Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

If I uninstall Spotify do I also lose the cache?

Solved!

If I uninstall Spotify do I also lose the cache?

I get an error whenever the Spotify installer attempts the latest update. In order to update to the latest version, it looks as though I'm going to have to uninstall Spotify then re-install. I don't mind this, but I'm on pay-as-you-go Internet and don't want to lose my cache (presently about 2GB). If I uninstall Spotify do I also lose the cache?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Just to confirm that the cache is deleted if you uninstall Spotify. I've uninstalled the software but didn't try backing up and restoring the cache. As it happens, I can't reinstall as I'm still getting the same problem even if with the latest updater.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

It would make most sense for it to delete the cache, as it is very space-intensive, and would be a bad thing to leave behind on your computer. However, I am not completely sure whether it does or not.

If you want to keep your cache and not redownload, go to the following location where it is located (if you are a Windows user):

C:\Users\"UserName"\AppData\Local\Spotify\Storage

You can copy this folder and paste it somewhere else as a backup, but setting it as read-only should be sufficient as well. It may also be possible to get it back if it were deleted by having Windows roll-back the folder.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Thanks very much, adisib.

Yes, I thought about backing up and restoring the cache. But would Spoltify even know it was there? Wouldn't I also lose the link between my playlists and the cache? I imagine there's an index somewhere.

By the way, if anyone's had the same problem with the updater and managed to resolve it, please do let me know.

Marked as solution

Just to confirm that the cache is deleted if you uninstall Spotify. I've uninstalled the software but didn't try backing up and restoring the cache. As it happens, I can't reinstall as I'm still getting the same problem even if with the latest updater.

Suggested posts