Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Disable Explicit Songs?

Solved!

Disable Explicit Songs?

Is it possible to tell spotify not to play any songs with explicit lyrics?  I like to play random playlists or spotify's top lists sometimes but don't like songs with explicit lyrics. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonathan

587 Replies

Good point! Surely this is simple!

I'm tired of spending hours trying to certify the songs I add to my "car tunes" playlist that I listen to in the car with my family. I still get a shock now and then by missing something, and finding a "radio version" isn't always possible or efficient . Too much hassle.

There does seem same strange company thinking in its resistence in offerring an explicit filter. These post topic going on for so many years. A filter will improve the listening experience to better recommend for more users.

It certainly limits how much we listen to Spotify.  We are a musical household and listen to music as a family all the time but not so much on Spotify because I can't filter F-Bomb songs for my daughter.  I listen to F-Bomb songs all the time - without my kids...

Family Filter = More Subscriptions = More Money for Spotify = More Playbacks = more money for the artists = Why the F-Bomb haven't they listend to their subribers for this many years???!!!

Just Sayin'

Well Apple Music offer this option at the same price so sadly I'll be leaving spotify this month

Spotify obviously doesn't give a.... 4 years ago this thread was started. It's a simple option to implement, they already mark songs as explicit, just add the ability to filter them out! But it's clear that the length of time this thread has been open shows they don't listen to their users, so why continue to pay for it.

My own solution was to just keep my kids from using it and go through my
own filter process.

Just joined Spotify, after suffering through Microsoft's botching of Zune - Xbox Music - Groove ... Soooo much better, but one of the first things I looked for was "filter explicit content," which, as this thread documents extensively, is not available.

Spotify, if you are listening: please feel free to contact me directly, as I would be happy to help write the software to accomplish this task. If the reasons are non-technical (agreements with labels/publishers, moral objection, etc.), it would seem appropriate at least to acknowledge the large group of your customers who really want this feature, and offer an explanation for its long-running and continued absence.

Thanks!

I work live sound and have started using spotify for walk in/walk out music.  I might have to stop now since my last show... A song came up with many F words and now i can't trust Spotify for work.

This is ridiculous that Spotify won't add this capability. I would like my kids to be able to listen to music but I don't want to be explaining to a 4yo the meaning of Nine Inch Nails - Closer. If other streaming services are offering this then I will need to reconsider my subscription. I also find it interesting that this forum has a button to report inappropriate content!

This was done, someone wrote an app for the spotify app store, and they blocked it google "Jacob Singh Spotify App". They obviously don't want this feature, and my wife has told me I can't listen to spotify at the house anymore because in the middle of an awesome playlist I'll get a song talking about **bleep**ing whores in the ass while shooting coke and killing niggers. Seriously, what the **bleep**, I don't let my kids say the N word, why would I want music full of it, but every darn play list has one song full of it, even downtempo playlists geez. I really did like this subscription, and would have kept it forever if I could actually use it to listen to music that didn't teach my little girls that they were worthless trash.

Just a note, the forum won't let me say most of the words that I want to limit being said in my music.  How ironic is that?  I guess the only options is to vote with my wallet and try other music services out that might allow me to listen to it in the presence of my children.

Yes.  We have a free premium subscription Tru my cell phone company but rarely use it anymore due to that exact reason. We use the competitor now. Way better anyway.  Frankly, even if Spotify finally did offer this filter as an option I'd tell them to F off for my paid subscription. How many years have they ignored this popular thread...??? Spotify hates kids. Clearly. 

Over the holidays, I signed up my entire family for Spotify. $9.99 for 3 months for everyone to try it out with no risk. They love it.  My wife, my 3 teenage kids. All of them totally love Spotify as do I because we are music lovers.  And like everyone else on this thread, the only problem I have with the whole thing is not being able to turn off the Explicit songs. My kids are not seeking out these songs, and my wife is not seeking out these songs, Spotify just serves them up randomly depending on what playlist you are listening to. No one in my family wants Explicit and potentially offensive songs randomly popping up, it's not a any kind of a statement or judgement, it is simply a preference. But there is no way to turn it off.  So when my daughter is having a teenage party and she has her Spotify music playing in background and the artist is dropping the F-bomb and throwing out explicit lyrics, as parents we are unhappy.  Unfortunately, we are going to have to cancel the subscription. There is just no way to manage the content. If Spotify offered a tool to help me avoid explicit content I would continue the subscriptions, but until then I will have to go back to other music services. And when I think about the trickle-down effect of my decision, I have to wonder what the sales, marketing and strategy people at Spotify are thinking. Just for me and my family, not having the filter will cause me to cancel 5 subscriptions. Then, there are all of my friends and family who have asked me about Spotify and are potentital customers and I tell them it is awesome, but there is no way to avoid explicit content in any genre (Pop, Electronic, Rap, Country, etc.) and off the top of my head I can already think of a dozen or more people who are not likely to sign up. And I am just one example.  So if you multiply my case study by hundreds, if not thousands, Spotify is leaving a lot of money on the table. It is mystifying to me. But it is the unfortunate reality of a poor business decision. I am hopeful that Spotify will someday listen to the customers who would benefit from this simple added option. 

This is not the solution. That is the problem.

Seems a bit extreme but maybe an online petition is the only solution.
Anyone care to word it?

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/check

Just a reminder for anyone that hasn't done so already, visit the official LIVE IDEA and give it kudos so the Spotify team knows this is a priority.

I disagree. This idea is marked as solved, so won't appear in their reports.

I can't do it right now, but can someone create a new idea, and then we all vote for the link to it on this thread as the 'solution' so new people see the link.

I didn't mind paying $10+ pet month to listen to music OFFLINE... this is an important factor for me so I don't have to use up all my data to stream my music... but because SPOTIFY doesn't have the option to disable explicit contents...I am forced to UNSUBSCRIBE... (sad story) hopefully they fix the issue...👎👎👎👎

I ended up here looking to see how to do this myself. It boggles the mind that they can display that the song HAS explicit lyrics, but won't let you filter them out from your radio/playlists etc. I like Spotify more than Apple Music given the better interface, but will end up going with the competitor over this. So stupid given that it should be a very easy fix for what I'm guessing is a large and competent programming team.

I'd say just go with Pandora. More reliable than Spotify anyways... Plus you can filter. It's amazing how long this has gone on without Spotify addressing it.

Suggested posts