NEXT STEP

Hey Spotify, I think you guys broke something

Hey Spotify, I think you guys broke something

Plan

Premium

Operating System

Windows 10

Issue

I can't get anything to play unless it is in my saved songs list or it was already in a previous created playlist. Anytime I trying to play something that isn't in one of the two I just get a black album cover with a grey outline of a CD with the "+" button next to it. I've already reinstalled Spotify and see other people are now having this issue as of late. I would love if you guys could fix this issue as your service does include a payed version and I just happen to be one of those people paying for that version.

hello.png
11 Replies

Plan

Premium

Country

France

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I can only play "liked" songs on my PC. Only titles on my library are available. 

Other songs on playlists appear as "NaN", what does it means?

Andorid works fine

Everytime I search up a song and I want to listen to it, I press play and the song doesn't play. Any way to fix this? I already tried to clean re-install it but it still doesn't work.

Same is here, It happens to me. and most of the playlists even the official ones are completely empty!

{2B776711-7B91-43B0-B7B1-5D4277FACBCA}.png

Free

Country DE

Device LAPTOP: WIN 10

My Question or Issue

#1 Offical Spotify Playlist are shown to me as EMPTY

Example:  House is a Feeling "2 songs, and these are from MY playlists, Sabaton and Black Sabbath. and i dont think these are usally in a "house" playlist from SPOTIFY.

Some songs, if in a playlist, but only NEW lists, i try to hear a song.

The Album Cover is just blank with the default icon and pressing the PLAY button does nothing.

Hey @Th3r3aljay, @Gamefreak, @user-removed, @ninocantor and @YSQ 🙂

Thank you for coming to the Community!

I suggest checking your hosts file for any Spotify-related entries.

Sometimes some third party apps (e.g adblockers) edit the file for reasons such as blocking ads. However, when Spotify-related addresses are in there, chances are Spotify does not work properly anymore.

Try this:

1. open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
2. go to File - Open and navigate to

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open.
4. The file is opened. You will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like

0.0.0.0 website.com
127.0.0.1 website2.com

Check for any entries with spotify or fastly in the address. Examples may look like:

0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com
0.0.0.0 prod.b.ssl.us-eu.fastlylb.net 

(and any variations inbetween)
5. If you do find any, you can delete the line. You can also add a # in front of the line, that's 'commenting out'.
6. Save your changes. Restart Spotify.

I've noticed the most common entry is "spclient.wg.spotify.com", but remove all Spotify ones.

Let me know how you get on 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I have this problem!!! It's not ALL searched songs though, but it seems to be a majority of them.  After I click on a song, it shows a blank grey album cover and no song title/info.  This happens on my Windows 7 and Windows 10 PCs.   EXCEPT: This isn't the case on my Android.  On my Android, I can seemingly play whatever song I search for.  In the meantime, I'm just finding new music on my android and adding it to my playlists so later it will somehow remember it on my PC and play it through the playlist.  Also, intermittently, my Discover Weekly playlist will be completely blank.  This happened 2 weeks in a row, and after I reinstalled spotify, it seems to be okay, but it's only been a week since then.

All songs stopped playing for me as well, tried reinstalling etc, but this solution is the only thing that helped me. Spotify works again, thanks.

I have this issue as well. Reinstalled Hosts File is fine Deleted cache The only quick solution I've found is deleting my folder of my user-profile in app data which makes it start working. I think its a caching issue. I subbed to premium at xmas and I think I'm gonna cancel cause this is just a poor show..

I Have this issue as well. If you add a song to it that wont play. It wont show up on the playlist.

Thanks!  Your solution works perfectly.  I just deleted everything in that hosts file, even the google-related hosts.

I was having the same problem as everyone else where songs were missing from my play queue or they were grayed out or details about them would be missing and they would not play period (see screenshot) and I was unable to add new songs that weren't already in a playlist or sometimes a playlist would just be missing a bunch of songs.

Editing the hosts file made the difference and everything seems to be working now. Thanks Sebasty!

2019-02-18 - spotify issue.png

Suggested posts