spotify.

Learn more here about those.

Thanks and take care 🙂

But why are A/B tests carried out on regular users?

Not to mention such test where all the great desktop app features are ditched and they're left with a webplayer interface with lack of functionality and features?

Thanks for the information but the link and the given information doesn't help me at all.
All it says is that they are testing improvements but is is nowhere near an improvement. My 'new' (i'm having premium btw) App looks more like a downgrade. Like a modern lite version of the app.

Hey folks!

Thanks for the feedback on this.

We're always testing new features in order to improve the app and the response we get helps us make better changes.

For now we can confirm that this is a test as @Loxermentioned above. We hope to have more info on it soon.

In the meantime let us know if there's anything else we can do for you. We'll be happy to help!

ElenaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello Elena,

thank you for the information.
Would be great if this will be changed soon or improved.
Is there any way to get the older version back in the meantime because i really dislike this new look and the lack of options.

Thanks and stay safe!

Suggested posts