Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Huge CPU Usage - any reaction from Spotify?

Solved!

Huge CPU Usage - any reaction from Spotify?

Hey, guys, I have my CPU running hot as vulcano!

100% busy when Spotify is on.

Does anybody know where to get the version which is stable and does not take up all CPU to itself? Although memory usage is ok at ~40MB.

My system is Windows 7, 32 bits.

I've been looking for any reaction from Spotify team, but could not find anything.

43 Replies

I am getting skeptical! How do we know that our 100% CPU usage is not being used for some kind of advertising campaigns? I can run iHeart  radio with 12% - 15% steady CPU. When I run Spotify, there are always 3 Spotify processes running, not just one. 

Spotify?

Just resubscribe back to Spotify Premium after stopping using it for 1 years on Linux,

Now the client still .... meh ...

I hope you dont die like Rdio since Apple Music released with better price , should I move away and ask for refund ?

Even firefox with Youtube running didnt use that much processing power.

Screenshot from 2016-01-02 18:21:27.png

same probem. my quad core mbp is buring on my lap today until i notice the 100% CPU usage of Sptify Helper !

They gotta fix it quick I hope !

Common Spotify ! This is ridiculous !

Almost 5 years now since this problem first appeared: would you finally update your underlying chrome app that you use as a native wrapper and FINALLY FIX THIS PROBLEM FOR GOOD !!!!

COMMON !!! People get constant HUGE FAN NOISE, DRAINED BATTERIES & BAD PERFORMANCE because you guys CAN'T SEEM TO COME AROUND TO FINALLY FIX THIS PROBLEM AT THE ROOT !!!

I have the same issue on surface pro with i5. Noticed that this thing was running hot, and I thought what a **bleep** product from Microsoft. Then I checked the processes and noticed spotify taking 50 % of CPU. Has this been fixed in any way? Why is spotify so CPU intensive on windows 10?

Paying every month and still having an ad is already not honest.
Having an ad programmed like **bleep**, slowing down the whole machine is soiling your brand by yourself. Stop assuming people have supercomputers and hire engineers, not interns. I have a quadcore i7 and it's consuming 30% CPU more in the main menu.

Cordially,
A user who lost time to solve your issue by himself

Guys, I think it's better if we start a new topic. This one here as been marked as "solved" for whatever reason.

unchecking view . friend feed took me from 100% CPU utilization to like between 4 and 12%

that was incredible. 

and yes, my system is old and decrepid but like, c'mon spotify, you can read my system specs and adjust accordingly, can'tcha?

my shift key doesn't even work hence no caps.

i'd "like" my own post if i could

it's the gin

Unfollow friends may help a little but what I have found is that if you close out the ad windows it drops the cpu to around 1-3%, ad windows for some reason use 20-60% of cpu for me which is dumb.

Wanted to post for MacOS Sierra users, recently I've been seeing increased CPU load and the computer chugging a bit during Spotify usage. 

Moved to 'Private Session' which I assume stops some sharing tasks, anyways dropped my SpotifyHelper process from 34% -> 3% and my Spotify app process from 10.x -> 1.8% ish, and they are staying low. 

I don't have a use for sharing so all of my data may as well be private. Someone else might want to investigate though. 

Cheers

Thank you so much. I was having a similar problem, and this completely solved it.

Same problem here. 

Switching over to Private solved it. (Spotify CPU usage is now <3% down from 97%)

It would be awesome if Spotify allowed permanent private mode, as not all users are social (media) butterflies and want to have everything shared. Furthermore, I'm considering switching over to Apple music unless Private mode can be turned on permanently. 

Just my two cents on this topic.

I'm running Windows 10 with 8GB RAM, Quad-core processor.

I found the issue because my music kept skipping.  Not only that, but my computer would basically freeze/skip for 1 second.  This started happening over and over, about once every 10-20 seconds.  Often my task manager would either show things as mostly fine or that disk/RAM was maxed out.

I did a ton of research on what could be eating up all the resources and causing the "skipping".  Many people pointed to Windows Search services and such.  Tried disabling those and the issue continued.  Finally got tired of my music skipping and uninstalled Spotify.  Surprise!  My computer hasn't frozen/skipped since!

I did not have any issues over the last week or two while the Spotify desktop app was uninstalled.  It started to get a bit too quiet today, so I downloaded Spotify again and immediately hopped onto the Community to try other things.  At this point, I've disabled about everything in Preferences (including local files, friends list, etc.), disconnected from FB, and turned on Private Mode.  Though the problem has gotten a bit better, I still notice it happening slightly.  This points to just the Spotify software itself.

Spotify, please fix this as my desktop is the main way I listen to music and I'm now uninstalling again, being forced to listen via the web interface (not preferred).

Whatever you've done to your software in the last couple months has just killed my computer.  I love your service, but am contemplating getting rid of it as my main source of playing has become unusable.

Worst-case senario, create/release a "light" desktop app version of Spotify where all it does is have your playlists, search ability, and play music (the basics - no social, no ads for paid version of course, no "lastest music updates", no suggestions).

- Foz

So I was having this issue too, though my CPU usage was only ~15% (still enough to make my fan run loud), and I just found an interesting fix.  I just downloaded the spotify program on this PC the other day and I just now went into preferences and saw that "high quality streaming" was not enabled (I'm a premium user).  After enabling it and skipping to the next song CPU usage instantly dropped to about 1%.  Verrry interesting.

Could spotify be actively down-sampling music for non-premium users?  Though I guess it could just be that I was getting a high rez feed since I'm a premium user and in my case it was down-sampling.  Could go either way.

Two days and running strong now.  After uninstalling the application twice, I decided to install it one last time and try turning off the "Local Files/iTunes/Windows Media/etc." options.  I had refused to do this for a while, as I have some local files I like and couldn't imagine that would cause such a large resource issue.

So I don't know if the Spotify desktop app CONSTANTLY searches for local files to cause a resource drain like that or what, but it should definitely be fixed.  I used the web interface for a while and hated it.  It wouldn't update what was playing and therefore I couldn't pause my music and a bunch of other things.  I was close to just dropping Spotify all-together until they get their stuff together.  But glad I took this final leap of faith.  Hopefully from here on out, things improve.

So for those still looking for a fix to songs skipping, computer slugging, etc., try disabling all "Local music file" options in the app's settings.  Worked for me so far!

Let me declare a second anniversary of 100% sportify cpu usage bug/issue in OSX. 

Im using the top-line 2015 15'mbp. For me, its the Spotify app, not Spotify helper this time. 

Whenever i hear my fan spinning, i know its spotify again. I will force quit it. 

I read from another post: You need to TURN OFF both CrossFading and the same volume level thing 

My CrossFading was off, now I also turned off the volumn sync setting. 

Lets see what happens. 

Today i have notced that Spotify app is using ~60% of my CPU, causing some games unplayable, even when app is only open, and not playing any music. So i searched for solutions and i have done all from this thread: Turning of any sources, turning off acceleratrion, turning off volume level, moving to private session. My app isn`t connected witch facebook. Nothing helped. What to do? Because of music app my computer is unuseable...

Sine last post i spent some time still searching for solution. Trying different combinations of turned on/off options. No positive result. Spotify App still uses 60% of CPU. I can`t listen to music and do anything else, because vents goes crazy and computer starts lagging and freezing. Seriously, WHAT TO DO?!

For me, I just no longer use spotify cuz I can't afford this much cpu dedicated for Spotify. Something is not right if it takes that much cpu. Maybe they can use .net core technology and optimize their software 

Suggested posts