Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Give us your feedback - 0.9.0

Solved!

Give us your feedback - 0.9.0

Hey everyone,

Following on from our previous thread on 0.8.8, we've started up this thread to gather feedback from you on 0.9.0.

We want to hear what you love, what you hate, and any other emotions you have towards the app.

You'll find a list of everything that's changed in the app in our release notes hereAnd we'll be keeping this post updated with the changes we're making, along with where you can give us further feedback.

What we've changed:

1. The app should be a lot quicker now. So if you were affected by any slow behaviour previously, this shouldn't be an issue any more.

2. Clicking anywhere in the Now Playing box, rather than just the album art, will bring you straight to the song. This was reported here.

Where you can give us further feedback with your comments and kudos:

1. Change the white interface [we're currently reaching to users about this directly]

2. Changes to the activity feed -

i. Bring back the old activity feed

ii. The Favourites feature

iii.Greater control of content in the feed: 

3. Bring back the total playlst length:

4. Filter option on artist pages

5. Go back to the old artist layout 

6. Ability to view all Facebook friends in the Follow tab:

7. View all playlist followers

8. Block/Remove followers 

9. Separate artists and friends

10. Remove 'who to follow'

11. Revert the font back to the original size (or provide an option to do so)

12. Restore 'View as Album List'

Thanks for all your support. We appreciate that there are a lot of changes going on at the moment and it can be a bumpy road at times. But we're confident that you'll like where we're going.

All your opinions matter and go into making Spotify the best product it can be. Keep it coming!

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@Richard wrote:

Hey everyone,

Following on from our previous thread on 0.8.8, we've started up this thread to gather feedback from you on 0.9.0.

We want to hear what you love, what you hate, and any other emotions you have towards the app.

Hey Richard,

I'll make you a offer. We'll beta test your app (since it's pretty obvious that it hasn't been tested internally that much), we'll give you our views and we'll report all the problems and bugs that we find. All we ask in return is two things:

1. When we ask a question regarding the app, you give us a straight and unambiguous answer to the best of your ability and knowledge, and if you don't know the answer then say so and tell us what you intend to do to find it.

2. When we report a bug or a problem, or voice an opinion about something we don't like in the app then tell us in an unambiguous manner if Spotify intends to do anything about it or not.

Is it a deal?

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Here are some useful links.

Downgrade instructions:

Future of the native desktop client:

SpotCommander - The most elegant, intuitive, feature-rich & universal remote control for Spotify, exclusive for Linux users!

Marked as solution

Just adding my voice to the choir letting you know that you need to bring the album list back. Please also put it in the Iphone / Ipad apps.

Or at least tell us why it was removed. Maybe you're doing something with the Collection that we don't know. I think most of the frustration on these forums come from you not telling us anything whatsoever.

Give us the big plan and we will be happier. Like this: "We're moving towards a completely HTML based app and in the meantime you might encounter bugs and loss of functionality, but don't worry, it's coming back, with new great features like the Collection". See, it's not hard.

Instead we have to vote to get stuff back, and be angry for months while your reputation goes down the toilet.

Marked as solution

@kazaroth: Looks good! Can you consider adding instructions for downgrading the Linux client as well?

Here are the necessary steps on Ubuntu:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-vMQvA3A7NWS76PvgUmx3eP-qmSNZzMOKgY1DJH8iZw/pub

I can send you some screenshots later.

The more people who downgrades, the more Spotify needs to listen. Therefore, the more web pages that write about the subject, the better.
SpotCommander - The most elegant, intuitive, feature-rich & universal remote control for Spotify, exclusive for Linux users!

Marked as solution

copy/paste from artist pages still doesn't work

still no year on albums

still no ctrl-f filter on artist and album-pages

this update (downgrade) didn't bring anything useful to me, that I had in 0.8.5

GIVE ME BACK 0.8.5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marked as solution

Dear Spotify, please find a way for us to continue using 0.8.5 otherwise I will terminate my paid membership. I'm clearly not the only person who feels this way around here. You guys are going to have a serious amount of competition very soon on top of the other current alternatives, you are commiting business suicide. I already have a paid membership to another service (Qobuz), I'll miss Spotify 0.8.5 but there is no reason for me to stick around to use your terrible new interface.

