[Desktop] Music playback in Modern Standby

Re: [Desktop] Music playback in Modern Standby

jbstumpy

So finally signed up for Spotify premium trial, to find that the player stops playing when device goes into power saving mode as it should, windows 10.  Was intending to purchase full subscription. but will not while this remains an issue

SonGohan

urgent! need this feature to play music while my screen of my galaxy book is turned off immediately!

xaviervilla96
Casual Listener

absolutely agree. Im using my surfacebook, and this is extremely annoying, as I have to place my face in front of the facial scanner constantly in between homework problems.

rik222
Casual Listener

Hi there, any updates on this?

I'm on Win10 Desktop and am having the same issue, I believe this might be the cause. When the screen turns off (but computer doesn't go to sleep), Spotify stops playing. Curiously, if I turn the screen off manually, the music continues for some amount of time again and then stops suddenly. Once I move the mouse it continues playing regardless of whether the screen is on.

Any ideas about this? I've already upgraded to the creator version.

Thanks,

Rich

Eds89
Music Fan

Mine seems to be now working as expected (for the most part).

Dell XPS 13, when my screen turns off, Spotify continues. It seems to continue until the device goes into full sleep, but it is an improvement.

Eds

Re: [Desktop] Music playback in Modern Standby - Status changed to: New Suggestion

Spotify
Spotify

Updated on 2018-05-18

Hi all, 

Just wanted to be sure this thread was aware of our update in this idea at the end of last year:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Desktop-Prevent-Windows-from-sleeping-when-Spotify-Pre...

We’ve been exploring many ways of enabling customers to play music while the screen is off. Most of the solutions we had explored involved preventing Windows from being able to turn the screen off, which would result in a much higher degree of battery use—something that we don't want to do.

The good news is that a fix for this is in the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. With this update playback on Spotify can continue while the screen is off to conserve your battery power. While you might not have this update yet, you can update Windows manually by going here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028685/windows-10-get-the-fall-creators-update. The music will, however, stop when your computer goes to sleep. You can control the sleep settings in the Power & sleep settings. 

Please know our Desktop teams take your feedback very seriously and they’re excited to help fix this issue for you all. Thanks for continuing to bring us your Spotify Ideas.

Re: [Desktop] Music playback in Modern Standby - Status changed to: New Suggestion

Eds89
Music Fan

As far as I am aware, applications have the ability to prevent a device from going to sleep for several reasons;

For example, playing a YouTube video in Chrome prevents both the screen turning off and the machine going to sleep.

Whilst we now have a fix for the connected standby issue whereby music would stop when the screen turns off, playing music still does not prevent the laptop from sleeping.

If you are like me and have sleep set to something like 10 minutes on an ultrabook, we still encounter a problem whereby the laptop enters sleep and music is no longer playing back.

How about you just put in a power request to Windows, asking it not to sleep, like any other music or video app would do?!

rik222
Casual Listener

Might be that my case is specific, but this is definitely not fixed for me with the new update. The odd thing is that regardless of what timer is on the computer to sleep (10 minutes, 30 minutes, etc.) it always takes the same amount of time for the music to stop. The computer isn't actually asleep, as in as soon as I move the mouse the screen turns on and it doesn't need to be "woken". If I turn the screen off, I wait the same amount of time and the music stops, regardless of how long the screen was on for. If I move the mouse, even without turning the screen on, it resumes playing. Another thing to add to the confusion is that it doesn't actually stop or pause the music, it's as if it just sets the volume to zero.

Very odd...

ParafilmFlowers

Like Eds89 mentioned,  the fact that Spotify lets the computer go to sleep while it is playing music is a big issue. It is like Windows does not know that there is an active application running when Spotify is playing music. I am not going to change my computer's sleep settings because in general I would like to have my computer go to sleep within a reasonable period of time. Many times I want to listen to spotify for much longer than that while working on other devices.

Is it possible, like Eds mentioned, to have Spotify ping the computer to tell it to not go to sleep?

SUGGESTED POSTS