Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Followed artists have less songs than when you search for an artist

Followed artists have less songs than when you search for an artist

This problem is on my windows desktop app and android, I think it's an issue with spotify not any particular platform.

When I search for an artist via the 'search' bar I get taken to the artists page, containing a list of popular songs, and then a list of all albumns, I can click play and Spotify will start playing all of the songs belonging to that artist. 

If I click 'Follow' to follow this artist they get added to my Artists list. However, when I click on that same artist from the 'My Artists' list to listen to them, there are dramatically less songs. Usually around 4, after playing those few songs Spotify then goes on to playing similar songs from other artists. 

This is super annoying because I always have to go back and search for artists to get all of there songs to listen to. 

Why are the 2 lists of songs different?

7 Replies

there are two possibilities: you are listenning to the artist radio which features similar artists and genres which are slowly customized by spotify to your preferences,

or

If you finished playing the album, there is a setting that allows you to enable or disable continous playing of similar artists or songs. If you want, you can disable that in settings>playback>autoplay

forgive me if i am wrong.

Also, if you just followed the artist and not the albums, its usually just plays the top songs of the artist, a short list, really, then proceeds to play similar songs.

That is what is happening. I am following the artist and Spotify is linking the artist to the artist radio rather than the songs/albumns that return when searching for said artist. I feel that there should be an option to choose, because it's a pain (albiet a small one) to have to search for the artis everytime I want to listen to them rather than just clicking the same artist from my artists collection or via recently played (also links to radio instead)

have you tried checking the library tab? there's a sorting option there if you have saves their albums.

https://support.spotify.com/us/using_spotify/the_basics/listen-offline/

Is this already solved?

I have the same problem in the spotify app for iPhone, although not for all artists. I tried to unfollow the artist, and using the overall search function to go to the full artist page, and then follow again. However, I still get only a few songs of the artist.

The affected artist shows “xxx songs” below the artist name in the artist overview.

When I open an “affected artist”, I can still press “view artist” in the “...“ menu to get all the info of the artist. Nevertheless, it’s really funny that for these few “affected artists” it’s different than for most artists (and also annoying to have to browse before getting all the required info).

Please let me know if there is a solution 

Hey folks, 

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here! 

The behavior you've noticed is expected as per app design. After opening the Artists tab you'll see the artists you've followed and the number of songs you liked from each artist below their name. The number shows less songs than on the artist page as you only see the tracks you added to your Liked Songs

Clicking on the artist image will show you a list of the liked songs and below the artist name you'll see a small label View Artist Page, which will take you to the actual artist page with the full discography. This is the difference between the artist page and your followed artists section.  

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions. 

This sucks, quite a lot. 
It’s just bad UX. A user has found an artist and clicked a button that says ‘follow’. But when they viewed their ‘followed’ artist you just get a tiny election of songs? For the record too, it’s not songs you’ve liked, as it’s happening for artists I’ve not played or liked any songs from yet. It’s got to be a bug. It doesn’t make any sense from a user’s point of view. Why would a user prefer to see this over the artists full profile? Better yet, just a list of their albums?

Suggested posts