Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Is it possible to use spotify with a 5.1 setup?

Solved!

Is it possible to use spotify with a 5.1 setup?

Tried googling and looking over the forums however I can't seem to find an answer/solution.

I have a 5.1 speaker setup (5 speakers + a sub) however spotify sounds only use 2 speakers + the sub. This is natural for most audio files, however I was wondering if there was a way of converting it to 5.1.

I usually use a program called Foobar which converts mp3 files into 5.1 when you play them, making sound come out of all speakers, however there is no option for this within spotify.

Has anyone found a solution to this?

49 Replies

Hello David,

Now is my question, where do i put the "--disable-audio-output-resampler"?

I hope to hear soon from you!

Greetz

Max

At the end of the path of the shortcut target.

Open the properties of the spotify shortcut,
See image for location

http://imgur.com/ZbzRT6C

The only way I can get it to play in 5.1 is to hook my macbook up to my TV and then surround sound up to my TV via Optical. The TV converts it to 5.1. Hope that helps if it hasn't already said before.

I have the solution for Realtek devices!

Right-click the sound button next to the clock and go to Playback Devices, right-click again on your sound card, go to properties and then tab improvements and choose the "speaker fill"

This solved my problem, now the sound comes out in the 5 boxes!

Sorry if something was confusing I used the translator to write!

spot.jpg

calangobruno, this solved my problem, thank you!

Unfortunately that doesn't work for me on Win 10, I don't have the option for speaker-fill.

I can tell you that if you use the webplayer on MS EDGE (only!) it works perfectly.  It's the only browser that will playback in 5.1 that I've seen.  Unfortunately you can't select a higher bitrate stream with the webplayer, but it's ok.  The other option I've found is to use a spotify add-on with Kodi, this actually sounds fantastic but is a bit clunky to use.

calangobruno thanks for your post. It was helpful for me with one small difference. Instead of clicking  "speaker fill" I just ticked "Dolby Prologic IIx" and Spotify plays now all 5.1
2017-03-02.png

That worked for me too. Thanks very much!! Obiously, my sound driver has the option to fill all speakers

I have found a fix for mine!

Download Voicemeeter:

http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Voicemeeter/

then install it, and reboot your pc.

go to playback devices.

And set up the vooicemeter app as 7.1, but untip the side pairs if u have 5.1 . See photo

fix2.PNGfix3.PNG

And just click next, next, finish.

Then setup your speaker in Voicemeeter. See photo

fix.PNG

Now we need to let it start every bootup, so we need to put a shortcut in the startup map.

Goto Start (windows logo)

All programms

Go to the Startup map, and right click than click on open.

Than go back to all programs, and find a map called VB Audio.

Open the map, also the voicemeeter app.

Copy the app called, Voicemeeter, in the Startup map that we just opend.

DONE! I hope it worked!!

Internet Explorer,listen to music through Spotify Web Player might help.
In my case, this works!
Just give it a try!

Why does it still not work for me? I did it all, but Spotify still refuses to give me my mustic in 5.1.

Did you try with vb-audio? It worked for me.

if mine did'nt work you should test your speakers. Maybe a bug in your windows. Bequase voicemeeter just sets 2.1 to 5.1. There is no special effects, it just lets your pc think the back speakers are the same as the front.

Man I owe u a big one. Thanks a lot !!!!!! 

Nice that you found a fix!

Sorry for my late response but, does this work?

I have found a fix for mine!

Download Voicemeeter:

http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Voicemeeter/

then install it, and reboot your pc.

go to playback devices.

And set up the vooicemeter app as 7.1, but untip the side pairs if u have 5.1 . See photo

fix2.PNGfix3.PNG

And just click next, next, finish.

Then setup your speaker in Voicemeeter. See photo

fix.PNG

Now we need to let it start every bootup, so we need to put a shortcut in the startup map.

Goto Start (windows logo)

All programms

Go to the Startup map, and right click than click on open.

Than go back to all programs, and find a map called VB Audio.

Open the map, also the voicemeeter app.

Copy the app called, Voicemeeter, in the Startup map that we just opend.

DONE! I hope it worked!!

If you use a receiver via hdmi, all you got to do is go to audio settings in windows and set your playback device to STEREO, then on the receiver choose to upmix the sound to dolby surround or dts neural x (new upmixers) or pro logic II (old)

Remember to switch back to 5.1 or 7.1 BEFORE starting up a game or else the game will be stereo upmixed as well, and not native surround sound.

For sound cards, you will have to use the driver settings of the particular card to upmix the sound.

Using PLiix or dts etc. is a poor substitute for speaker fill.  Try using Deezer with Microsoft Edge and you'll see how much improved it is over any of those matrixed playback algorithms use by receivers.  This used to be able to be accomplished by using Spotify with Edge browser, but the functionality has been lost for several months with no update, leaving you with the option of using KODI to upmix 2 channel for a similar result, or quitting Spotify and using Deezer. 

Only disable "hardware aceleration" in spotify settings and now sound all the speakers. I hope that it help us. Sorry for my english I  speak spanish normally.

Suggested posts