Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do I completely uninstall spotify?

Solved!

How do I completely uninstall spotify?

I used the control panel unistall but it keeps poping up, I asking this because when I'm playing high graphic games, (league of legends, minecraft etc.) I randomly get a black screen, and I'm thinking its because of this, (my graphics card is really bad)

102 Replies

I cant open or uninstall Spotify! It says I may have the inappropriate permissions to access it even though I am the admin for my computer. When I try and uninstall it it tells me to contact my system admin but I AM ADMIN and there is only one account.

@Grayson wrote:

Hey there MisterMark!

Here is how to uninstall Spotify:

"Uninstall Spotify: (Start > Control Panel > Programs / Uninstall a Program > Spotify)"

I beleive you were removing the shortcut and not the application it's self. Feel free to reply to this thread with any additional questions you may have!

-Grayson 😃

@Grayson wrote:

Hey there MisterMark!

"Uninstall Spotify: (Start > Control Panel > Programs / Uninstall a Program > Spotify)"

I beleive you were removing the shortcut and not the application it's self. Feel free to reply to this thread with any additional questions you may have!

-Grayson 😃

@Grayson wrote:

Hey there MisterMark!

-Grayson 😃

@Grayson wrote:

Hey there MisterMark!

-Grayson 😃

Please help, Thanks

Ok, I've just come across this same problem and its appears to be a flaw in the way the Spotify application is written, After a little investigation here’s what I found and hopefully help people 

The Spotify installation creates firewall rules in the Windows Firewall if you use it, it creates a lot of registry entries. So if you just delete the files, as is recommended by some of the earlier posters, you are left with all this configuration that should be undone when you uninstall the software

And for some reason, I guess a what could be considered to be a mistake in how the application has been written. It doesn't use the standard UAC process to elevate privileges when you try to uninstall the software, we’ll find out why shortly.

Other users have advised that you log on as an administrator so you can uninstall as an administrator. However, if you are following Microsoft’s current recommended practice and your user account is not an administrator but a standard user and there is a separate user account on the machine which has administrator rights on the machine it won't be visible in the administrator user’s account's profile and this won't work. So if this is the case you have no way of running the uninstall process as an administrator through the control panel programs and features applet.

The installation path for Spotify application is: C:\Users\bob\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Spotify.exe

So for people who have a user account which is a standard user account and a separate account with administrator privileges the following may interest you. 

I had a search through the registry and found the uninstall string which is located within the HKey_users section of the registry, which explains why the administrator can't see the program is installed as it won't be visible to the administrator and therefore can't uninstall it. The uninstall string which is

"C:\Users\bob\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Spotify.exe" /uninstall

So you think, great I can now uninstall this, I'll open up a command prompt as an administrator and I'll run the uninstall string, that will fix it. Well, this won't work because when you run uninstall as above it will try to uninstall the software from the user account which has administrative privileges. It will ask you if you want to uninstall Spotify but won't do anything to the account which you want to uninstall spotify from. Kind of annoying.....

So the solution to the problem is to temporarily, now don't forget that...... temporarily make your user account an administrator. 

By temporarily making my account a member of the administrators group I was able to uninstall the Spotify using an elevated command prompt and the uninstall string above. 

I’m not going to provide any steps on how to do this, if you have the knowledge then you will know what to do. Maybe Spotify could provide a set of steps which details this and they can take responsibility for it as it is the way they have written the program which makes it very difficult to uninstall the software of you are following Microsoft’s current recommended practice related to running your day to day users account as a standard user.

can I just say that not providing an uninstaller is absolutely dispicable? thanks

So, I'm in Windows too (v.10), where is this "Finder"? I need to uninstall Spotify completely and reinstall like new, because is not working. Every song is "This song is not availale....", so how do I uninstal completelly? I have Spotify in a iPhone, and another two Windows 10 and 8 and they are working great. I have Premium account and use every installation without prolem, just in my laptop that suddenly stopped working and even when I uninstall and reinstall is doing the same not available thing.

I am going to uninstall Spotify for the second and last time. The first time it worked fine for a few weeks and then, when it asked me to sign in, it repeatedly denied entry due to "incorrect password", so, I uninstalled and a week or so later I reinstalled with new password. After about a week the same thing happened again and I couldn't access my Premim account. Life is too short and I have unlimited music options. Too bad though, I liked the Spotify format but don't like doing business with any entity I can't contact directly. Bye, bye Spotify!

Hi,

It's not letting me type me password when i get to the Terminal part? ANy chance you know what to do?

Thanks!

I am really confused where is finder is it on my computer or somewhere else ??

This does not work...

Ive went to Control Panel and went to Apps and Features, went to uninstall Spotify I click Uninstall, then Yes when it says, "Do you want to allow this application to make changes on your device?" And when I do that, NOTHING HAPPENS! It just shows the loading icon on my cursor and then it disappears and nothing happens. I NEED HELP! AND I AM GETTING SO IMPATIENT!!!

It doesn't work

But it ain't showing any dialog box for uninstalling. When I click on uninstall in the control panel, it just loads for 2 seconds and then nothing. Please tell me what to do?

THIS DOESN'T WORK

Marked as solution

Delete %APPDATA%\Spotify

I also deleted AppData\Local\Spotify for good measure.

Download the Installer from Website and install again.

Worked for me on Windows 10 (1703 aka Creators Update)

Build: 15063.296

Marked as solution

Hey, just went through the same issue as you- hopefully this will help anyone else looking to uninstall the desktop version of Spotify, on Windows.

First of all- if you use the control panel to try and uninstall it, and it doesn't go away, it might be the 'webHelper' application holding you back. You can use the Task Manager on your computer to end this background application, by using Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard, and scroll down until you see 'SpotifyWebHelper' application- select it, end the task- and proceed to uninstall Spotify. 

If the above doesn't work, try this alternatively:

>>> First- go into the folder where Spotify is installed- usually this is: C:\Users\<user>\AppData(This is a hidden folder)\Roaming\Spotify

>>> Delete all the files there, (if you haven't stopped the webHelper application, it won't allow you to delete the webHelper file, just follow the instructions above!)

>>> Proceed with the uninstall steps as usual- it will say something along the lines of "This program has already been uninstalled, do you want to remove it from your Programs and Applications list?" Click yes, and it should be gone for good.

Hopefully this helps anyone who has gone through the same frustrations as me.

Cheers,

B

Same thing happened for me- look below at my answer, see if it works for you.

Yep this worked for me, thanks.

i went to programs and features but it will not unistall even there. i removed it from the registry alsobut wheni start the laptop it still popsup onstartup every time !

this did not work. I took it out of programs and features, went to the regedit and removed it from the registry completely, and yet when i start windows , it still pops up and loads. it is  hif=ding in there somewhere and is not gone ,but i cant find it anywhere.

I have tried everything, and tried to follow all the steps from above, yet my spotify still wont be removed? what do i do?

I click "uninstall" and all that stuff comes up and i click "yes" and it just loads and stops. it doesnt remove it and i have no idea how to remove it then... I want to remove it, because my spotify has been offline for weeks even though i have full internet connection and maybe by uninstalling it and then reinstalling it again helps, but i dont know... I have also tried to make a new account but it wont sign in at all from the app on my computer, only the one on my phone.

I dont know if i make much sense, i just want it to uninstall but i dont know how.

Suggested posts