Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Popout player

I have seen this idea posted several times over the years and they are all marked closed. I personally find it really frustrating that people have clearly been asking for this and over and over been denied, especially because it seems like a rather simple feature. Anyway, on the web player on Chromebook, there is an excellent popout player that remains on top of other tabs and windows you open, has the album/song art and has simple controls like pause, play, skip, and rewind that show when you hover over it. You can also move it around your screen so you position it where is easiest for you. It's crazy to me that this feature hasn't been implemented already for the desktop application, or if it has then the fact that it's been removed. It's super annoying to have to stop what I'm in the middle of to open the Spotify window just to see what is playing, or to skip or save a song. Something with just the basics of these features would make a huge difference and make usability so much easier.

Updated on 2024-03-21

Hi everyone,

We're happy to let you all know that this feature has now been Implemented 😎 You can find all the details on the topic in this announcement post. You're welcome to post your thoughts and feedback there as well.

Cheers!

Comments
GoodGuyMaciek

I'd really appreciate this feature. I listen to Spotify mostly at work, so it's a little inconvenient to switch to the main Spotify program to check the current song. Having this kind of notifier will greatly improve user experience. I'd even appreciate an always-on-top resizable popup, that will remain visible at all time with the track info. Could be a premium feature - I'll definitely get back to premium for that.

julietargentum

It worked beautifully for a couple songs but once I clicked out of the miniplayer I can't seem to get it to work again? I' m clicking on the button and its turning green but no miniplayer shows up 😞 

I've tried to delete the shortcut and make new ones, cleared history and cache, and even uninstalled google chrome again. Somebody please help me figure out why its not working anymore :((

jholdensen

I just tried to test it from my side, and I am having no issues. 

We need some clever people to respond to this. Sorry I'm not able to help. 

Jg54321

The mini-player button does not show up if you are playing the music in the desktop app and have the web player just showing what is playing in the desktop app. If you play directly from the web app, the mini-player button appears. Spotify, please add this mini-player to the desktop app, so I can have the mini-player and the High-Quality Streaming option turned on!

pumpkinfreckles
This disappears for me if I play Spotify on my Sonos One. I can use the mini player on Sonos One. Still it's a bummer that this is not integrated.
lodindogar

@Peter Funny enough you bring up that 4 years old Idea, which speaks from a floating Toolbar not for a Miniplayer. Its even more ridiculous that Spotify can't make a simple Miniplayer on the Desktop version for over 4 years, i mean cmon even iTunes got this feature on Windows LOL. Now you force ppl that want such feature to use your browser version instead releasing it platform wide on the Desktop apps. That can't be that hard to make such a feature to be honest.

lodindogar

--- double post ---

mobinA

I just want everyone to know that I have been as frustrated as most of you with Spotify's decision to not create a mini player. 

Over the last 8 months I have been working on designing and programming a mini player (currently for Windows only). It will also support audio playback from local files.

I plan to launch it in a few months, aiming for end of summer (hopefully earlier)

adamtrend2

Awesome!  Need a beta tester? Look forward to trying it when it's ready.

Joyrios
Been searching for this since my mini player disappeared. THANK YOU!!!!!!