Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Desktop

Operating System

Windows 10

I can't login on my desktop app only. When I try to login with facebook it pops error code 8, then when I try to login regularly it pops error code 37.

I am not using a proxy. I also tried the no proxy setting. My firewall gives all permissions to the spotify app. I disabled my firewall for a short time and tried again. I have tried two clean reinstallations. I have restarted my device. I have rebooted my modem. I'm using the same device from the same location for the past few months. I can login through firefox and play music. I can login on my phone and play music. I can log out and back in on both devices.

The app was working just fine for the past few months since I've had it. Nothing out of the ordinary happened and I came home from work and it was stuck in offline mode yet everything else was fine, my phone too. So I logged out and it hasn't let me log back in since. Trust me, I've tried it all. The only thing I haven't done was a new install of Windows 10 but I would really like to avoid that.

Im using a custom PC (nothing crazy in it) with Windows 10 Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134. I can't find what spotify version I'm using as I can't find it in the app unless I log in. But like I said I did a clean install so I should have the lastest version. The app also works on my OnePlus 3.  Plz Halp

6 Replies

Hey @Randybob

I agree that reinstalling Windows is unpleasant. However I do have one thing you can try checking out - the hosts file.

Sometimes there might be entries in the file that block some traffic essential for Spotify to function. Follow this to find and remove them:

1. open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
2. go to File - Open and navigate to

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open.
4. The file is opened. You will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like

0.0.0.0 website.com
127.0.0.1 website2.com

Check for any entries with spotify or fastly in the address. Examples may look like:

0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com
0.0.0.0 prod.b.ssl.us-eu.fastlylb.net 

(and any variations inbetween)
5. If you do find any, you can delete the line. You can also add a # in front of the line, that's 'commenting out'.
6. Save your changes. Restart Spotify.

To make the hosts file uneditable (to avoid future issues like that), navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc in your file explorer, right-click on hosts, select Properties and make the file Read-Only.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

127.0.0.1 na1r.services.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 hlrcv.stage.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 lmlicenses.wip4.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 lm.licenses.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 activate.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 practivate.adobe.com

Those are all my lines.

@Randybob

Hm, strange.

Just to check, you can add a # in front of each line and see if anything changes.

I am not really sure if Adobe has anything to do with Spotify, but it doesn't hurt to check 🙂

Can you log in the web player and into your Spotify account?

Let me know!

SebastySpotify Star

"The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another
process."

-Upon attempt to save the file (even with no applications open).

Yes, I can log into and play from the web player just fine.

@Randybob

Looks like your hosts file is locked by some kind of antivirus or firewall. This SuperUser thread has some answers on what might be causing this.

By clean reinstall you mean deleting old Spotify files and reinstalling?

If you're using the Windows Store version, have you tried resetting the app's data through Apps and Features? You can use this HowToGeek article as guide.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

The problem fixed itself. I tried logging in the past few days with no avail, but today it worked. My firewall popped a notification on it. I have no idea why as before it said it had all permissions and I did disable it to test if it was the problem. I appreciate all your help either way.

Suggested posts