Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Error 24 when installing update

Error 24 when installing update

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

Desktop PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

The latest version of Spotify won't install. I keep getting the following error:

"The installer encountered an unknown error.

(Error code: 24)"

This is preventing me from even opening Spotify and I have to download/install the version from the website, to then be told an update is available and when I install it I get the same error. It's incredibly annoying that, seemingly, the version I download is not the most recent version. I also cannot ignore this update and just close/open Spotify as it tries to install the "new" version. Please fix this, it's driving me insane!!

25 Replies

SpotifySetup.exe doesn't come up as an app when I try that, and in any event I doubt that re-running it would fix the issue that this thread is talking about, which is that Spotify installs in a location that many people have blocked for program execution. My batch file handles it properly.

I would love to use it but unfortunately I don't understand a thing... Besides, I'm on my work laptop so for example I can't even use bitsadmin.

This is the worst forum software in the history of forum software. I just lost my entire reply.

There's not much to understand, just edit the batch file, change the localspotifyrundir= line to use the directory you want spotify to be installed in, and run it.

I thought every Windows installation had bitsadmin. Maybe you need to run it as administrator? Use File Explorer, find the batch file, right click, and pick Run as Administrator. It might work.

Nope, it doesn't. Spotify complains if you try to install it from an Administrator account.

Sorry, not sure what to tell you about that.

Ok, had to google it - I had no idea that I'm supposed to change the extension... But after doing it, it worked, thank you very much!

Assuming I understand you, yes, batch files have to have a .bat extension. My first post in the thread regarding my batch file mentioned that, but I haven't repeated the instructions every time. I'm glad to hear it worked for you.

Suggested posts