[Help] some local files are only found when moving them

[Help] some local files are only found when moving them

Device

Desktop PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Hi,

i've discovered following: 3 of my local music files which previously where found by the spotify desktop app just fine suddenly are only found by the app when i move them to a different folder. When i then close and reopen the spotify desktop app they are not found again. On my mobile app i can play them without a problem. I've already tried reinstalling Spotify but that didn't solve it.

I hope somebody can help me

9 Replies

Hey there @Th3Bl00dyN1n3r,

Thanks for reaching out to us 🙂

Can you give these steps a go and run a clean reinstall? This one is more thorough than the usual one.

If the issue persists, you can try running the app as administrator. Are there any changes?

Keep us in the loop! We'll be right here if you have any further questions.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hey,

thx for the reply. I tried a clean install as well as running it as admin, sadly the problem still exists

Hey @Th3Bl00dyN1n3r,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Could you please confirm that the files in question are from official sources and in the formats listed here? Also keep in mind that we have this Ongoing Issue at the moment. If your local files contain non-English characters, make sure to +VOTE and subscribe to it. We'll keep you posted on any updates on the matter there.

Keep us posted, we're right here if you need further help.

Mihail Moderator

Hey,

thx for your reply and the link to the ongoing issue about local files. Installed an old version (1.1.44.538.g8057de92) and it could find all my local files including the 3 files the newest version could not find without a problem, so it seems that it's the same problem other people have with the newest version

Hey @Th3Bl00dyN1n3r,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We're happy to hear you found a workaround for the issue. Could you share the version of the app you previously had installed. We'll happily look into this further to see what might have caused the behavior you were experiencing.

Looking forward to your reply.

Mihail Moderator

the version where the app definitely can't find those 3 local files is 1.1.46.916.g416cacf1

edit: just did some more testing: 2 of the 3 files weren't found by the app on start because they had german umlauts in the file names, when removing them spotify is able to find them on start (version 1.1.46.916.g416cacf1) again. No clue why the app can't find the last file though (it has no umlauts or special characters in the file-name, just normal english characters)

Hey @Th3Bl00dyN1n3r,

Thanks for the update.

Could you try renaming the last file using the English keyboard, even if it doesn't contain any German characters? You can try adding it do a new folder on your desktop and adding it as a separate source of local files using these steps.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Mihail Moderator

Ok, got the 3rd file to be found as well. I cleared the filename and wrote the same filename again (100% same characters/same filename as before, german keyboard). The file is now under the local files again. Strangly i had to remove the "old" local file from my playlist as spotify could not connect it to the file and add the "new" one, but it works now.

Hey @Th3Bl00dyN1n3r,

Thanks letting us know that it worked, we're happy to hear that!

Removing the imported song from the playlist or even deleting the playlist is indeed sometimes a visible solution in such cases. Sometimes data exchange and synching issues between the device and our servers come up and this is a simple fix, in that it build the connection anew from the ground up.

Let us know if something else comes up, we're always one post away.

Mihail Moderator

Suggested posts