Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Have premium membership, how do I download music?

Solved!

Have premium membership, how do I download music?

Hello everyone,

New to Spotify and just paid for my premium membership. Could someone tell me how I can download music to my PC?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Spotify premium allows you to download playlists for offline usage inside the Spotify client. This means you will be able to listen to tracks when you don't have an internet connection. 

Check out this page for more info on that 🙂 

You can't however take those tracks (or any Spotify content) outside of the Spotify client for use in another program as you do not own the tracks.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hey folks,

You'll find the most updated steps on how to download your music for offline listening on your desktop in this support article.

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

129 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Spotify premium allows you to download playlists for offline usage inside the Spotify client. This means you will be able to listen to tracks when you don't have an internet connection. 

Check out this page for more info on that 🙂 

You can't however take those tracks (or any Spotify content) outside of the Spotify client for use in another program as you do not own the tracks.

Peter

Peter

How to take those tracks (or any Spotify content) outside of the Spotify client for use in another program as you do not own the tracks.

Spotify content is only playable using the spotify application on the relevant device.

how do i down load music to my pc

@bigjohn47 wrote:

how do i down load music to my pc

Hey, welcome to the Community.

With a Premium subscription you can sync music to be available offline on your computer/mobile, but there's no way to export content outside of Spotify. We offer a streaming model so you pay a subscription (or use the ad-supported Free service) to stream tracks from our catalogue. We then pay royalties based on those streams. If you were able to export music outside of Spotify we wouldn't be able to track plays and wouldn't be able to compensate rights-holders, which we don't think is fair.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

I thought thats the whole point of the premium account. You pay so you can download music... what a waste of time then if you cant. I dont mind paying but I dont want to be stuck with just one software which is why I didnt want to use itunes or Amazon.....

@user-removed wrote:

I thought thats the whole point of the premium account. You pay so you can download music... what a waste of time then if you cant. I dont mind paying but I dont want to be stuck with just one software which is why I didnt want to use itunes or Amazon.....

Spotify is a streaming service, not a download service 😉 

You pay to stream music from Spotify, you never "own" it. The offline playlist feature is more like renting a DVD in old school times (before we had netflix!). 

Peter

Peter

sad to hear this, I've just bought few months Premium.

I discovered  some very good versions of few songs on Spotify  and wanted to slowdown some solos with other programs.

Maybe you can add this to spotify as new feature?

I know a lot of musicians, who would be appreciated if you could do this.

Regards

Spotify, don't you realise that I like to own the music? I was about to purchase Spotify premium hearing that you can download the music while offline, but now I see that it's still kept on your program. While I like the idea, I want to still have my music if something ever happens to Spotify.

Being able to keep millions of tracks for the cost of one month's premium (or no cost at all if you taked the 30 day trial) would be insanely good value. Got my vote 🙂

@primaltare - if you want to "own" music then you need a downloads service, not a streaming service (which is what Spotify is). Its exactly the same as Netflix, rent/license vs ownership. 

To be fair, music will never vanish - if anything ever did happen to Spotify you would still be able to "own" the content if you purchased it in the future. (That's my long term back up plan!)

Peter

I think Spotify should add the option of purchasing songs or whole playlists. It would make both Spotify and the artist some money.
Just a suggestion.

@jman100th - That option did actually used to exist in selected markets, but was removed a while back as Spotify said they wanted to focus more on their primary aim of being the best streaming service. 

Be sure to add your vote here:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Bring-Back-the-Downloads-Store-and-Credits/idi-p/27351...

Peter

Before you could buy the music on spotify. Now you can't because they think its not fair. Well if you are a Premium Member then you should be allowed to buy the music for personal use and listen to streams aswell. Like that artists get paid twice (derr!) and we can enjoy the best of both worlds. What's wrong with that? I say nothing as if you want this internet music thing to work, that's the logical way to do it. If arstists are moaning about not making enough from their music online, that way they will ! I think it's because Spotify feel intimidated and under pressure from record labels. But you are the revolution !? Lead the way ! Then we can get rid of itunes for good.

I doubt it had anything to do with fairness. Most likely it wasn't profitable.

Yup I agree, if they made money they wouldn't have stopped it. Business 101. 😉

Peter

What I do is to buy a record in a shop if I want to have it permanently. 

For me anyway, there would be no point in downloading onto my PC, it would just take up loads of space and on Premium the music can be delivered in high quality. 

For those of us wishing to enjoy music on our home hi-fi we can hook it up to the PC to hear Spotify.

I have just downloaded Spotify Premium on to my computer and all of my itunes converted over, but it does not show me the option how tso sync that music to my iphone. Can aynone help me with some easy answers?

ChefTexCyn

Hello and welcome @cheftexcyn . This FAQ is a great place to start but please shout if you have any problems.

Suggested posts