Free

Country

Argentina

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Hi, since yesterday i couldn't play any song, and the playlists are "empty" but it's just not working for me, for my friends the playlists that I want to listen have songs.

I tried uninstalling spotify and trying spotify web player (in this case the playlists have song but still doesn't play, I click on play and nothing happens) I literaly can't play anything at all... please help

Spotify1.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey, @elusiveG

This same issue has happened to me but, there is a quick solution. Carefully follow the steps below. If this helped you, please mark it as the solution to help others.

1. Open the Notepad app

2. At the top left, click File

3. On the left panel, click on Windows under "This PC". After you're in this tab, click on the Windows folder. Scroll down to another folder called "System32".

4. In "System32", locate the "drivers" folder and click on the "etc" folder.

5. It will look empty when you first open it. Click on the File Type options and choose "All Files"

6. You can now see "hosts". Click on hosts and remove any # that includes the word "Spotify"

7. After you delete all the tags with Spotify, save the file and restart your Spotify.

- Dylan

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Hi @elusiveG,

Welcome to the Community!

The issue you're currently having seems to be under investigation.

I recommend you to add your vote and details here so you can have information about further updates.

Thanks 🙂

I have exactly the same problem.. empty playlist and can't play any song on web or app. I bought premium but didn't change anything. 

Works on my iPhone

EDIT: just follow the link here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Playlists-appear-empty-on-desktop-app/idi-p/4680137 (the link from @brunelicia) on the "status" update just follow instuctions and thats work 100%. The line in the hosts file is the problem, find the file, delete the line and spotify works again, thanks!

Marked as solution

Hey, @elusiveG

This same issue has happened to me but, there is a quick solution. Carefully follow the steps below. If this helped you, please mark it as the solution to help others.

1. Open the Notepad app

2. At the top left, click File

3. On the left panel, click on Windows under "This PC". After you're in this tab, click on the Windows folder. Scroll down to another folder called "System32".

4. In "System32", locate the "drivers" folder and click on the "etc" folder.

5. It will look empty when you first open it. Click on the File Type options and choose "All Files"

6. You can now see "hosts". Click on hosts and remove any # that includes the word "Spotify"

7. After you delete all the tags with Spotify, save the file and restart your Spotify.

- Dylan

@Leaf- I have to delete just the "#" symbol? or all the paragraphs?

spotify3.png
spotify3.png

You would have to remove the whole line/sentence

Do not remove a whole paragraph due to the fact that not all of the lines are connected to Spotify. Only remove the lines marked with "Spotify"

-Dylan

Ok good, but there's another problem, I don't have the permission to change it

spotify4.png
spotify4.png

You would have to get the administrator of your desktop to approve it on their account.

Apologies, this might be the only solution for the problem right now if you cannot get the administrator's approval.

-Dylan

No, I changed it and now I could save it and it worked, thank you, I'll pin it as a solution.

Suggested posts