Marked as solution

I was using 0.8.5 until this latest debacle. I tried 0.8.7 and have now moved to 0.6.5.  0.6.5 is like a F1 car compared to the Mercedes of 0.8.5 and 0.8.7. and the broken down lorry that is 0.9.0.

920 Replies

@Richard wrote:

Hey everyone,

Where you can give us further feedback with your comments and kudos:

1. Change the white interface [we're currently reaching to users about this directly]

2. Changes to the activity feed 

1 & 2 are keeping me from even trying upgrading from v0.8.5.

Well until i see some feedback that says that 0.9.0 is not also a pile of crap i shall stick with 0.8.5 thanks. Looks to me like very few of the issues that were complained about in the 0.8.8 "horrible update" thread have actually been dealt with as we can see by the list. I'd probably try it if i had any confidence in Spotify to provide a good product. Unfortunately i do not. I am one customer who has had their confidence in Spotify destroyed in the past couple of months.

The decision to lock the Horrible Update thread is not the correct one. After today, I will not be visiting these forums, or subscribing to Spotify again. Such a pity - I quite enjoyed 0.8.5, but the attitude of the company, management and community moderators stinks so bad, that I'm only getting myself worked up. And it's not worth it. So I wish the remaining frustrated users the best of luck finding a replacement for Spotify, and the staff the best of luck finding jobs in the future.

There was absolutely no reason to lock the Horrible Update thread, a simple name change involving the current version number would have done ie: Horrible Update [0.8.8 - 0.9.0]. Everything in there was and is still relevant. This is censorship, plain and simple, and I feel personally insulted.

If you agree please kudos this idea: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Re-open-the-Horrible-Update-thread/idi-p/366570

Smash Up The Dancefloor (Drum & Bass)
Fluid Mechanics (Chilled)

I am not a regular poster here, but the upgrades in 2013 has really started to annoy me. Why do you intentionally make a good application worse/slower/uglier?

1. Bring back the album view. Browsing local files is a pain in the a** with 0.9.
  2. Bring back the old row padding/font - or at least give us an option to chose for ourselves.
  3. Bring back the dark colour scheme. The new "white" looks flawed, not consistant with the rest of the UI and just plain ugly.

What on earth were you thinking in the first place when implementing these things? I am currently a premium subscriber, but really considering cancelling my subscription if this sh*t isn't resolved.

Thanks in advance.

Well, there is a thread about annoying issue - you can resize app when it's maximized on windows (vide: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Windows-Native-look-amp-feel/td-p/366400) but it can be generalized - just use native look and feel instead of the dumb mac-ish theme =,=

Right now, Spotify feels incredibly broken, so I'll limit my list to the things that bug me most, asside from the issues that are already on your list.

I was under the impression I already made a pretty easy to read list of issues I have with the new version, but I'll try to give more specific feedback on what I would like to see changed.

Layout

I would like to be able to use the compact playlist style used in previous versions. 0.9.0 uses 5px of padding both on top and below tracks (so, 10px in total), which severely decreases the number of tracks visible in the playlist view.

• Reduce the padding on playlist tracks (to 'what it was before')
  • or/and, tell me how to adjust padding in skin.xml (so far I only managed to reduce the font size, not the collum height.)

Offline files and Purchased content

Please remember the cache and purchases location between sessions on the same machine. Right now, the settings reset to the default, on the wrong disk, after each start up. Then Spotify assumes that offline access has been revoked, and never looks back on the old data. It would also be nice if Spotify actually resumed to work with offline files after correcting the settings, to point to the location of existing offline files.

Album View

Album view had the nice feature of adding a collumn with track number information, that allowed you to sort playlists in the order in which songs appeared on their albums. This would probably work better if it allowed you to group per album at the same time, but it was already useful for playlists of a single release.

