Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Give us your feedback - 0.9.0

Solved!

Give us your feedback - 0.9.0

Hey everyone,

Following on from our previous thread on 0.8.8, we've started up this thread to gather feedback from you on 0.9.0.

We want to hear what you love, what you hate, and any other emotions you have towards the app.

You'll find a list of everything that's changed in the app in our release notes hereAnd we'll be keeping this post updated with the changes we're making, along with where you can give us further feedback.

What we've changed:

1. The app should be a lot quicker now. So if you were affected by any slow behaviour previously, this shouldn't be an issue any more.

2. Clicking anywhere in the Now Playing box, rather than just the album art, will bring you straight to the song. This was reported here.

Where you can give us further feedback with your comments and kudos:

1. Change the white interface [we're currently reaching to users about this directly]

2. Changes to the activity feed -

i. Bring back the old activity feed

ii. The Favourites feature

iii.Greater control of content in the feed: 

3. Bring back the total playlst length:

4. Filter option on artist pages

5. Go back to the old artist layout 

6. Ability to view all Facebook friends in the Follow tab:

7. View all playlist followers

8. Block/Remove followers 

9. Separate artists and friends

10. Remove 'who to follow'

11. Revert the font back to the original size (or provide an option to do so)

12. Restore 'View as Album List'

Thanks for all your support. We appreciate that there are a lot of changes going on at the moment and it can be a bumpy road at times. But we're confident that you'll like where we're going.

All your opinions matter and go into making Spotify the best product it can be. Keep it coming!

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips
920 Replies

I don't like the fact that instead of people's photos appearing when they listen to music the album art is displayed instead. Its so much more impersonal. 

The new update sucks, to be frank. 

Edit:  Also, no matter what I do my Starred playlist always appears as 'secret' instead of public.

Why do I have the feeling that they're not even listening to us? They're not even improving a lot of stuff prior to putting out another update. Seriously, are these people effing kidding me?

Why in the big blue Hades are the album art thumbnails gone from the Library? It only shows up above your current song name. I like the bigger font, but who in their right mind would think a tradeoff between bigger text and the lack of album art thumbnails in the scroll-down menu for the Library was a good idea? No, seriously, how is this a good idea?!? The album art thumbnails made looking at a large library easier.

[sarcasm] Oh, and thanks for locking "Horrible Update." That action totally makes a good point about how 0.9 is better than anything above 0.8.5! [/sarcasm]

EDIT: Oh, and I'm using a new desktop PC instead of that horrible netbook, hence why I can actually use it. Too bad it's still not better than 0.8.5. The white theme is still there and it makes me want to scrub my brain with metal and acid after seeing that it still exists.

The new update makes Spotify a lot faster to start up and use.  So thanks for that.

@NeilN wrote:

The new update makes Spotify a lot faster to start up and use.  So thanks for that.

True, but it still doesn't make up for the fact that things we hated from the last version are still there (the white theme is the worst offender).

Also, I still have to wait around a minute for all my stuff to load. v8.5.1 loaded everything instantly when I used it.

EDIT: Well, it took a minute the first time I used 0.9. I hope it doesn't do this again.

It feels like Spotify is continuing to take away the features I love, i.e., the album art view. That was incredibly useful on the New Release Tuesday playlist I follow, as I could just press control + g to bring up the list of albums in an easy to view list. Now, I have to look at all the album titles, when they were posted, etc., to find the music I'm looking for, and it's much less efficient. I'm also not crazy about the larger font, as fewer songs can be viewed at once. I'm happy that the speed issue has finally been fixed, but why remove yet another feature that made it so great having a desktop app in the first place?

dinomightSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I did say previously I'd give it a day or more to be fair but I just got fed up of the general unpleasantness of the whole user experience. Navigation through pages is annoying with the back button returning me to the top of each page and clicking album art not taking me to the position of the playing track on artist pages. The larger text and greater line spacing is not nice to look at when I'm in front of my screen, I've said I'm all for better accessibility for partially sighted people but since thats not Spotify's intention here anyway its all the more annoying.

I've repeatedly had problems with an artist's collection being completely listed twice on their page which made it hard for me to work out what was what. And there's still the problem of playlists returning to default order when i reopen Spotify.

So sure, its good that it starts up nice and quick but the rest is not worth it. 0.8.7 was a simple overwrite to put it back some way to how it should be. I'll go back to 0.8.5 later.

Its a shame as I do want the new features like discover (which wasn't even there) and the follow tab which I prefer over the old people tab. I just don't wish to use a turd of a program in order to have some nice gimmicks.

