Premium

Country

Finland

Device

Pc

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

For several months (pretty much years at this point), my Spotify friends feed has not been updating, it only shows 1 friend I have, while it should have a dozen others. This has been going on for far too long for it to be a problem on my end as I have changed my devices, settings, and other things to try and fix it. I have reinstalled Spotify and my OS but nothing helps. I also see no friends through my Facebook integration even after disconnecting and reconnecting my Facebook profile multiple times. All my settings are the same as my friends and he can see his friend activity but I can't. I already posted about this problem once, and was told it would fix itself but that was months ago. This is very infuriating as it has been going for so long.

spotifyhelp.png
spotifyhelp2.png
943 Replies

some IMPORTANT points i have copied from people who have commented on this post…… 

“I sure hope Spotify considers making listening public by default again. It would be a lot more convenient and frankly a lot less weird than reaching out to each friend one by one to ask them to make their listening public again..”

“I know they've suggested informing your friends about the update so they can go into their settings and readjust them so they're visible again, but you don't necessarily have contact with everyone you're following. Please return to how it was previously, because should anyone want to have a private listening session they always had that option anyway…”

“It would have been so much better had you sent out a push notification saying "Take control of your privacy: Check your sharing settings now" and take users to the relevant setting so they could have disabled it if they wished to; most users wouldn't have done that. Simply deactivating sharing silently removed a huge chunk of value from your app, and frankly: That was just a bad product management decision driven by fear…..”

“It’s really ashame that this feature is now put on private as default. Many users don’t use this option as it’s only available on PC en not on the phone. So they don’t care. I discovered lots of music this way by different people I am following. It is not possible to get into contact with all those users I follow to ask them to put this feature on. Really ashame. Please bring it back!!! If people want to use private option it’s always possible to switch it off…..”

i'm about to pull out their privacy controversy from 2015 if they continue ignoring

The same

Hey @adioscompanieros,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community!

The toggling of the switch in Settings to on will make your personal listening activities visible to the people who follow your profile in Spotify.

To see other users' profiles and their listening activities in the Friend Activity pane (you can enable it from the View menu on the desktop client), you'd need to follow their profiles and also they need to have enabled the same setting for themselves, as prompted in the screenshot you've sent.

Hope this helps clarify things. Don't hesitate to give us a shout if there's anything else we can help with.

Kiril Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

So this message shows up because none of my friends have this option turned on?

I have the same issue! People are sharing their activity but I can't see it. So annoying what spotify has done with this 😞

Plan

Premium

Country

Brazil

Device

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 and Lenovo Flex 5i

Operating System

Windows 10 on Thinkpad; Windows 11 on Flex 5i.

My Question or Issue

I've been with issues on Friend activities since Spotify turned off the activity to everyone as default. Even though some of my friends have it turned it on, I still can't see them. I tried to do all the cleaning, deleted and installed Spotify again, logout and login, nothing works. How can I solve this?

Same, this is causing me more stress during finals week

Hi, I have the same problem. My friend feed is greyed out instead of showing what my friends are listening to. I checked the settings and I'm sure I have enabled the "share my listening activity" setting. I also asked my friends and they confirmed that they have enabled the same setting for themselves and are able to see what I'm listening to as normal.

This has beyond upset me. Now I have to ask people to  turn it on. I should be studying, but no I have to deal with this 

I have the same problem on Windows 10. I tried deleting and reinstalling the app multiple times and also tried deleting the host but it didn't fix it.

Yeah I have the same problem

Hi there folks,

Thank you for your replies and feedback.

Every user who currently uses the Friend Activity Feed to broadcast their listening activity, and has not explicitly opted-in to do so, will have their broadcasting reverted to ‘off’. They would need to opt-in again for you to experience the Friend Activity Feed.

We suggest that you double check this with your friends.

Keep us posted.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Why make us go through all that extra trouble if it used to work before, is there really nothing you guys can do to revert it?

Hi there, I asked my friends and they all say that they have the "share my listening activity" enabled and are able to see what every one else is listening to, including me. It seems that I'm the only one of my friends having this particular issue. Can I do anything else to fix this?

Hi there @funky3578,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

The behavior you're seeing on your Friend Feed is expected and this is caused by a change that was made to the listening activity setting.

Please head over to this thread which explains this in full detail.

If you have any questions, just let us know.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I've read that thread but all my friends have the "share my activity" option enabled and are able to see what each other is listening to. I'm the only one having this issue.

Hi @oikawa,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community!

To start assisting you, we'd like to make sure what is the exact issue your Friend Feed is presenting.

Is it not showing your friends profiles? Or is it showing them but the last connection is outdated? 

If you could send us some screenshots showing what you see, it would help us help you better.

Keep us posted.

MafeGModerator

Hi folks,

Thank you for keeping in touch.

We understand this may not be ideal, but we've performed these changes in order to keep protecting each user's privacy and give them the choice to display their activity or not. So if your feed hasn't updated for multiple days, most likely is due to these changes. 

@tsamius Could you share with us a screenshot showing how your feed looks? This way we can take a better look at the issue. 

Keep us posted.

MafeGModerator

It looks like this. My friends can see what I'm listening to.

2021-12-10 (3).png

Suggested posts