How can i see what my friends are listening to?

How can i see what my friends are listening to?

Swonko

Since the latest update im not able to see what my friends are listening to.. This is one of the features i really liked about spotify, because you did get a lot of suggestions on new music through that.

So is there a way to get the friends activity show up in the "activity tab" ?

20 Replies

Novy

Hey folks!

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community.

It's now possible to see what your friends are listening to with Friend Activity. 

Keep in mind that this is only available on the desktop app. You'll find more info about it here

If anything else comes up, don't hesitate to let us know. 

Cheers.

NovyModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

georgepaul
Casual Listener

friendsongs.com try this site out

georgepaul
Casual Listener
friendsongs.com

KelseyO14

If you widden your browser more it should show up in th exact same place it was before. I had this problem and I relized it after a month of having this problem.  Hope this helps all of you!

mheater1
Regular

I want to know how we see more then what 1 friend is listening to.  Or even how we change which friend is showing in our friend feed.  Right now I can only see what 1 person is listening to...How do I add more or change the person showing?

aramtch

This is the exact issue I'm having... did you ever find the solution to it? Thanks.

HGERST

Agreed! I cant seem to view what friend are listening to with the upodate. (I use chrome os)

wenchilada

But I really *liked* being able to see what my friends were listening to! It was an excellent way to explore music. I like the update, but I am really disappointed that the social aspect of Spotify's disappeared. Please bring the sidebar with my friends in it back, I have a sad.

Quent17

Hi,

Same problem for me. I not able to see what my friends are listening. Moreover , the friend tab on the top left disapeared. 

How can i solve this ?

EDIT : in fact I can only see a few friends. Much less than before.

Peter__
Community Legend

Hey guys 🙂 

If you are using the most recent version of Spotify (v0.8.8) then you should be aware there have been some changes to the social system. 

Now instead of getting activity from all of your Facebook friends in the feed, you only get the activity of the people, artists or playlists which you Follow. You can manage who you follow from the new Follow tab on the left side of the client, or by using the corresponding buttons on any supported page. At current there is not way to show all of your Facebook friend activity in the new client without following them all. The "Favourites" functionality has also been removed.

You might be interested in adding your kudos to these three ideas topics:

Go back to the old activity feed

Favourite functionality in the activity feed

Allow greater control over content displayed

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

OliverJenbo

Hello Peter, i can only see what one of my friends are listening to.. even though I follow multiple, there is one specific i would like to follow (sounds pretty stalkerish) but it's my girlfriend, and i've made her a playlist.. so i'm adding the songs she likes so that we can listen to them together when we see eachother..

How come i can't see what she listens to even though i follow her?

roders

this is really disapointing 😞 was it due to facebook terms and agreements, or just spotify's decision?  i thought it was a really neat feature.

user-removed
Not applicable

Peter__
Community Legend

You can still search for your friends who don't use Facebook using the spotify:user:<username> syntax in the main search box to find their profile. Once you find it, you can follow them by pressing the follow button.

Peter

Peter

gazpoz
Casual Listener

Yes, but the Spotify usernames are not always easy to guess and the main problem is if you had many friends.

You have to remember which ones you had and contact them for their exact usernames again.

I do not understand the underlaying reasons from the Spotify developers to remove them in the new version.

I reverted back to the old version and will keep it until these things are solved.

Reg. Gazza

aloha123
Casual Listener

gazpoz-

How did you revert back to old version?

thanks

Peter__
Community Legend

@aloha123 wrote:

gazpoz-

How did you revert back to old version?

thanks

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Have a read at this post for unofficial instructions on how to roll back and prevent the client from auto-updating.

Peter

Peter

user-removed
Not applicable

gazpoz
Casual Listener

Hi,

I'm also disapointed. This was one of the coolest features and I really miss it.

I also lost most (all?) of my Spotify friends (not linked to Facebook) which is also anoying.

Gazza

Liam
Community Legend

Can you not see what they're listening to on the sidebar in the new client?

I can at least.

Liam

SUGGESTED POSTS