Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do I open links in DESKTOP APP ONLY?

How do I open links in DESKTOP APP ONLY?

I never, ever want to listen in the web player. 

It looks like the only methods I'm seeing are going to web player settings, but they don't exist anymore. How else now?

7 Replies

Hey @Trstn

You can try going to the desktop client's Preferences, open the Advanced Settings and turn on the 'Allow Spotify to be opened from web'.

Alternatively, you can copy the http link and paste it in the search bar, the client will open the playlist/album/whatever needed. 🙂

Let me know if you have more questions about it!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

No, that does not work. It's already set as that, and I tried with that setting turned off. Neither work. 

And no I don't want to paste links into the search bar, I want to have songs automatically open in the desktop app. 

@Trstn

You can also try deleting your browser cookies and cache, and then try again.
Deleting just spotify cookies should be sufficient.

SebastySpotify Star

Did not work. 

Still opened up in chrome, only difference is I'm logged out of Spotify Web now. 

@Trstn

Alright, let's try this:

reinstall the Spotify app using this article as a guide.
Then make sure you've set to allow Spotify to be opened from the web, and delete your browser's cookie+cache again.

Let me know if that had any success! 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

Hey @Trstn,

We appreciate you reaching out about this.

After talking to the devs, it seems that this is expected behaviour currently. We'll pass on the feedback about this, and we'd suggest having the desktop app open at the same time as clicking Spotify links on the web. 

Thanks!

"After talking to the devs, it seems that this is expected behaviour currently. "

10/10

It'd be cool to somehow update search results on this, as they all show Spotify's instructions to use the (now non-existent) settings button in the web player. 

I guess we should expect this behaviour though. 

Suggested posts