Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Empty playlists and no songs play with blank album art (yes, I have checked that post already)

Empty playlists and no songs play with blank album art (yes, I have checked that post already)

Version: Free

Device: Windows Desktop

So my problem has been ongoing for a couple of months and has been gradually evolving into something worse and worse over time. It started as the occasional song, that should be available, not playing and giving me the "unavailable" error. I know said songs should be available because I'm an artist, they were my songs, and my distributor did not give me any sort of notice about songs being removed. I checked the community for posts on it and found one that said to reinstall Spotify. I did that, and it fixed it for a time.

The same issue came back but it was considerably more frequent. At this point I notice that no song that I had never played before was not playing. So, any recently released material or new finds threw the "unavailable" error. I tried reinstalling again but it did not fix my issue in any way this time around.

I got fed up today and tried reinstalling several more times. At this point, literally every playlist within the application is empty. No songs will play whatsoever. It isn't even throwing the error anymore. It just shows black/blank album art and the details for the songs do not show within the playback controls. I have restarted my computer. I have reset my router/modem. I have even tried having someone log in on their account. Nothing seems to be working. The app just seems completely broken at this point for me.

Side note: The web player on the same device shows everything normally but nothing plays. It gives no errors. The mobile app works fine with my account on Android. I am able to play anything. All playlists including my own are showing as they should.

5 Replies

Hey @centauribeing.

Thanks for reaching out to us about this.

This is an issue which we are aware of. We suggest you head on over to this thread, where you can add your vote to show that you are experiencing the issue. Make sure to leave the requested info in the comments section in the thread as well.

We'll keep you posted there and let you know as soon as we have any updates.

Thanks!

Yo have been getting the same problem don't know how to fix it but I've tried reinstalling many times never works and also tried looking at network firewall and that didn't work either.

If there's a solution I'd love it ASAP.

Hey @cheeky_thunder

As described in the link @Peter mentioned there is a workaround for this which seems to be working for some users. I am writing it to here as well to make it more visible. 

Can you try the following steps:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them.
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify.

Let me know how it goes, have a nice day 🙂

Solved. You the real mvp

I would hug you if I saw you. Thank you.

Suggested posts