Premium

Country

Scotland

Device

Desktop Computer

Operating System

Windows 10 Home

My Question or Issue
Spotify application in windows 10 constantly disconnects giving error code 04. It starts up and shows blank pages then spits out "this page is not available offline" then the blue box at the top says error 04 and it says offline at the bottom left. It stays like this for minutes before going online for seconds then proceeding to go offline again.

Originally it was always offline but after Port Forwarding 4070, 443, 80 it now connects for a few seconds before going offline.

The web application works flawlessly, the phone version works flawlessly, the windows application has never worked as intended for me.

I tried running though multiple solutions found here and other places as well as from support directly (which culminated into just being "use the web version" as an answer).

So here is a list of what I have done already:

1. Port forwarded: 4070, 443, 80.
  2. Flushed DNS ( as told to do by support).
  3. Re-installed application.
  4. Clean installed application from both the website application and the windows 10 app store.
  5. Made exemption in firewall/anti-virus.
  6. Allowed access through windows firewall.
  7. Changed DNS settings: 8.8.8.8 and secondary to 8.8.4.4.
  8. Changed proxy settings in Spotify to every available setting and restarted each time.
  9. Tried using a VPN.
  10. Deleted all of Spotify in Appdata in both Roaming and Local.
  11. Toggled offline mode on and off.
  12. Restarted Router.

It's getting ridiculous at this point especially considering the high price of Spotify Premium. Using the web browser isn't an acceptable solution to a broken application.

If there are any other tips people know off please let me know.

2 Replies

Hey @HaloZen 

You should probably try checking if your hosts file is clean - that may sometimes cause issues. See this article on how to do that.

I would also suggest safe mode with networking to see if Spotify works under that. Safe Mode works with only the most basic resources, so nothing that is not critically needed is working at that moment.
If Spotify works under safe mode with networking, then there's some third party program causing the issue.

Do you use an antivirus software that is not Windows Defender? 🙂

Let me know how you get on!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hey Sebasty Thanks for replying.

I forgot to write down I had already cleaned my hosts file, that was also something support asked me to do. There were no entries when I did it before and there still aren't now.

I restarted my pc in safe mode with networking and loaded spotify. In the time that I was using it I could select radio and browse and things would pop up this time but I couldn't play any of them. I tested it for a around 5 - 10 minutes and never got an offline error showing up. Upon loading my pc up normally I can select Browse and radio but it won't show up any images and the offline message appears again.

A new issue has also presented itself, when I use the search feature I click on it and can type one character before it un-selects the search box and I have click on it again and quickly type another character before it un-selects and stops me from typing. This was happening when I loaded it up in safe mode and now it's happening during normal use.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? Are there any known applications or windows services that affect Spotify?

I usually turn off all the background windows features that I can like the gaming services and windows app store (and everything that makes app store run). I'm wondering if Spotify relies on certain windows services to work?

I use avast alongside windows defender and made sure Spotify was an allowed application.

In any case thanks for the help so far!

Suggested posts