Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Friend Feed not Updating

Friend Feed not Updating

Hello, I have Spotify premium and am using it on Desktop for Windows 10 and am having the issue of being unable to see Friend Feed Activity. I tried following some other posts for their solutions but nothing has worked. I have version 1.1.51.382.g8e3b11ed.

I've tried unfollowing, refollowing, uninstalling, reinstalling, logging out, restarting the PC, and nothing has worked. The first time I uninstalled and reinstalled I had a glimmer of hope when Friend Activity suddenly popped up and said it was loading before it disappeared and was covered up by "See what your friends are playing". 

Any help would be appreciated, please and thank you. 

20 Replies

Hi there @batbutt,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

Can you try to switch off/on the setting Show friend activity under Display Options

Note that if your friends have turned on Private listening or have switched off Show my listening activity you won't be able to see what they're listening to.

Hope this helps. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

Cheers.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

That is the obvious solution, but it does not solve the problem on my computer. And there is no way all my friends have suddenly switched to private listening. I have clicked and unclicked and restarted and logged out and logged in and uninstalled and reinstalled, and nada. 

Is there a glitch in the latest update? This happened within the last week or 10 days. Thank you.

Hey @blandcrowder,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

We appreciate the troubleshooting you've done so far, but to be sure that we're on the same page - did you use these steps for a clean reinstall? They are more thorough than a regular one. That way you can make sure the cache is not causing this issue.

If that doesn't fix things, it would help us pinpoint the root cause of the issue if you could log in on another device or use a friend or family members account and see how the Friend Feed comes up there.

Keep us posted, we'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Mihail Moderator

I have the same issue this IS a bug, I'm a developer so I understand you think these settings are working, but they are not. One of my friend's and I have tried every device every setting and cannot see each other anymore. And why is it always stuck saying "Go to setting -> Social and enable 'share my listening activity on Spotify'" if it IS enabled??? I have 3 PC's and 1 Mac, they all show the same issue. You need to QA this better idk what is going on but it's been broken for 2+ months and it's driving my friends and I crazy. I've attached  screenshot as well.

spotify_bug_activity.png

Hi there @ramb0t,

Thank you for your your reply and feedback in this thread.

Can you provide us a screenshot so that we can have a closer look directly from your end?

It would also be great if you can let us know which version of the app you're having?

Keep us posted 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi, I did provide a screenshot of my exact setup/problem.

Spotify for Windows
1.1.79.763.gc2965cdf

Hi @ramb0t,

Thank you for keeping us updated.

The default setting to share the listening activity has been globally set to OFF. This gives everyone more direct control and choice if they want to publicly share what they listen to. Activating this option just allows other users to see what you're listening to.

Keep in mind that to be able to see your friend's listening activity, they must have this option active too.

If you've already confirmed with your friends that they also have the option turned on, try to unfollow and Follow back again each other to refresh the information. Then play some music from each account and give it a few hours to check if the activity shows up.

Let us know how it goes.

OscarDCModerator

Attached screenshots. Proof that this is on your end or you have a widespread UI bug.

spotify_error_2.png
spotify_error_1.png

Hey @ramb0t,

Thank you for keeping us in the loop.

We appreciate the time you took sending those screenshots; they're really helpful. To keep investigating this issue, would you mind confirming if you followed the previous process of unfollow each other and following back again? This will give us a better understanding of the issue. 

If so and the issue persists, could you try to test it with a different friend as well to see if it makes any difference?

We'll be on the lookout. 

OscarDCModerator

I have unfollowed and followed and it still will not display even with another friend. I'm also using 5 different PC's for testing here and they all do the same thing:

-Windows 10 Ryzen Custom PC

-Windows 10 LG gram 16

-Windows 10 Razer blade stealth

-Windows 10 thinkpad p590

-Mac OSX latest Mac Pro M1

Friend activity doesn't work for me. It worked for like 3-4 months during end of 2021/beginning of 2022, and since then it's been radio silence. I didn't change anything in settings and it's all turned on properly. I even uninstalled the app today and deleted cache, checked some boxes in windows firewall but it still doesn't work properly. Below I enclose how it looks for me in settings and app

Hey @testestest2 ,

Thanks for reaching out.

You won't see your own listening activity there when this setting is enabled, but your followers will be able to see it. 🙂

Let me know if you have any other questions.

MaximSpotify Star
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

That's not a solution. When I had it enabled earlier I could see my friends activity. Now I can't see their activity but they still see mine activity. I don't see any of others activity. The function just doesn't work.

Hey @testestest2 ,

This setting doesn't affect if you'll be able to see your friend's activity or not. I'd recommend telling them to check if they have enabled the setting on their end. If they haven't, you cannot see their activity.

MaximSpotify Star
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

They have it enabled. The function doesn't work for me for some reason and it used to work for me for some time just fine. It just stopped working one day for no reason.

it randomly started working again. lol.

Hey @testestest2,

Thanks for your last reply. 

We're glad to know that this is working as it should. 

Remember the Community is here in case anything else comes up. 

Have a great day!

AndresMModerator
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

That's not a fix though, can someone at Spotify look into why some of us with the proper settings cannot see our friends even when the settings are open for both people...

Please look into this more, this is a legit bug. I'm a programmer so it's not like I'm saying this lightly. It's been irritating not getting proper support for this... where are the log files? How can we dive deeper into resolving this?  As stated previously my friend and I both have the setting on (see screenshots above) :

I have unfollowed and followed and it still will not display even with another friend. I'm also using 5 different PC's for testing here and they all do the same thing:

-Windows 10 Ryzen Custom PC

-Windows 10 LG gram 16

-Windows 10 Razer blade stealth

-Windows 10 thinkpad p590

-Mac OSX latest Mac Pro M1

Suggested posts