Added date in Library view

When I view my library playlist, the entire 'Added' collumn is empty. I assume this is a bug, since the collumn itself still exists. I would like to be able to quickly see songs I recently added to any of my playlists again.

I would also like to be able to put partial songs into playlists, and see a list of who is following a playlist, in stead of just the first 3. But I don't expect those two things to be important to all that many people.

- RC-1290

Hi -- I'm at work right now (office) an literally just logged on to browse the forum -- and then I see this post!! Thanks in advance (before I experience it xD ) !! Thanks for all your guys' + gals' hard work and for listening to the community.

I can't wait to come home and download this!!

kat

Without music, life would B♭

Well must be a busy day for your worthless programmers and developers at Spotify today, huh? Fired uop the mobile app today to listen to a song and finds out my downloaded lists have been withdrawned, I was already starting to feel the anger when i started the app and when I saw it almost broke my phone! HOW can you be so disrespectful to us?! IS THIS WHAT I PAY FOR?!?!

Do I pay you to **bleep** up? What have you actually been doing the last couple of month? I seriously wonder if you actually care the slightest?! HOW did you people at Spotify actually think when you applied the new theme? The client looks like utter     s h i t     and it get worse by every update as it seems. When I see that you have brought it up as an "issue to discuss" of some sort. Is that just some way to make it look good infront of the people taking their time to complain about it and then just piss us in the face not doing a got darn thing?!

HOW can you manage to **bleep** it up so badly?! Sorting my lists can't be done anymore without spotify resetting it every time. Same goes with the offline cache, keeps resetting. As for the problem with sorting lists, I presume it gonna take a couple of month to get this problem with offline cache solved?????

How about this: Try to make a client with features that work and that actually make people satisfied (EDIT: and by this I mean focus on delivering music at first not becomeing THE SECOND FACEBOOK!!!) instead of adding features to it that do not work and the make a new feature for that feature that mess things up even more. How does that sound?

As for now it seems like spotify is more for add socializing features than delivering music to their users. Why don't you just add a button on facebook with A LOT of padding(A LOOOT) and A DISGUSTING white theme that says "Play some music(if you're lucky)"? But hey, I guess that is what you want after seeing your Web player..

My feedback regarding 0.9.0 is go back in time when Spotify was launched as BETA in the USA. That's my feedback. That's when it worked. That's when it wasn't so f'ed up. I agree Spotify should stop trying to be the next Facebook and focus on what everyone is using Spotify for... We still don't even have a DARN STOP button for the RADIO, instead we must close out of Spotify and re open it, unless there is a trick I haven't figured out yet but I FIND IT ANNOYING... I just miss Spotify... and that would be.... when it was a in BETA... Otherwise I can careless about all this social JUNK.... but anyways that is my opionion oh yea and to close the horrible 0.8.8 thread... was totally wrong.

I been with Spotify since it was launched in the US. My time is real close to just say heck with this mess because again it isn't worth anyones time and stress...

I will speak for myself but I am here for one thing and one thing only... MUSIC... I'm not here to see what SALLY LISTENS too, or what John DOE listens too I am not here for that BS!!!!

So why fix something that isn't broken now you have a broken Spotify which I doubt your crappy development will never EVER fix it is just so far long gone in my opinion. Unless you guys sit down and focus and release immediately fixes one by one and get this crap straightend out, otherwise FORGET IT.... Spotify is gone, Spotify isn't the company I remember when it first launched in the US as beta....

So there you go... However I still feel that these feeback people are giving are worthless as the company isn't going to do anything to fix the mess they created...

Your program went from best to worst in the short space of a few weeks.  I was a frequent user and I recommended Spotify to everyone.  Although I never subscribed, I might have.  Now I certainly will not.

After totally rearranging (destroying) everything that I seemed to enjoy about the old Spotify I uninstalled your product.  I no longer recommend it to anyone.  I've begun using Rdio.

