Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Friend Activity sidebar not refreshing anymore

Friend Activity sidebar not refreshing anymore

I've had this issue for the past few days - where my Friends Activity sidebar does not refresh anymore. It shows what my friends listened to multiple days ago. What's weird is sometimes it shows one or two friends and their now playing, but that is pretty rare. I've been on email with Spotify Support and also with chat, and the best solution they had was to just delete my account and create a new one. I'd really rather not do that for multiple reasons, so I'd like to see if the community has any answers to this issue. A part of me feels like it's a server side issue, and I just need to somehow get a refresh of my account or something. Here's the steps I've taken to try to address this issue.

• Reinstalled Spotify mulitple times.
  • Removed my offline devices (at suggestion of Spotify Support)
  • Tried Spotify on more than one desktop/laptop computer.
  • Disconnected Spotify from my Facebook, and reconnected it
  • Refreshed the right sidebar in the "View" menu
  • Tried different accounts (those accounts did refresh the Friend Activity, including my own profile when I played a track from my phone)
  • Cleared the cache/App Data folder

Hope I can get this fixed, because it's a really neat way to see what my friends are listening to, and to discover new music. I've been pretty patient with Spotify lately as they've continued to remove features I loved about the service (namely shuffling folders) and while this wouldn't be a deal breaker if it didn't get fixed, I'd be pretty bummed about it. Thanks for any help in advance!

Windows 10 & Windows 7 OS (2 different devices), both running 1.0.57.474.

5 Replies

As a follow-up to this, I'm able to temporarily fix the problem, but how I fix it is incredibly tedious and frustrating. I have to follow and unfollow all the people I follow. This seems to refresh their position in the feed, and shows their now playing tracks (or at least shows that their last playing song was a few hours ago, as opposed to several days ago. However, the sucky thing is that once the friend activity feed refreshes, it goes back to the original feed, showing now playing songs for my friends from days and days ago.

It once again confirms my suspicion that this is a Spotify server side issue. I've tried deleting the Spotify "app" on Facebook, but I get an error message the first time I delete it, then I delete it and it disappears. It also could be this issue too. When I follow over 700 people (I unfollowed all the artists I used to follow to narrow down this list) I really don't want to have to do this over and over again just to see my friends' now playing.

I've contacted support many times over the last week or so, and I still haven't found a suitable solution yet. Any answers or solutions from the community?

Guys, thanks for all your advices. I did almost everything you listed, even the unfollow and follow again tactic, they show again but after a short time they disappear and become with a random 3h-1day delay time on activity.

I will keeping this thread up in case somebody's find and have a solution or find out what's going on. There's a lot of posts with the same problem and NO ONE from staff come to end with a solution.

I'm having the same problem. Haven't found a solution yet either.

Have the same issue. This is my 100% working solution

View-> Right Sidebar

Turn off, then turn on again.

p.s: it seems, that developers are completly ignoring this forum

Update: My spotify returned to normal friend activity yesterday and today seems okay too. After 2 months. IDK if someone from here did something, in this case thanks a lot, otherwise it could be login on another wifi (I passed the weekend on my parent's house) and perhaps it refreshed.

p.s. ohh and mozaxatt, I did it to not show the friend's sidebar and turned on again, but nothing happened. I remember that a person told to try relocate/change/turnon-off the views and sizes of spotify, that could help, but this solution only works for a minor amount of people.

Suggested posts