Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Differences between Windows 10 Store App and the Windows App

Solved!

Differences between Windows 10 Store App and the Windows App

Hello,

after two years of absence I plan to come back to Spotify.

I saw that there is a version on the Windows 10 Store available.

But you also offer a "normal" version at the Spotify website (that also runs on other OS).

What are the differences between those apps?

I have Windows 10 and would like to use the Windows 10 Store App.

Does this App have any restrictions or limitations?

Does it have any disadvantages?

Thank you!

OLLI

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @BonePeeler!

There is no difference between both apps when it comes to funcionality! The only difference is that you will be receiving updates through Windows Store rather than by Spotify directly 🙂

Please let me know if you have any other doubts!

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @BonePeeler!

There is no difference between both apps when it comes to funcionality! The only difference is that you will be receiving updates through Windows Store rather than by Spotify directly 🙂

Please let me know if you have any other doubts!

Actually, a huge difference is that in the desktop version you can drag and drop song- and album titles to your playlists to add them. On the store version you have to go through the 3 dots menu. This is why I reverted to the desktop version.

Thank you, that's a big difference indeed. I wonder what other differerences weren't mentioned.

How did you revert?
I've been trying to uninstall and reinstall Spotify a million times and I always get the store version.

HELP

Wait so this is weird.

I downloaded Spotify from a different website, the executable is different. SpotifyFullSetup.exe

Installed that.

Now when I open the Windows Store, I see the "Install" button on Spotify as if I didn't have the Windows Store version installed, which is what I want!
But the app I'm running still looks exactly like the Windows Store version.
What trickery is this?

Go to this page: https://www.spotify.com/us/download/windows/

Deny/ignore opening the Store. Instead click this in the middle of the page:

"Having issues? You can *download Spotify here"."

Then you will get to download "SpotifySetup.exe" instead.

Unfortunately they have plugged that hole. If you get a downloader of about 711kB, you'll get the Metro app. See bottom of my post for solution!  If you find an installer that is about 56 MB you may get the Desktop version. If you update that from the Help-about menu you'll still get an updated version of the desktop version. I think they keep it alive for the Win 7 users. 

Microsoft is pushing towards metroapp acceptation for their upcoming business model. Windows update replaced my desktop version with the Metro version on the april feature update of Win10. Microsoft should leave my computer alone, instead of randomly replacing drivers and software.

Here is an official full desktop setup from Spotify site :   SpotifyFullSetup.exe  thanks to user Sebasty  in this thread Unable to download desktop version...

Good luck

JayAudion's post about playlists should be the solution unless they've updated and changed this.

Strange, I went here https://www.spotify.com/us/download/windows/ and it downloaded the 711kB installer and it downloaded and gave me the desktop version. Then I went back and it did the thing where it forces to the Windows Store version unelss you do the "if your download didn't start, click here" and then gives you the 56mb desktop installer.

Suggested posts