I have noticed far fewer of my friends, on Facebook and otherwise, using Spotify.  Many of them have the same complaints that myself and others have had.

You claim to be so eager to listen to feedback, yet, the feedback that I get from actual users tells me that you have a different agenda.  Actions speak louder than words.  A program either works or it doesn't.  It is either fun or it is frustrating.  Your product went from one end to the other, quickly and without any feedback from me (or any of your paying customers, apparently).

I can't tell you what is or is not working with Spotify because I am no longer using it.  That is the only feedback you are going to get from me and the many people like me until the word of mouth about your product once again becomes positive.  I discovered Spotify through social media and converstion.  The same media is not being so kind to you today.  Live by the sword . . .

Locking the "horrible update" thread smacks of damage control.  Good luck with that.

Oh, and Kat, who are you dating on the development team?

@RC-1290 wrote:

Layout

I would like to be able to use the compact playlist style used in previous versions. 0.9.0 uses 5px of padding both on top and below tracks (so, 10px in total), which severely decreases the number of tracks visible in the playlist view.

• Reduce the padding on playlist tracks (to 'what it was before')
  • or/and, tell me how to adjust padding in skin.xml (so far I only managed to reduce the font size, not the collum height.)

I have checked the skin.xml file too, but couldnt find it out either. My guess is, those padding settings are stored in one of the xml files of the "View" folder within the resources.zip. Didn't have that much time to play around with it, maybe you can have a look at them. 😉

Hey guys,

I just want to share how sad i am since this morning, when my Spotify desktop client (Windows) launched at work and i couldn't find back all my album covers art on playlists. (Ctrl+G not working anymore)

I can't understand why removing this visual option?

I am considering my playlists as a record of the albums i am listening to every months and these covers looked to me as my own CD collection.

Honestly, should we expect it to come back in a further version or is it just gone and won't appear again?

Thanks.

Jiggs_Casey wrote:
"Oh, and Kat, who are you dating on the development team?"

Dude, that's not cool.
I'm really annoyed by the apparent lack of progress the past few years, but ad hominem remarks are not going to help.

I wish you wouldn't have locked my Horrible Update thread, Richard.  I left the version number in the title as a bit of a courtesy from when you changed it but I would have modified it if I had known there was a new version.  My new title would be "Horrible Update [0.8.8 and above], or something of that nature.  I want to stick to an older version as long as possible (which may not be much longer apparently), but from what I hear it's still pretty horrible, and I imagine you and/or the powers that be were looking for any excuse to end the nearly 200 pages of complaints.  But if you don't want to unlock the thread, I'd be glad to create a "Still a Horrible Update" thread.

The now playing box has a new annoying thing: that share button. It's taking space from the song title now. Do you really need to have a share button EVERYWHERE? You already have one in front of every track, which is quite annoying, but putting one in the now playing box is getting over the top.

It's also quite easy to accidentally click the track title (brings you to the album page) or the artist title (brings you to the artist's page) instead of the blank space behind them. I don't see a purpose linking to the album page, because the artist page already lists all the albums. A small fix could be to make the track title unclickable, but keep the clickable artist name. It's not too hard to get used to how it is right now, though, so there may be no fix needed.

ah the Joys of  version 0.9 

http://i.imgur.com/HRffbaK.png

The last time I looked Cobra Skulls didnt release Green Day albums. This took a restart of spotify to fix, simply refreshing the page or doing another search didnt work.  Oh and just to be clear it wasnt just a single green day album it was their entire collection. Seems the top half of the page can refresh without refreshing the bottom half

"View as Album list"   Where did it go?  

Very disapointed in this so-called "improvement"

Please help me understand why you would take away "View as Album List". At least leave the option there for users who like that... also the new font size change is something I'm not a fan of either. Why change things if they've been working just fine.

I apprecaite the help stablizing the app since it all it does is crash / force close / lag.... but changing the "View as" and Font is really ruining the experience for me.

I use Spotify daily. Please help me keep it that way

Suggested posts