Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do I completely uninstall spotify?

Solved!

How do I completely uninstall spotify?

I used the control panel unistall but it keeps poping up, I asking this because when I'm playing high graphic games, (league of legends, minecraft etc.) I randomly get a black screen, and I'm thinking its because of this, (my graphics card is really bad)

102 Replies

You are not alone, as this is a common problem. The only workable method in Windows to remove the Spotify app is to download a freeware app called Revo Uninstaller. Run the Scan feature and then it will properly uninstall all registry entries and Spotify files. The Spotify uninstall doesnt work, so dont bother with it. Revo Uninstaller can be found on the CNET Downloads website. Its very popular.
##- Please type your reply above line -##

Great! It has solved my problem! I recently started to have some DLL error when I tried to run Spotify after an automatic Windows update. Now I have successfully uninstalled and reinstalled Spotify, and I am listening to music on Spotify again! Thank you for sharing!

Someone installed Spotify on two of my computers. The HD on my laptop waas nearly full, so I decided to uninstall Spotify to gain a little space. What should have taken 90 seconds has overtaken my evening. After trying to uninstall it for almost an hour, I decided to get rid of it from all my computers and make sure it is NEVER installed again. Like metastatic lung cancer, this program is nearly impossible to remove. I hate spotify as much as I hate metastatic lung cancer.  But more than cancer, I hate the sociopathic spotify employee who decided to make this app impossible to uninstall. So, F you, and your F'd up desperate company. I will make sure to tell everyone I know that unless they want to infect their computer with a digital cancer, they must avoid spotify.

As an IT software/hardware analyst myself, and an ISO 9000 certified Quality Auditor,  I agree wholeheartedly. This app should have never been released to the public.  In fact, by its behavior, it qualifies as "malware", and does not meet Windows O/S standards, as it simply will NOT ever uninstall. Never.

So, don't waste anymore of your time Restarting and Uninstalling.  It will still be there behind the scenes.

I have successfully removed it with the highly rated freeware app Revo Uninstaller. I'm not keen on downloading and installing 3rd party programs, but in this case, I had no choice.  Ran the Scan option (see my prior posts),  and found hundreds of Spotify files and over 3300+ Windows registry entries left behind. After many unsuccessful attempts to Uninstall, which should be an easy task.

Makes me wonder if Spotify is a Russian malware company, or an NSA Black bag operation in disguise. Call me paranoid.

The bottom line is: THIS IS BEYOND UNACCEPTABLE IN THE 21st CENTURY. We need to let the IT media know about this, then maybe, just maybe, the Do-dos in Management at Spotify will figure out how to write an Uninstaller.   (Hint: They can run REVO, take notes, and write a DOS batch file, if they have to, it's that simple.)

Revo is exactly the program I used to rid myself of this nonsense.Nothing else I tried worked. I found the behavior of this program especially nefarious and like you, suspect there is a lot more to spotify then meets the eye. Althoughed I vowed never to retrun to this site, your response vindicated my anger and frustration. As I said, I made it my buisness to warn all others away from spotify...nothing good or positive can come from a program that inserts itself throughout your hard drive like metastatic small cell cancer.

Spotify stopped working and now I have over ten bars 'installing spotify' and 'aborting'' on my desktop, it's really annoying and slowing my computer down. So I completely uninstalled it and they are still there.

26972212_949247655242984_1954619106_o.jpg

Restart your computer, then google "REVO"  it is free for home use. That's what I usaed to rid myself of this malware

Did you ever get this **bleep** off? My daughter installed it on my laptop. I cannot get rid of this **bleep**. I ran into this problem before when I downloaded it, but I can't remember how I got it off. This is crazy!

Hi there,

I've got a Mac, I've got new DALI speakers, but I've only got spotify coming out of one speaker (the right).I also have a Bluetooth booster to play my phone through my soundsystem, but when I do that it only plays out the left speaker...

I completely uninstalled (as per the instructions) on both phone and laptop and just re-installed both but no joy. Really frustrating!  Please help!

Hi there,

I've got a Mac, I've got new DALI speakers, but I've only got spotify coming out of one speaker (the right).I also have a Bluetooth booster to play my phone through my soundsystem, but when I do that it only plays out the left speaker...

I completely uninstalled (as per the instructions) on both phone and laptop and just re-installed both but no joy. Really frustrating!  Please help!

Click "Uninstall" from control panel, nothing happens. Still annoyed with spotify login prompt when computer starts. (Maybe when you support Roku devices with Premium HD, I will reconsider.)

spotify.jpg

There are dozens of postings on a dozen threads on this forum on the uninstall issue. Suffice it to say the Windows UNINSTALLER doesn't work. Period. There are command line hacks that may help.
One solution that I'm certain, and many others are certain will also work, once and for all, is to download the FREEWARE app REVO UNINSTALLER from CNET which will remove it guaranteed. I have posted this several times and gotten positive feedback. I'm not affiliated in any way with REVO, nor do I like downloads, but this app rocks, and I've used it since on other apps.
Meanwhile, in spite of innumerable complaints, Spotify is still doing nothing to fix their UNINSTALLER, which is not difficult for any competent programmer to code.

The Windows 7 Unistaller does not work because YOU have not bothered to
supply it.

YOU must close programs, delete the directory structure, and remove the
registry keys (the reverse of what you did to install Spotify.)

NO ONE is going to do it for you. (I could, but I would rather you did it.)

For Windows 10, if you're using the standard windows 10 start menu, simply click the start menu, type Spotify, and your result will say Spotify trusted windows store install.  Right click that and choose Uninstall.  Right above it, it will say "Uninstalling Spotify"

I prefer the regular download over the store integration install.  I never had this automatically install on Windows until I installed it on my Xbox One X.  Now the Windows Store installs it automatically on all my windows 10 devices.  

The problem, though, is that you have not actually written the uninstall
code, so that the Uninstall option does nothing.

If the install program left its msiexec file on the hard drive, then the /x
parameter supplied on the msiexec command line would, in theory, delete the
registry keys rather than add them, however, no msiexec file exists after
the install.

So that Spotify.Exe is no longer in my Programs and Features list, I have
manually deleted the Spotify registry keys. I have eliminated the web helper
program from my startup and deleted the Spotify program directory.

Where do I find 'Application Support' for unistalling Spotify from iMac?  Thanks

If you looked in control panel to unistall it is not there. Where the *** dod you get your info from?

Windows store apps install differently than the standard exe or MSU installation.  The directory the Windows Store installs to is encrypted and security denies access to those few apps that aren’t.  Unless you boot from another install, you can’t browse to delete the exe, which isnt am exe with Windows store, but some form of extension of the Windows store itself.  

Worse case, download IOBit Uninstaller and use that.  When it’s done, choose the powerful scan and it’ll remove any remnants of any version installed. 

Mac OSX, since Lion, has the Library folder hidden. To show it, hold Option key and select Go > Library, or open Terminal and type:

chflags nohidden ~/Library

To go to the folder you need, select Go > Go to Folder and type ~/Library/Application Support/ and locate Spotify

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to unsinstall the program, as there is nothing on the AppData folder. Neither in Local nor in Roaming.

It isn't listed in control pannel and it doesn't appear in my progam list, BUT it does appear as installed in Windows store, so I can't reinstall, update or modify Spotify. ¬¬

Can somebody help, please?

Suggested posts