Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Does making a playlist secret mean my friends who are subscribed to it cannot see it anymore?

Solved!

Does making a playlist secret mean my friends who are subscribed to it cannot see it anymore?

If I make a playlist secret, will that mean that my friends already following it and/or colaborating on it will no longer be able to see it?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi, and welcome to the community!

If you make a playlist private, the friends collaborating won't be able to collaborate anymore.

However, the friends who followed it will still have that playlist in their Spotify, it just won't update if you add any more songs. This is because they effectively created a new playlist in their Spotify client with all the songs from your playlist, but now you've made it private, the new songs won't be shown in their clients.

Anthony 🙂

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi, and welcome to the community!

If you make a playlist private, the friends collaborating won't be able to collaborate anymore.

However, the friends who followed it will still have that playlist in their Spotify, it just won't update if you add any more songs. This is because they effectively created a new playlist in their Spotify client with all the songs from your playlist, but now you've made it private, the new songs won't be shown in their clients.

Anthony 🙂

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!

Thanks!  One more minor question relating to this.  If that's the case of secret playlists, how does the colaboration work?  I have a plalist of my friend's that we were planning on editing together, but I don't want to have to deal with random people throwing songs in if they find the playlist.  Are only certain people able to colaborate, or is it essentially an open invitation?

@ChestoBerry wrote:

Thanks!  One more minor question relating to this.  If that's the case of secret playlists, how does the colaboration work?  I have a plalist of my friend's that we were planning on editing together, but I don't want to have to deal with random people throwing songs in if they find the playlist.  Are only certain people able to colaborate, or is it essentially an open invitation?

Hi,

At the moment, unfortunately making a playlist collaborative allows anyone to edit the playlist.

There is an idea for having specific people who can edit a playlist here. Feel free to add Kudos and comment to show your support! I personally hope it will be added soon, as I agree that I don't want random people editing my playlists, but I may want friends to be able to.

Anthony 🙂

It's an "open invitation" insofar as anyone who has the playlist link can do what they like to it.  This blog article explains how it works. There is an idea here which you may wish to add your support to.

Suggested posts