Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do I completely uninstall spotify?

Solved!

How do I completely uninstall spotify?

I used the control panel unistall but it keeps poping up, I asking this because when I'm playing high graphic games, (league of legends, minecraft etc.) I randomly get a black screen, and I'm thinking its because of this, (my graphics card is really bad)

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there MisterMark!

Here is how to uninstall Spotify:

"Uninstall Spotify: (Start > Control Panel > Programs / Uninstall a Program > Spotify)"

I beleive you were removing the shortcut and not the application it's self. Feel free to reply to this thread with any additional questions you may have!

-Grayson 😃

-----------------------------------------------------------
Remember here in the community we can't assist with most account-related issues. Submit a support form and awesome support agents will assist ASAP: http://spoti.fi/pjlOST

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hey again mistermark.

I did some research on your query and discovered you must be signed into the Administrator of the Computer to uninstall spotify. If you are infact logged into the account, then Right Click "Windows Explorer" aka Control Panel, and select "Run as Administrator" and then go through the installation process.

Cheers -Grayson

Remember here in the community we can't assist with most account-related issues. Submit a support form and awesome support agents will assist ASAP: http://spoti.fi/pjlOST

Marked as solution

I knew other people would be having a problem with this.

Windows 7:

Click the start button, type "%appdata%" into it without the quotation marks.

Delete the folder marked spotify

If it says that spotify is open, then right click spotify on the taskbar and click quit spotify.

Hope this helps.

Marked as solution

@confusedme Hey! Follow @MattSuda 's steps on how to uninstall Spotify. Hopefully you'll reinstall it too.

1. Open Finder then click Go > Library in the menu bar. (You may need to hold the Alt key if Library isn’t visible).
  2. Open Caches and delete the com.spotify.Client folder.
  3. Click the back arrow.
  4. Open Application Support and delete the Spotify folder.
  5. Go to http://www.spotify.com/download and reinstall Spotify.

Ace!

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

My Profile!//Currently Cool Playlist

If I helped you or made you laugh or just was awesome, Kudo me?
If I gave you a solution, then click that 'Accept as Solution' button!

Marked as solution

Delete %APPDATA%\Spotify

I also deleted AppData\Local\Spotify for good measure.

Download the Installer from Website and install again.

Worked for me on Windows 10 (1703 aka Creators Update)

Build: 15063.296

Marked as solution

Hey, just went through the same issue as you- hopefully this will help anyone else looking to uninstall the desktop version of Spotify, on Windows.

First of all- if you use the control panel to try and uninstall it, and it doesn't go away, it might be the 'webHelper' application holding you back. You can use the Task Manager on your computer to end this background application, by using Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard, and scroll down until you see 'SpotifyWebHelper' application- select it, end the task- and proceed to uninstall Spotify. 

If the above doesn't work, try this alternatively:

>>> First- go into the folder where Spotify is installed- usually this is: C:\Users\<user>\AppData(This is a hidden folder)\Roaming\Spotify

>>> Delete all the files there, (if you haven't stopped the webHelper application, it won't allow you to delete the webHelper file, just follow the instructions above!)

>>> Proceed with the uninstall steps as usual- it will say something along the lines of "This program has already been uninstalled, do you want to remove it from your Programs and Applications list?" Click yes, and it should be gone for good.

Hopefully this helps anyone who has gone through the same frustrations as me.

Cheers,

B

Marked as solution

i did what you said, and it seems to be gone. but ill know better when i restatrt windows agian ! will let you know ! thanks !

Marked as solution

In Win-7 tried 10 times in Control Panel clicking on the Uninstall bar up top. Finally, I right-clicked on Spotify in Control Panel and this time it asked for uninstall confirmation, clicked OK, then it was uninstalled. Not sure why, but happy.

102 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey there MisterMark!

Here is how to uninstall Spotify:

"Uninstall Spotify: (Start > Control Panel > Programs / Uninstall a Program > Spotify)"

I beleive you were removing the shortcut and not the application it's self. Feel free to reply to this thread with any additional questions you may have!

-Grayson 😃

Yes I did that and it still keeps popping up, 

Marked as solution

Hey again mistermark.

I did some research on your query and discovered you must be signed into the Administrator of the Computer to uninstall spotify. If you are infact logged into the account, then Right Click "Windows Explorer" aka Control Panel, and select "Run as Administrator" and then go through the installation process.

Cheers -Grayson

If it doesn't appear on the Programs list , you can just do a search on your computer and delete it there.

For me it was under C:\ Users\yourname\appdata\roaming\spotify

Just delete it

how do you uninstall on macs?

System Preferences

Users & Groups

Click on your admin account, click on the padlock to make changes, click on login items, click on Spotify, click on the "-" (minus) button below to remove this from the list of apps that start up when you log into your Mac.

Click on your Desktop, click "Go" at the top of the screen, click on "Applications".  Drag Spotify to the trash.

Scroll down to Utilities and double-click "Terminal".

