Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Flac Support

Solved!

Flac Support

will spotify be upgrading to flac support soon? and streaming in flac for higher quality music? if so spotify would be a leader in sound quality and would set it apart from other competitors. please consider this.

212 Replies

> sfjazzzman wrote:
> I do know better

I am sorry, but I do not believe you really understand the process.

> I can send you an MP3 that has been converted into a FLAC container

> and it WONT be lossless.

The FLAC will have the same quality as the MP3. There will be NO loss in the convertion. In other words, FALC will preserve the same level of quality as the source from which the music was converted from. That is what it means to be lossless. The fact that the original source was log quality, low bit rate, or loss some quality on the initial conversion to MP3 Is irrelevant.

As long as:

Original --> New format in ame quality as original

We have lossless compresion

I heard a flac x spotify master from the album "Good city for dreamers" from General Elektriks and I've heard a lot of differences especially in the highs, sounded more deep overall and more "hi-fi", it was beautiful. Just search youtube, (name of the album and flac) and do the comparison. I've listened in my Yamaha HS80. But don't know much about flac, I mean, the size of the files, the possibilities to be streamed, etc. But I do like the current quality of audio streamed by spotify.

I don't care if they don't support streaming of lossless files, I just want the program to support my FLAC/OGG files that I have saved locally. It's really irritating that I have to switch programs to play lossless music.

The point isn't whether someone can hear the difference between formats (And the point really really isn't what you, random person on the internet, think about what other people can hear).

The point is, a lot of people have music saved in a variety of formats, flac being one of them.   Spotify should play any common format without making us convert from one to the other.  It's just a codec, do it already.

Just joined as a premium member and surprised I can't listen to my local FLAC in Spotify.  This should be 'music 101' for any audio player.

Doesn´t mater if someonde likes or not, hear or not the difference with flac codec. If spotify wants to be a decent music streamer, it have to support flac. Period.

i can

Is it FLAC ot not?  

I'# don't ever want to install Spotify.  But I would like to know if I can steal a FLAC stream from them.   (Only joking Spotoify, don't have a heart attack but do get in touch).

There's a huge difference, really,..

From 160 to 320 - not so big.

From 320 to FLAC/lossless - Huge,...

Don't speak of it as an almost certainty, that people will not hear any difference. They will. That's why Tidal and others are moving forward on it - even Spotify themselves,...

I agree, there's a huge difference to it,.. even listening to it from a computer.

Spotify should realease support for it soon,..

Marked as solution

Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community!

Unfortunately, we don't currently support streaming at flac format quality. You can find more info about the audio quality options for Free or Premium users in this support site article.

However, this is something other Spotify users have mentioned they'd like to see as well. In this case, we'd recommend heading over to this idea here and adding your +VOTE and feedback in a comment to contribute to the discussion.

If you're interested to find out more details about how your feedback reaches Spotify or ideas get implemented, we'd recommend checking this Spotify Answer

Hope this helps clarify things! If there's anything else we can help with, don't hesitate to give us a shout.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Good news!

Spotify has announced that later this year lossless quality is coming and it will be called Spotify HiFi

Check out my blog post about it

Check out this news article for more information:

Five Things to Know About Spotify HiFi

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts