Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Import songs from local library, then link them to online version so I can delete the local mp3's

Import songs from local library, then link them to online version so I can delete the local mp3's

Plan

Premium

Country

BE 

Device

Windows laptop

Operating System

Windows 7, windows 10

My Question or Issue

I want to convert my local files to a spotify playlist and then delete my local files.

Not all mp3-tags are correct, but most of them should be working.

I imported my local library into spotify (no problems here) and then deleted my local files (no problems here).

I then added all the files in my local folder on spotify to a new playlist. However, not a single one of those songs are now playable by Spotify. It says it cannot play the track.

'the song is not available. if you have the file on your computer, you can import it'

I am aware that not all tags are correct, but many of them feature both an artist and a song title, so how can I convert the songs to be linked to the online-spotify equivalent, instead of being linked to my local downloaded songs?

Many thanks in advance!

1 Reply

Hey @stillborn007, welcome to the Community.

Hope you are doing great!

Note: Files or downloads from illegal sources are not permitted.

Spotify supports the following file types: 

• .mp3
  • .m4p (unless it contains video)
  • .mp4 (if QuickTime is installed on your computer)

The iTunes lossless format (M4A) is not supported.

We’ll do our best to match any unsupported local files with songs from the Spotify catalog.

If Spotify can’t import a file, we’ll do our best to match it with songs from the Spotify catalog. The version we match with might differ from the original. 

You still need to have the local files in Spotify for them to work.

Read this FAQ about Local Files for more info.

Have a nice day 🙂

Suggested posts