Premium

Country

USA

Device

Windows PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Hello, I have the spotify desktop client for PC, and unfortunately I cannot play any songs nor can I view my saved albums/artists/songs. I've tried reinstalling three times, restarting my computer twice, relogging in, disabling high-quality music,  and disabling hardware acceleration, but nothing has worked so far.

Some additional context: Spotify web player doesn’t play songs either, but I’m able to view artists/albums/songs etc. Spotify works perfectly well on my iPhone however.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @Vox_Lunae 

Can you try the following steps:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them.
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify.

Hope that solves the issue! Let me know if you have further questions. There is also an open issue about this here where you can track it and vote for it so it catches more attention. I hope this will get fixed on Spotify's end soon.

Have a nice day 🙂

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Hey there @Vox_Lunae,

thanks for posting in the community !

As you mantioned that your account works perfectly on you mobile device (thanks for the important detail) this puts our focus on you PC.

Please run your Win update feature yo make sure your system is fully updated.

On top of that, i'd suggest checking your audio drivers as well.

In addition, make sure Spotify isn't being blocked by your system's firewall or anti-virus softwares and has all permissions to operate.

Let me know how you did 😃

@

Thank you for your response. Unfortuntely, I tried all the things you mentioned (updating windows, checking my firewall, and updating my sound drivers) and none of those seemed to work. 

Marked as solution

Hey @Vox_Lunae 

Can you try the following steps:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them.
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify.

Hope that solves the issue! Let me know if you have further questions. There is also an open issue about this here where you can track it and vote for it so it catches more attention. I hope this will get fixed on Spotify's end soon.

Have a nice day 🙂

@

This worked! Thank you so much!!

@vox_Lenae

You are welcome. Keep rocking!

Worked!

Choose no proxy on Spotify, and then restart Spotify it worked for me try it and see if it worked 🤗😉

What if i do not have anything related to spotify in the file, and it still won't play?
It does on my PC, phone etc, but not my laptop

Hi @karaon!

In that case the issue could be related to your laptop's sound settings. I'd recommend checking if the correct default device is set for the Spotify app:

1. Start Spotify and make sure it's running in the background.
  2. Right-click the "speaker" icon in the bottom right corner > Open Sound settings.
  3. Scroll all the way down and click on App volume and device preferences.
  4. You'll see a list of all apps that can play audio. Locate Spotify and set the correct default device.

It's also worth making sure your audio device's sample rate is set anywhere between 44.1kHz and 192kHz:

1. While in Sound settings, click on Sound control panel on the right.
  2. Right-click on the correct audio device > Properties.
  3. Click on the Advanced tab and set the sample rate anywhere between 44.1kHz and 192kHz.

If you use any VPN on your laptop, try disabling it to see if that does the trick.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi, sorry to reply so late. I simply formatted the laptop because I did a lot to the sound drivers among others and installed some software that messes up with laptop itself a lot. It was just Spotify that I couldn't figure out how to start, foobar and spotify in web browser worked just fine.

Now I am using Spotify mostly through my server using its api

Suggested posts