Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spoitify Discord Activity No Longer Shows

Spoitify Discord Activity No Longer Shows

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

2020 M1 Macbook Air

Operating System

macOS Monterey

Hey everyone. my issue is that my Discord Spotify activity on my laptop isn't showing up anymore, but has been showing up on my phone mostly just fine [now it's not showing up]. I'm not sure what the issue is because none of the articles I've checked out have helped my particular issue [reconnecting Spotify to discord, etc].  I've even closed the apps several times to try and fix it [even on mobile] and I cannot seem to figure out the issue.

Help is appreciated!

76 Replies

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

For some reason, my spotify WILL NOT display any songs I am currently listening to on discord.

I've tried many of the other stuff like "reinstalling spotify" and such, but I've come to learn it works completely fine on webplayer, it'll play and display just fine there.

This is all on the same computer, mind you.

But on the app? Nothing, not even in a private session and all.

I've already tried reinstalling it several times so any solutions regarding that will likely not even work.

Hey @Likeok4,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

Can you let us know if you're running any kind of VPN or using a externally managed network like a school/ work network? 

Looking forward to your reply.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I'm haven't used my VPN in a good while, which was during when it did work, which for context is OpenVPN but otherwise I don't use it.

And no, just home wifi.

I also want to add since I didn't know during my original post that it does work on my phone, listening to songs on there still display on discord, but no on the App on the Computer.

Hey @Likeok4,

Thank you for keeping us in the loop and for the info shared.

In this type of case, we’d first recommend disconnecting and reconnecting again your Discord and Spotify accounts following the steps of this article.

After reconnecting the accounts, Spotify needs to be under “Added games” in your Discord (on your PC) to properly show the activity. If it is not there, you’ll need to add it.

First, click on the Discord settings and go to ACTIVITY SETTINGS > Activity Status. Make sure that the option “Display current activity as a status message” is active and add the Spotify app to your ADDED GAMES with the option Add it! This should do the trick.

If the issue persists, could you let us know if it started after an update of either of the apps or your OS?

Hope it helps. We’ll be on the lookout for your next response. 

OscarDCModerator

I've tried the disconnecting and reconnecting numerious times, but it doesn't seem to of worked.

As for the update part, I can't fully recall off the top of my head, there hasn't been an update for my OS for a good while, or at least it's been up to date even when it was working.

I have in the past gotten errors from Spotify that has led to me removing a few lines in the host file in system32, which has led to Spotify not display on discord, but it usually fixed itself after awhile.

I want to say that Spotify has updated before given I've uninstalled and reinstalled it prior, though truthfully I didn't fully notice my thing stopped displaying on discord for a good while now, if I had to give an estimate it'd been maybe a month or more?

Hi there @Likeok4

Thank you for your reply and for the information that you've provided.

Can you confirm that you followed the steps that's provided in this article when you reinstalled the app? There's some more steps to help thoroughly uninstall the app from your device, so if you haven't, we'd highly suggest it since the steps will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

If you did and the issue persists, can you let us know which version of the app you're having?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

My version is; Spotify for Windows 1.1.81.604.gccacfc8c

When I unconnect my Spotify from discord I do get the notification I can connect my spotify to display music on status, but when I do it, nothing. Even after resetting connection, activity status and all.

It's just seeming to be the spotify desktop app since I can play a song on Spotify Mobile and it'll display on Discord, but won't if it's spotify app.

Hey @Likeok4!

I'm on the same version of Spotify as you and just tested if what I'm playing would show up, but it did - I had no issues with it. Have you tried reinstalling discord? If not, give it a go and then try the following:

1. Go to the apps on your Account page and Revoke Access for Discord.
  2. Open Discord and unlink your Spotify profile by following the steps @OscarDC mentioned.
  3. Relink your Spotify account again.

Let us know how it goes.

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

I did all the steps but it seems that it still doesn't work.

Hey @pascaljn,

Thanks for the comment.

There is a new version of the desktop app released a few days ago. Could you perform another clean reinstall as described here and make sure you're running the latest version of the app?

Can you also make sure to follow the steps here to clean up your hosts file?

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

ElenaModerator

No worries, it's an issue on Spotify/Discord site. People on Twitter and more on Reddit are complaining. Article about it here: https://piunikaweb.com/2022/08/19/discord-spotify-status-not-working-or-displaying-youre-not-alone/

Hopefully, Discord/Spotify will fix it asap.

So to keep this short, the connection with Discord to show what song you're listening to, isn't working correctly. 

That is what I thought, until I used a VPN and set my location to a different country (Portugal), then it worked perfectly fine again.

I am from the Netherlands and it always used to work normally until 2 days ago. Without a VPN, the song does not show on my discord. 

I've tried (un)linking and reinstalling multiple times, without succes. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Plan

Free

Country
Germany

Device

Pc

Operating System

Windows 11

My Question or Issue
I was listening to spotify and I see discord state was not working then i try to disconnect the account status and reconnect again. It starts back to working, but as soon as the song ends it stops working and I have to restart discord to make it work or disconnect the accounts again. Another thing I noticed, if I block the song in spotify, in the discord state it keeps going on. Only the state of spotify status on discord makes me so, all the other states work fine and it is the first time that I have this problem.

Plan

Free

Country

Serbia

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Discord won't show Spotify as status anymore, and I can't play songs from search or from albums anymore, only if they are in my playlist or if I add them which makes listening to music super annoying, and I can't link my phone to my Spotify client, but I can't link to Spotify web perfectly fine.

Already tried clearing the cache, relinking with Discord, looking at the hosts file which is empty, reinstalling Spotify, everything really.

Hey there @sarascott

Thanks for getting in touch about this and welcome to the Community. 

First up, we suggest that you try logging out and then logging back in to your account. 

If this doesn't do the trick, would you mind performing a clean reinstall of the app on your PC by following these specific steps?

Also, it's worth trying to restart your router to check if that makes the difference. 

Keep us posted on how it goes.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Plan

Free

Country

Slovakia

Device

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I tried everything, removing discord from spotify apps and other stuff but nothing fixes my problem. It doesn't work only on my PC

Hey folks!

Thank you all for reporting this issue in the Community!
The teams at Discord are already on it and we've let our tech folks know as well.
Keep us posted in case there is any development on your end & we'll do the same!
Thanks!

VasilModerator

I turned on my VPN for a second and it works! I even turned it back off, and shut off my discord and spotify. It fixed it somehow. Thank you.

Set your status back to online or idle instead of invisible.

Suggested posts