Step 1

NEXT STEP

I can't move my playlist out of the folder

Solved!

I can't move my playlist out of the folder

I think it used to work, but it doesnt now

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi folks, this is a known issue since the last Desktop release - it will be resolved in the next Desktop release in ~7 days. For now you can use the Web Player to deal with folders and it will sync to Desktop. Sorry about this. 

View solution in original post

57 Replies

Plan

Premium

Country

Brazil

Device

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I accidentally ended up moving my folder inside another folder on my spotify, the problem is that I can't remove that folder from inside this folder, now I tried to create another folder and I'm trying to move my playlists that are in the folder that is inside the my folder. But I just can't move my playlists. Why is this system so horrible?

Does anyone have an idea what I can do?

Hey @SuperSoa4ker,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and welcome. 

We've tried to replicate the issue you mentioned, but we couldn't. The app should let you move the folders by dragging them within the sidebar. In this case, we'd recommend first performing a clean reinstall of the app by following the steps in this article. This is often an overlooked step, but it’s more thorough than a quick one and can be helpful in getting rid of any cache that might be causing trouble. 

If the issue persists, would you mind trying it using the Web Player to see if it makes any difference?

Lastly, include in your next response the Spotify version you're currently running to continue investigating the case.

We'll be on the lookout. 

OscarDCModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have the same problem. In fact I can't move ANY of my playlists in any way anymore. The playlists are stuck in the place where they were when this problem started. It seems like this problem started with this new update. What is going on? Please fix this! It should go without saying that people want to move their playlists.

Hi folks!

Sounds like you have the new desktop UI, which is an ongoing test Spotify's currently running for some users. It's still possible to move playlists out from folders, you just need to set the appropriate sort and filter options first:

1. Set the filter to Playlists.
  2. Set the sort order to Custom order.

Capture.PNG

You should now be able to drag & drop playlists outside of your folders as well as change their order.

If you have any additional feedback on the new desktop UI, feel free to share it in this thread.

Cheers!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Hi,

Thanks for explaining how to move playlist. But it seems that something is wrong with moving a folder: I can drag & drop a folder into a folder but I can't drag & drop a folder between two folders to change the ordering (the two folders are highlighted in green to indicate that I can move the folder into them but before there was an horizontal green light between the two folders to indicate that I can drag & drop the folder between these two folders). Is there a way to do that?

Best,

Lucas

PS: I'm not a big fan of the new UI...

Hey @LucasPa 

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

Can you make sure if you've set the order to Custom on your device? Once you do that - you should be able to move your folders around.

More info about Sort and Filter can be found in this support article.

If the above is not the case - feel free to elaborate further on what you'd like to do. A quick video would also be helpful as this way we can get a better understanding and advise you further.

Hope this helps. Take care 🙂 

LyubkaModerator

I have the same problem, i have set it to custom order and it still wont let me move my playlist. This happened when i created a folder and accidentally moved it into another folder. So now i have a folder stuck inside a folder...

Hey @Fork21 

This sounds a bit odd and we'll do our best to help you out.

Could you please send us a screen recording of what happens when you try to move your playlists with Custom Order set? This way we can have a closer look. You can attach it to your next response by using the Insert Video option in the post editor. If the attachment is too big - we'd recommend uploading it to Google Drive and sharing the link with us (make sure the video has the permissions for anyone to see it). 

We'll be on the lookout for your response. 

LyubkaModerator

Spotify should stop trying to "fix" what isn't broken. It still won't let me move my folder even when sorted by "playlists" and "custom order" is selected. What a joke. 

I am having the same problem. Even with my setting on "custom order" I can not move a playlist out of a folder. I am including a link to a screen recording I made - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xUxQlppyJZr4omZYpAJLuCbxL_XolU62/view?usp=sharing

Hey folks,

Thanks for your replies.

@birdsongdoula, thanks for the video recording you kindly sent us. We suggest you log out and log in twice in a row to your Spotify account. This could sound a little bit odd, but this way the system will force a resync of your account in general. Give it a try, and let us know how it goes.

If the above doesn't do the trick, we'd like to gather some additional info. Would you mind sharing with us the make/model and OS of the device on which you notice this behavior, along with the Spotify version you're running there?

@mei-x, in this case, would you mind sharing with us the make/model and OS of the affected device, along with the Spotify version you're running there?

Lastly, did you notice if this started to happen after a specific event, such as an OS update? If yes, please send us the details.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

I think that i've found out why it seems not to be working.

You need to double click the folder you want to sort first (to get it selected or "enter" it, for lack of better words) and then both "custom order" and moving/ dragging option are available again. If you need to move the playlist to another folder, just use the new move feature first. Worked for me both on windows app and web app.

Like the new scrolling/ grouping playlists folder and the refreshed design a lot! Thanks Spotify!

I think I've found a solution too. You have a folder or a playlist (Let's call it A) that's stuck in a folder (Call it B). I hope your B itself is in another folder (Call it C).

To move A out of B so they place next to each other, you need to drag A to the 'Go Back' button which is above the Playlists menu. If you've paid enough attention, A must go into a folder. So you can't just place it next to B. Instead, hold it on the 'Go Back' button until you go back even further. When you see C, drag A into it. This way A and B will be put next to each other.

So if this is your case:

C

B

A
And you want it to be this way:
C
     B

A
Just drag A to C not B.

Hope this help you solve your problem.

But this is awkward. It shouldn't be this way. The new update sucks. No offense to anyone.How to drag move a Playlist/folder out of another folder

Screenshot (114).png

To better explain, you need to drag your playlist and hold it for a bit within the playlists section 

image_2023-05-14_161707310.png

It will be grey but soon it will prompt a "unpin" confirmation, agree to it and it will turn white and you can now move your playlists outside the folder. If you noticed that playlist outside has a dimmer look that means you can't yet but when they return to their original colour, then you can move your playlist. 

Spotify programmers and UX designers must be stupid! Why?

People need to write and ask how and why can't I move my playlist as I want (simple choose a folder and move as it worked before). This means they failed! Where is Spotify to take responsibility? Spotify went popular once because of user friendly interface, now - this "new" design (for Spotify desktop) it's a mess. You need to google to understand how programmers/designers are thinking.... (this reminds me of Facebook when they started experimenting with their UI). Rework the proposal and do it right!

I can't move my playlists either. I can move them from folder to folder but I don't want a playlist in any folder at all but it won't allow me to move it directly next to the rest of my playlists not in folders. I'm not going to risk deleting the folder because I am afraid that it will delete the playlists as well but would like a solution to this

Hey there @ak3107,

You should be able to move your Playlists out of the Folders with the steps given by @Drake2022, a few posts back. Thanks @Drake2022 for sharing that info. Here is a video that might be helpful.

On another note, this is expected behavior with the latest interface. We understand if you're not satisfied with this, and we appreciate your feedback as it helps inform our decisions going forward.

Let us know how that goes!

Susan_GPModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Hey @birdsongdoula - in your video you are trying to drag the playlist between the "pinned" items at the top of your library, that's why it won't let you. That is expected behaviour. You can "pin" any 4 items at the top of your library (folders, playlists etc). But you can't change the order of these by dragging something in. You can drag and reorder everything else BELOW the pinned items. Hope this helps. 

Suggested posts