Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Music playback in Modern Standby

[Desktop] Music playback in Modern Standby

With windows 8, Microsoft introduced a feature called 'Connected Standby', renamed to Modern Standby in Windows 10. Modern standby replaces the traditional Sleep power states (S1, S2 and S3) with a low-power Active power state (S0 low-power). Modern Standby is supported on some SoC devices, like tablets and some smaller laptops.

If you, like me, happen to own a device that supports Modern Standby you'll find that Spotify playback stops as soon as the screen turns of. This happens because as the screen turns off the system shifts from the Active (S0) power state to Modern Standby (S0 low-power), and apparently Spotify isn't quite compatible with Modern Standby yet.

I'd like to see Spotify working with the Modern Standby power state to enable owners of devices supporting that power state to listen to music while their display is off, because right now the display has to be turned on to keep music playing. I'd like to suggest updating the Spotify desktop program to be made compatible with Modern Standby, making the Windows Phone app compatible with PCs as well or, if necessary, developing a new Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app, which has been suggested before.

Cheers!

PS:

Before this is marked as a duplicate of this thread (like happened here) allow me to point out that the afforementioned thread concerns preventing the system from entering traditional sleep (S1, S2 and S3) while I'm suggesting to have music playback continue during Modern Standby (S0 low-power).

18 Replies

Updated on 2017-07-12

Marked as new idea.

This is a feature that is really missing in Spotify and for a paid service, that is pretty disappointing. Thus, I suggest to leave an appropriate review in the microsoft store when you also have a modern device such as a surface pro 3 / 4 / 5 to make the developers realize the importance of this feature.

Otherwise, Spotify will make you use your device much like a desktop computer by preventing modern standby when you want to listen to music while the screen is off. Imagine having to keep your phone unlocked as long as you want to listen to music!!! That's so 1999!

Was my "Idea" marked as a duplicate of yours?

My post was the second link in your post above, and is shown as a duplicate.

Bit of a pisstake given that I posted on the 22nd May, and you only posted 2 weeks ago, why isn't yours a duplicate of mine hahaa?

In any case, this definitely needs to be fixed, especially since Modern Standyby has been around for so long now, and Spotify should really work with it by now!

This is what caused such a load of cmplaints from Surface Pro users, exactly the same cause!

Eds

Great post. I shouldn't have to disable Connected Standby on my laptop.

Thank you for taking note of this, it is impossible to listen to music with my Windows tablet without depleting the battery as the screen must stay on all the time ! Looking forward to a fix.

I have the same problem on my DELL XPS13. This is a critical bug on Spotify, it is totally unacceptable to a Music Streaming Service not working on a notebook when the screen turns off automatically.

No one on Spotify uses a notebook with Windows 10? Come on guys!

I see that this only got 14 votes by this time. 

Most of the people maybe don't care about this feature just yet, 'cus they don't have machine that supports modern standby and not running into this problem. But as soon as they upgrade their hardware.... 

Have this problem on my Linx 1020.  Very frustrating.

It's one of those features that is a massive deal-breaker for me. I'd switch away from Spotify if Deezer did a £5/mo student deal. Deezer supports connected standby, as does Groove Music.

So finally signed up for Spotify premium trial, to find that the player stops playing when device goes into power saving mode as it should, windows 10.  Was intending to purchase full subscription. but will not while this remains an issue

urgent! need this feature to play music while my screen of my galaxy book is turned off immediately!

absolutely agree. Im using my surfacebook, and this is extremely annoying, as I have to place my face in front of the facial scanner constantly in between homework problems.

Hi there, any updates on this?

I'm on Win10 Desktop and am having the same issue, I believe this might be the cause. When the screen turns off (but computer doesn't go to sleep), Spotify stops playing. Curiously, if I turn the screen off manually, the music continues for some amount of time again and then stops suddenly. Once I move the mouse it continues playing regardless of whether the screen is on.

Any ideas about this? I've already upgraded to the creator version.

Thanks,

Rich

Mine seems to be now working as expected (for the most part).

Dell XPS 13, when my screen turns off, Spotify continues. It seems to continue until the device goes into full sleep, but it is an improvement.

Eds

Updated on 2018-05-18

Hi all, 

Just wanted to be sure this thread was aware of our update in this idea at the end of last year:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Desktop-Prevent-Windows-from-sleeping-when-Spotify-Pre...

We’ve been exploring many ways of enabling customers to play music while the screen is off. Most of the solutions we had explored involved preventing Windows from being able to turn the screen off, which would result in a much higher degree of battery use—something that we don't want to do.

The good news is that a fix for this is in the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. With this update playback on Spotify can continue while the screen is off to conserve your battery power. While you might not have this update yet, you can update Windows manually by going here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028685/windows-10-get-the-fall-creators-update. The music will, however, stop when your computer goes to sleep. You can control the sleep settings in the Power & sleep settings. 

Please know our Desktop teams take your feedback very seriously and they’re excited to help fix this issue for you all. Thanks for continuing to bring us your Spotify Ideas.

As far as I am aware, applications have the ability to prevent a device from going to sleep for several reasons;

For example, playing a YouTube video in Chrome prevents both the screen turning off and the machine going to sleep.

Whilst we now have a fix for the connected standby issue whereby music would stop when the screen turns off, playing music still does not prevent the laptop from sleeping.

If you are like me and have sleep set to something like 10 minutes on an ultrabook, we still encounter a problem whereby the laptop enters sleep and music is no longer playing back.

How about you just put in a power request to Windows, asking it not to sleep, like any other music or video app would do?!

Might be that my case is specific, but this is definitely not fixed for me with the new update. The odd thing is that regardless of what timer is on the computer to sleep (10 minutes, 30 minutes, etc.) it always takes the same amount of time for the music to stop. The computer isn't actually asleep, as in as soon as I move the mouse the screen turns on and it doesn't need to be "woken". If I turn the screen off, I wait the same amount of time and the music stops, regardless of how long the screen was on for. If I move the mouse, even without turning the screen on, it resumes playing. Another thing to add to the confusion is that it doesn't actually stop or pause the music, it's as if it just sets the volume to zero.

Very odd...

Like Eds89 mentioned,  the fact that Spotify lets the computer go to sleep while it is playing music is a big issue. It is like Windows does not know that there is an active application running when Spotify is playing music. I am not going to change my computer's sleep settings because in general I would like to have my computer go to sleep within a reasonable period of time. Many times I want to listen to spotify for much longer than that while working on other devices.

Is it possible, like Eds mentioned, to have Spotify ping the computer to tell it to not go to sleep?

Suggested posts