Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Spotify but it still crashes

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Spotify but it still crashes

Hi, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Spotify app for windows but it still crashes. I listen to Spotify while I'm doing school/work. Please help...

~Misti

why.png
13 Replies

same situation. i get a song not available error code for my playlists and downloads,  tried uninstalling reinstalling, no effect. 

The app just doesn't work anymore .. My Browse tab is broken (not loading anything), my download is deleted randomly, one of my playlists disappeared, not mentioning the fact that the whole app crashes every now and then without reason, media keys don't work anymore .... well the whole app just doesn't works anymore, 

I guess we need to wait for an update, and use the web player till it's fixed.

Same thing here!  Songs randomly stop playing. Have to press pause/play like every other song. Tried reinstalling, no effect.  

Hi

You say you have uninstalled and reinstalled the APP to no avail... Have you tried the desktop version instead of the windows store app [or the other way around]?

Maybe you have a glitch with one version but the other might work?

Make sure whichever one you have is properly uninstalled, and then I would recommend trying the other version, the desktop one by the sound of it.

Here are the instructions for doing a clean reinstall for the different versions.

https://support.spotify.com/uk/using_spotify/troubleshooting/reinstallation-of-spotify/

Okay so i've migrated to the windows store version (witch is still in version 1.0.75.483, and it doesn't crashes anymore. The Desktop version is in version 1.0.77.XXX so I guess the last build for the desktop version is broken, that's the reason why it still crashes after reinstall...

Just migrate to the store version (witch is always one or two versions behind the desktop) and you should be good to go!

Interesting. I am using the desktop version and I am using 1.0.75.xxx

Are you sure you are not signed up to do trials or beta versions or something?

Might be worth checking your settings to see if you were being tested out on an unstable build that's not ready for release yet.

I didn't even knew there was a beta test program for the app so it's very unlikely that I installed it I guess 😕

Also, I've downloaded the setup from the official Spotify page, in the download tab, so it should be a regular setup for a regular version ..

Is there any way for me to see if I'm on beta test or not? how can I see this and change it?

I just had a look myself to see if there was any option in accounts settings [there wasn't].

I know that Netflix as an example has a program where they beta test new features on a subset of their user-base to test for bugs and to get feedback before rolling features out to the whole community and you need to opt out of those features. But the option to do so is in the account settings and I can't see a similar feature in Spotify.

However my desktop version is 2 version behind the one you reported, and doesn't want to update, and I am using a completely up-to-date version of windows. So I don't see why I wouldn't have the latest stable release version. And you say it's the same as the Store app. So one possibility I see, and only Spotify can confirm this, is that for some reason they were serving up a beta version to you as some part of a testing group.
either that, or like MS windows they use telemetry to look at your hardware and decide if your machine is ready for the latest version and withhold updates until it is. And they decided [wrongly?] that your machine was ready and mine isn't. But that kind of feature sounds like it's outside of Spotify's dev budget.

Well I'm not going to lie, I have a pretty good PC, but it would be weird from spotify to bring beta versions to any good PC ...? that doesn't make any sense. I did search for any beta version of spotify, but it seems that the beta program ended in 2014, since then there simply isn't any beta version out there for John Doe.. There also isn't any release notes.

While searching a little bit on the Spotify Community, it seems a lot of people are on the same version (1.0.77.xx) and this release seems to crash for everyone. That's pretty weird.

Hey @patjasmo

I don't think telemetry or other similar things have anything to do with it. Spotify simply rolls updates out gradually. 🙂 I'm also on version 1.0.75 with no issues.

I do recommend trying out a clean reinstall:

1. Close Spotify and uninstall it.

2. Go to %AppData% in Windows Explorer, and delete any Spotify folders you find in Local and Roaming folders.

3. Restart your computer.

4. Install Spotify from here (it's the offline installer)

Keep me posted 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

hi @Sebasty 

First of all, thanks for the answer. I've followed your advices, so the installation is okay, but unfortunately it keeps pushing the version 1.0.77.xx on my app, so I'm stuck again with a crashing app 😕 I don't really know what to do anymore, it keeps up giving me this broken build. It crashes everytime a song ends, eveytime I change song (unless the app is open since less than five minutes, then it allows me to change song), everytime when I use media keys on the keyboard.. It's frustrating ^^

Also the "Browse" tab takes in the best case ten minutes to load (no joke) or it doesn't load at all, resulting on a crash ... again. 

I guess only Spotify can fix this, it seems I'm not the opnly one with that problem, found a few other topics with people having the same version that crashes all the time.

Capture d’écran (76).png

@patjasmo

I read that you migrated on the Windows Store version earlier. Is that one not working anymore?

I would suggest turning off hardware acceleration for Spotify. You can do it by clicking on the three dots upper left corner - View - remove the tick from Harfware Acceleration.

In Preferences (hit Ctrl + P in Spotify) you can also try switching off all local files under "Show songs from".

Also, make sure you have all the necessary Windows Updates installed. 🙂

Keep me posted!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Yes I migrated to the Windows Store version earlier but it's also installing the version 1.0.77, so it's having the exact same issues.

Also I realised something, I'm having two /three updates per week sometimes, is this normal on Spotify? or am I really in some kind of beta program without knowing it?

I turned off Hardware Acceleration and local files, I also changed the download destination for the songs to a non "admin protected" folder (C:\user\music), So for now I'm feeling confident, the app's not crashing anymore, but is just extremely slow and the browse tab still won't show up.. I'm not complaining, I'll just wait for an update.

Thanks again Sebasty 🙂

Suggested posts