Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Popout player

I have seen this idea posted several times over the years and they are all marked closed. I personally find it really frustrating that people have clearly been asking for this and over and over been denied, especially because it seems like a rather simple feature. Anyway, on the web player on Chromebook, there is an excellent popout player that remains on top of other tabs and windows you open, has the album/song art and has simple controls like pause, play, skip, and rewind that show when you hover over it. You can also move it around your screen so you position it where is easiest for you. It's crazy to me that this feature hasn't been implemented already for the desktop application, or if it has then the fact that it's been removed. It's super annoying to have to stop what I'm in the middle of to open the Spotify window just to see what is playing, or to skip or save a song. Something with just the basics of these features would make a huge difference and make usability so much easier.

Updated on 2024-03-21

Hi everyone,

We're happy to let you all know that this feature has now been Implemented 😎 You can find all the details on the topic in this announcement post. You're welcome to post your thoughts and feedback there as well.

Cheers!

Comments
McNeilDK

This is amazing! Can you please add a feature like this to the desktop app? You know... Chrome and system resources...

Peter

Hey @McNeilDK,

Thanks for reaching out.

Do you mean that you'd like to see a mini player feature for the native desktop app?

If so, then there's an idea for that already in the Idea Exchange which you can add your vote to here.

For more info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange, make sure to check out this Spotify Answer.

Hope that helps! Let us know if there's anything else we can do 🙂

LittleJohn1986
Hello there. Thanks for the solution. But in my "mini player" there is only one buttom play/pause. Am I doing something wrong. Is there another setting to configure or this feature was change and you can no longer skip track with it?
hgranero
Thank you. If I am paying for an app, I demand a mini player. Can't believe Spotify is so obtuse on this matter. I can understand on the free version with the advertising but if I pay I want it my way!!
dun96

Yeah! Like the Web Player does! I've taken to saving the web player as a chrome webapp simply because of this feature

kgkicker

This was working for me yesterday using the Win+R and typing the command. However, now that I've tried to do the chrome shortcut and the batch file, and even going back to using the Win+R command, the player that comes up is missing the button. Is anyone else seeing this? I don't know why this isn't just a function of their desktop player...

lostinthevalley

Want to see this.

breeze11

Hello! It seems to me that a similar problem can be easily solved with the help of one of the modern video editors. I like them because you always have the ability to process both YouTube videos and a specific URL. Converting, editing, downloading from a URL, transferring, burning a DVD. For example, Wondershare supports some VR devices, 4K video formats, as well as rare audio formats such as ACC, OGG, AC3, M4R, AIFF, APE. You can easily handle it!

giftedwinds
This is marginally more work but well worth it. Thanks for the trick 🙂
JanitorEarl

Just tried this and while the progressive web app works perfectly there's no mini-player button 😞😞😩

I should note I am a paying subscriber so wth Spotify??