Smash Up The Dancefloor (Drum & Bass)
Fluid Mechanics (Chilled)

WHY DID  YOU REMOVE ALBUM VIEW... THAT MAKES NO SENSE.  I add whole albums to my playlists but like to be able to find a specific album and having the cover art made that much easier.  Also, why in the heck would you not want to see the album art.  That's part of why there has been a resurgence in vinyl records.  Come on.  Make the album view better, don't take it away.

--- sorry if I put this in the worng place.

@Tusk wrote:

I am not a regular poster here, but the upgrades in 2013 has really started to annoy me. Why do you intentionally make a good application worse/slower/uglier?

1. Bring back the album view. Browsing local files is a pain in the a** with 0.9.
  2. Bring back the old row padding/font - or at least give us an option to chose for ourselves.
  3. Bring back the dark colour scheme. The new "white" looks flawed, not consistant with the rest of the UI and just plain ugly.

What on earth were you thinking in the first place when implementing these things? I am currently a premium subscriber, but really considering cancelling my subscription if this sh*t isn't resolved.

Thanks in advance.

Totally agree, registered just to post here. I've never said anything about all the updates that made some questionable changes, but this new update is seriously making me question what is happening. Everything about it makes it harder to read and use now, not easier. 

No album art and gigantic padding are killing me, i'm considering cancelling my sub if they dont' change anything regarding this.

Also, what's with it not remembering things like how I choose to sort playlists (date added, etc.), whether I tuned on "Album view" or not (which is now no longer there), and so on.  Really really awful.  I'll throw my hat in also that I am a paying subscriber with a few followers and I will definitely be leaving if these thighs aren't fixed.

I'm concurring with removing Album Art + Large Font being an unwanted, unnecessary step backwards. 

All my offline tracks were withdrawn after update. Not cool Spotify!

And are you freaking kidding me with the big fontsize?

The big font is a very, VERY big problem! and why did you remove albul art view? Why, spotify? Why are you breaking your just-until-recently superior service? 

Hey Daniel Ek.

Please kick out all your Windows developers and get another set of better developers.

Maybe then we get 100% working Spotify Premium until 2023. ;D

Seriously, do ANYONE think this http://i.imgur.com/Xcr3jmp.jpg 

is better than this? http://i.imgur.com/RvawcD9.jpg

Marked as solution

@Richard wrote:

Hey everyone,

Following on from our previous thread on 0.8.8, we've started up this thread to gather feedback from you on 0.9.0.

We want to hear what you love, what you hate, and any other emotions you have towards the app.

Hey Richard,

I'll make you a offer. We'll beta test your app (since it's pretty obvious that it hasn't been tested internally that much), we'll give you our views and we'll report all the problems and bugs that we find. All we ask in return is two things:

1. When we ask a question regarding the app, you give us a straight and unambiguous answer to the best of your ability and knowledge, and if you don't know the answer then say so and tell us what you intend to do to find it.

2. When we report a bug or a problem, or voice an opinion about something we don't like in the app then tell us in an unambiguous manner if Spotify intends to do anything about it or not.

Is it a deal?

Not to mention that the new Spotify icon for Mac is SUPER UGLY.  haha, seriously? What are you guys doing over there?

-- Also, on  a side note, I also find it hilarious that the spell check on your own forum doesn't recognize "Spotify".

Also there is no need for new mother**bleep**ing washing machine in Spotify application or other **bleep**ty fictitious things like "This app has an extensive collection of hotel toiletries.", I just want working Spotify!!!

Who can make Spotify bug free and good in this Swedish corporation?

"

Where you can give us further feedback with your comments and kudos:

1. Change the white interface [we're currently reaching to users about this directly]

2. Changes to the activity feed -

i. Bring back the old activity feed

ii. The Favourites feature

iii.Greater control of content in the feed: 

3. Bring back the total playlst length:

4. Filter option on artist pages

5. Go back to the old artist layout 

6. Ability to view all Facebook friends in the Follow tab:

7. View all playlist followers

8. Block/Remove followers 

9. Separate artists and friends

10. Remove 'who to follow'"

I honestly don't think more and more people saying the same things that have already been said many times about items in that list is going to change anything, so why bother?  I think what you really mean is, "We're going to act like we're going to make changes if we get  more feedback, but really we're not."

*sigh*

I can appreciate that you want to get ready for the Chinese market - it will give the music artists a lot of money from potentially hundreds of millions of users. However, I really think that people with small computer screens , who don't read chinese anyway , should have the option in Preferences of a more compact font. I basically just want LOTS of options in Preferences, so I can turn off all the stuff I don't use.

Otherwise, as long as the slow startup problem is solved, I guess I can sort of live with the current version. As long as the developers are aware that there's still some work to do before we're back at something comparable to the slick Spotify of last year.

How do I remove "Fan" from the text here on the left?

EDIT: I'm definitely not a superfan right now...

Suggested posts