Desktop application crashes after playback is paused

Plan

Premium

Device

Desktop PC

Operating System

Windows 7

My Question or Issue

Hi, I'm having a weird problem with the Spotify desktop application on my Windows 7 PC. When I open the app and start playing some music, it runs without any issues. Now if I stop the playback and want to resume after some time, it doesn't work (the app crashed and I need to close the it in the task manager since it will still run in the background for some reason).

I did a clean install already (multiple times) but the issue still persists.

I thought this might be a problem with the soundcard. But all the other applications run without any problem, so it's probably something else.

On my other devices (Android phone & Windows 10 PC) the app runs without any problems.

Do you have an idea what could be the problem?

2 Replies

I'm having the same issue on Win7 Pro x64. Haven't noticed any problems on Win10 Pro x64.

Basically, pausing for longer than a few minutes (i.e. to watch a Youtube video) causes Spotify to stop playing music. The app looks like it's responding and playing, but there's no sound. If you exit Spotify from File=>Exit, 3 crashed/unresponsive spotify.exe processes are left open. Spotify will refuse to launch ("already running") until these processes are killed. 

+1 (Windows 7)

Suggested posts