Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to get rid of foreign language songs in my discovery weekly?

How to get rid of foreign language songs in my discovery weekly?

I have been getting 5-10 songs in languages I don't understand for the last couple of months in my discover weekly. I listen to Russian and English songs but these songs are in some weird languages that I don't recognize. How do I get rid of them?

11 Replies

Hey @sillyduck!

Welcome to the Spotify Community.

The Discover Weekly playlist gets updated based on how frequently you stream music as well as your listening habits. Saving more of your favorite tunes and adding them to playlists should teach the app about your music tastes a lot better.

Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any other questions for us.

Maria_BModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence in between.” – Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

@Maria_B wrote:

Hey @sillyduck!

The Discover Weekly playlist gets updated based on how frequently you stream music as well as your listening habits. Saving more of your favorite tunes and adding them to playlists should teach the app about your music tastes a lot better.

The thing is I have a lot of saved songs and listen to a lot of songs and none of them and I mean NONE of them are in that language. So I don't know why they are in my discover weekly. I have stopped listening to my discovery weekly because of this.

@Maria_B wrote:

Hey @sillyduck!

Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any other questions for us.

Hi

I'm sorry but your theory is incorrect. I listen to weekly Discover (every week) and skip songs in foreign languages. I save between 5-12 songs per week only in English language and play those songs dozens of times. Any songs that start playing (with the newish feature by Spotify to play similar suggested songs) that are foreign language I "thumbs down" and have been doing this for months.

After all of that Spotify will still throw a dozen or more foreign songs at me in a hour of listening, and rejecting foreign songs.

So although I think Spotify's discoverer algorithm is very good I believe it not coded with language cohort tracking, as it simply doesn't learn that i do not like foreign language songs.

Let’s get this posted as a development suggestion please!

I concur with this reply. I only want to hear what artists have to say and understand it not have to use Google translate to find out the lyrics...

This happens to me as well. I have never listened to songs in German, Spanish, or any other language than English and it plays them several times a day in my Discover weekly. It would be nice if there was a way to say only English or specific languages you specify.

I'm having this same problem.  I'm getting songs that I think are in Danish???  I'm certain I've never done any searches for Danish songs or added them to my playlists.  I have absolutely loved the dsicover weekly playlists in the past, but now about a third of my list is coming back in this foreign language...  Is there any help available for this yet?

I have this problem.  I do have Spanish songs as well as English in my playlists.  This does not mean I am a polyglot who will love abundant quantities of French, German etc in my Discover Weekly.  It seems really patronising to bundle languages in this absurd way - I though spotify was a cool tech-savvy company with smart algos, but this is a fail at the 101 level, surely?  Is it a Swedish thing that 'everything is foreign'?

My account had been hacked, i was getting all spanish songs on my Discover Weekly until i contacted Spotify who completley reset my account. 

Yes, this is so annoying! My Discover Weekly and other recommendations contain songs in other languages. How do I stop these songs? Maybe add a language preference so that I can only get songs in the language that I select? At any rate, none of the music I have saved in my playlists or have listened to historically are anywhere close to any of this stuff.

Hi MJ, i am a foreigner living in Turkey. I am so not into Turkish music, but from my browser, new releases, discover weekly, to recommendations are full of Turkish music. I think spotify should consider the fact that not everyone living in a certain country is a native or particularly likes local music, and i am a premium user at that so its kinda annoying if i have to listen to musics i dont like and i have to skip so many time making me question if i am really a premium user. is there any chance i could change this? like seriously.

Suggested posts