Copy and paste the following, it will ask for your admin password:

"sudo rm -R Library/Caches/com.spotify.client" <- Press return & type in your admin password
"sudo rm -R Library/Caches/com.spotify.danstaller" <- Press return & type in your admin password

Should be all gone

When I installed the newer version of spotify, the next day I got a notice saying: Unable to apply rule and all these words pop after and When I try to exit it, it won't work it will pop up unable to apply rule and a new set of words pop up.

i cant get rid of spotify at all!

it is NOT in my list of programs via control panel, or by using revo uninstaller. i cant find evidence of it in "about:config" in my firefox browser. and in fact even spotify has NO info on how to uninstall it from my browserr. and when iused the search function on the help web page, it would only give me advice on RE-installing! i am very fed up with it and wont be using it again.

spotify NEED to understand this: by using dodgy distribution/promotion companies who bundle your software by "stealth" into other installer, you are gaining a BAD reputation. and i am REALLY unhappy about this, i can tell you!

ok back to my issue.

i have win 7

firefox 20.0.1

and suddenly have an unasked for spotify web player install in my browser!

there are NO folders for it in programs list,

and no files i can spot inside firefox folder

and nothing that is obvious to me in "about:config"

WHAT do i do? i do hold spotify responsible for this as it was not me who asked a dodgy installer bundling company to install it. so i EXEPECT some help here.

it may be worth mentioning too, that when i was looking in "about:config" i discovered items relating to babylon.com which are dodgy a**holes. so am guessing that whatever they relate to was installed by stealth too at same time.

i say by stealth as i am very vigilant at reading installers very carefully to make sure i dont get any of this rubbish when i install anything.

SO ANY HELP? now? please?

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

The web player does not install itself on your computer if you are accessing it through play.spotify.com it is just like any other website, but it allows you to log in and stream Spotify from inside your web browser. 

Would you be able to provide a screenshot where you are seeing Spotify? If it is just a bookmark you can just delete it. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Marked as solution

I knew other people would be having a problem with this.

Windows 7:

Click the start button, type "%appdata%" into it without the quotation marks.

Delete the folder marked spotify

If it says that spotify is open, then right click spotify on the taskbar and click quit spotify.

Hope this helps.

i am still getting this issue, but with a browser help device embedded on my firefox browser that i DIDNT ask for!!!

and there is NOWHERE to get rid of it!!! NO WHERE!

and now i am getting spotify login page appearing everytime i bring a webpage up. instead of the page i type in my browser url field, i get the spotify login page, EVEN THOUGH I HAVE NEVER REGISTERED or even used spotify. and dont need to anyhow.

the control panel option dosnt work for me because of that, and none of the spotify support were at all interested in helping me whejn i posted a similar request as yours a few weeks back. now i have an embedded device (with spotify logo on it) called "spotify web player) that i didnt want, and getting their page popping up as though its a hijacker home-page!!!!

and i am finding not a trace of it in "about:config:, unless its using a "stealth" name

@womble wrote:

i am still getting this issue, but with a browser help device embedded on my firefox browser that i DIDNT ask for!!!

and there is NOWHERE to get rid of it!!! NO WHERE!

and now i am getting spotify login page appearing everytime i bring a webpage up. instead of the page i type in my browser url field, i get the spotify login page, EVEN THOUGH I HAVE NEVER REGISTERED or even used spotify. and dont need to anyhow.

the control panel option dosnt work for me because of that, and none of the spotify support were at all interested in helping me whejn i posted a similar request as yours a few weeks back. now i have an embedded device (with spotify logo on it) called "spotify web player) that i didnt want, and getting their page popping up as though its a hijacker home-page!!!!

and i am finding not a trace of it in "about:config:, unless its using a "stealth" name

Would you be able to post a screenshot of what this Spotify window looks like? 

Peter

Peter

I had this problem and mentioned it in another post just this morning.  Only a clean reinstall of Firefox will solve this.  If you use the control panel to uninstall FF, go to ALL appdata folders [the are more than one, search for them if you have to] and delete anything named Firefox or Mozilla.  Their exact locations are dependent on the version of Windows you are using.

The embedded web player is really only a web page, but something in FF is requesting it to be opened, probably originated on Facebook.

Thank you for the description of the uninstall for Spotify on Mac OS X. I must admit that this is a very elaborate process as even the Spotify App is not visible under Applications. When such a process is that extensive it gives me a little the creeps as if this was designed to be difficult in order that regular non-IT-technicl people do not / can not uninstall. Something Spotify really should improve in order not to get a bad reputation.

App Delete works on a Mac.

I recently installed Spotify - however I noticed that the next time I logged on to my laptop some serious slow down in start up.

After deleting some old programs I noticed Spotify remained.

I've tried everything to remove Spotify but its resolutely embedded itself in my laptop, and it is without doubt Spotify that has slowed down my laptop.

It leaves me very suspicious of Spotify and what harm or spying it is doing.

Hi. Your suspicions are totally unfounded. If you want to uninstall the desktop client, just follow the instructions in this FAQ, omitting the final step.

Thank you Joe

I,ve followed steps and restarted laptop

But from powering on to sign in screen took several minutes which didn't happen before I installed Spotify

I logged on and again a long delay in laptop waiting for Spotify to intiliase even though I had just deleted it!

So i now have major slowing down of my laptop and Spotify seems embedded in laptop.

@d9dave - Are you trying to remove Spotify from the laptop completely or are you just having performance issues but you want to use the service? 

Peter

Peter

Suggested posts